CLUB CARLTON
ORIGINAL CLUB WEST PERTH
DOB 1/02/1989
HEIGHT 179.8 CM
WEIGHT 74.7 KG

POSITION
Medium Defender
BIO
Rebounding defender who wins contested football, can take a good mark and reads the game well. Impressive for WA in the NAB AFL U18 Championships this year.

Re: The Draft- Discussion Thread

AME STEVEN BROWNE
CLUB CARLTON
ORIGINAL CLUB WEST PERTH
DOB 1/02/1989
HEIGHT 179.8 CM
WEIGHT 74.7 KG

POSITION
Medium Defender
BIO
Rebounding defender who wins contested football, can take a good mark and reads the game well. Impressive for WA in the NAB AFL U18 Championships this year.

Hmmm.... iwouldn't have thought we needed another small, running defender....

Found this on Browne also - I'm very happy for a defender to join the Blues. :thumbsu:

#22 - Steven Browne - Medium Defender - West Perth - 180cm, 75kgs

One of my fav WA boys, very versatile, has mostly played back in state games but is a high quality onballer /forward who likes to kick goals, excellent over head mark, reads the fall of the ball very well, doesn't over attack from defence, spots turnovers early and is often the 1st man back, stays composed , good disposal. Made his league debut after 18s carnival and was outstanding. High quality backman with midfield skills and highest level footy smarts, would lead most sides he plays for in 1%'ers and hard ball gets...no down side, will make the ideal go to defensive player desperately needed by the Eagles

With our plethora of talented midfielders and smalls im surprised we took Browne. From what i've heard i woulda rathered a KPP like someone like Gourdis considering we lost Kennedy and Whitnall this year and have a bit of a gap in the forwardline now

Found this on Browne also - I'm very happy for a defender to join the Blues. :thumbsu:

#22 - Steven Browne - Medium Defender - West Perth - 180cm, 75kgs

One of my fav WA boys, very versatile, has mostly played back in state games but is a high quality onballer /forward who likes to kick goals, excellent over head mark, reads the fall of the ball very well, doesn't over attack from defence, spots turnovers early and is often the 1st man back, stays composed , good disposal. Made his league debut after 18s carnival and was outstanding. High quality backman with midfield skills and highest level footy smarts, would lead most sides he plays for in 1%'ers and hard ball gets...no down side, will make the ideal go to defensive player desperately needed by the Eagles

SOUNDS LIKE AN ANDY McKAY TO ME

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 46
Dennis Armfield
Height 181.4
Weight 77.6
Swan District
BIO
Medium midfielder with excellent pace and agility. Recorded a time of 2.83sec for 20m and 8.23sec for AFL Agility Test at NAB AFL Draft Screening Session. Competitive player who is strong overhead for his size.

Besides Scotland we don't have any 'small' running defenders....

So I would imagine our next pick we would take a KPP either forward or back.

we have blokes who can play a small running defender/half back role though. stevens has at times, as has walker, and hopefully anderson can fill out small defender role

Pick 46
Dennis Armfield
Height 181.4
Weight 77.6
Swan District
BIO
Medium midfielder with excellent pace and agility. Recorded a time of 2.83sec for 20m and 8.23sec for AFL Agility Test at NAB AFL Draft Screening Session. Competitive player who is strong overhead for his size.

Very different to last year's draft, where we went with tall mids - shortest being Gibbs at about 188cm.

Steven Browne – West Perth, WA, 179.8cm, 74.7kg, DOB 1/2/89
Honours
  • Western Australia representative – winners of the 2007 NAB AFL Under-18 Championship
Kevin Sheehan, AFL National Talent Manager says:
“Steven is your unobtrusive medium defender who just makes very few errors. He’s a clean ball handler who’s quite strong overhead, uses the ball right and left with his feet very, very well and mops everything up. He played consistently for WA at under-18 level, stepped up for six games at senior level in the WAFL – including one best on ground. Whatever level he’s put to, he’s unfazed, unflappable and continually makes good decisions; a neat and tidy player.
“What he did after the under-18’s, to step up and go and play with the seniors and actually dominate just shows that step-ups are no surprise to him; he just takes it in his stride, he’s one of those players.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton 2007 AFL Draft - Official

Remove this Banner Ad

Back