Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the whole game. SA was terrible but Lucas and Ben were in their top 3-4 players again.

Lucas and Rozee comparison very generous but was his best game for the championships easily. Kicking better and racked up the ball. Natural winger. Holds his width very well which is rare in under 18s. Said it before but he reminds me alot of Lachie Hunter. Would still like to see him be more agressive with his kicking.

Ben didnt get much space today. Alot of handballs but still won his fair share and was clean off the deck. Lucas better today but Ben still played well though probably his least impactful game of the championships.

Ben has been SAs most consistent player across the 3 games. Would be favourite for their MVP atm and a likely All Australian. Lucas also an outside chance for AA but needs a big game 4.

As far as draft range nothing has changed. Feel like Ben is firming for pick 10-20 and Lucas 25-45. Doubt much changes there even if they have a big finish to the year at Glenelg as recruiters dont seem to place much weight on SANFL under 18s. Championships were always going to determine their draft position.

Watched the whole game. SA was terrible but Lucas and Ben were in their top 3-4 players again.

Lucas and Rozee comparison very generous but was his best game for the championships easily. Kicking better and racked up the ball. Natural winger. Holds his width very well which is rare in under 18s. Said it before but he reminds me alot of Lachie Hunter. Would still like to see him be more agressive with his kicking.

Ben didnt get much space today. Alot of handballs but still won his fair share and was clean off the deck. Lucas better today but Ben still played well though probably his least impactful game of the championships.

Ben has been SAs most consistent player across the 3 games. Would be favourite for their MVP atm and a likely All Australian. Lucas also an outside chance for AA but needs a big game 4.

As far as draft range nothing has changed. Feel like Ben is firming for pick 10-20 and Lucas 25-45. Doubt much changes there even if they have a big finish to the year at Glenelg as recruiters dont seem to place much weight on SANFL under 18s. Championships were always going to determine their draft position.
l tend to agree with Arrow's assessment of the Campo brothers, Lucas has more upside over the next 1-2 years & will continue to improve.
Ben already looks well developed, l would still rate him in the 15-20 range, looks very much like a endurance mid fielder without genuine outside speed.

All I see is a Bontempelli clone who if he's inherited his fathers leap is also going to be able to take hangers like Fyfe did.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

(Definitely not getting ahead of myself)
my favourite part is he's even more athletic than AW1

I think the whole father son '"unfair advantage" has been blown up due to a couple of high picks in recent years (Daicos, Ashcroft, Darcy) that happened to go to clubs already going well. Plus, it's been lumped in with the academy system. It's really a lucky dip. You can't build a sustainable advantage out of father son.

When you look at it there have been about 8 first round father sons under the current system. Most sons come from players who played late 90s / early 2000s where every team was in the comp bar GC and GWS so no team really has an advantage. WA and SA teams winge that it's biased towards Vic teams which made sense 10-15 years ago but not now.

Compare that to the academy system which has produced more then 20 first rounders between split amongst only 4 clubs it's a completely different thing.
Roughly 1200 fathers have played for Carlton how many can be fathering children in each draft year --
Academy get to handpick kids out of 500-1000 each year --
AFL know there are 6-10 top end F/S coming to top end teams so they don't want them getting to far ahead with there compromised drafts coming up ..
Of the 1200 fathers from Carlton I would say only Waite has been top line(never reached his ceiling ) in the AFL era..
I would rather AFL run the academies for the AFL instead of the smaller northern clubs as big clubs are paying for them anyway through compensation -then just make everything open slather no father son etc-- The so called go home factor should take them back to there original state same as sons go back to play for there fathers club ..

A choice he was given and no other draftee? He's also not from sydney. Born in Melbourne and lived in Brisbane and Sydney.

Again. Those academies should be for outreach. Not for stealing sons of guns who were always going to play pro.

They completely stole him.
He lived in Sydney from age 6 until he was drafted and was in Sydney’s academy for years, there’s no stealing involved.

All father sons or academy players get to choose if they want to go to their respective clubs.

Blakey chose Sydney. He didn’t do anything not afforded to other players in the same situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He lived in Sydney from age 6 until he was drafted and was in Sydney’s academy for years, there’s no stealing involved.

All father sons or academy players get to choose if they want to go to their respective clubs.

Blakey chose Sydney. He didn’t do anything not afforded to other players in the same situation.
You've completely missed the point and it was in my last post.

Stats for the twins against WA:

Ben: 7 kicks, 16 handballs, 9 contested, 5 clearances, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 262 metres gained, 5 i50s

Lucas: 19 kicks, 10 handballs, 6 contested, 1 clearance, 5 marks (1 contested), 5 tackles, 672 metres gained, 4 i50s.

Green is game high, blue is team high.

Stats for the twins against WA:

Ben: 7 kicks, 16 handballs, 9 contested, 5 clearances, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 262 metres gained, 5 i50s

Lucas: 19 kicks, 10 handballs, 6 contested, 1 clearance, 5 marks (1 contested), 5 tackles, 672 metres gained, 4 i50s.

Green is game high, blue is team high.
Is it time to now hide these 2 for the rest of 2024? I feel that time surely is approaching quickly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back