Carlton adopts a youth policy

Remove this Banner Ad

From Article:

"It is believed Croad holds plenty of appeal to new Carlton coach Denis Pagan as a key-position player at either end of the ground, but the bottom-placed club is currently keen to promote a youth policy."

It seems from this that Pagan wants him but the club doesnt........Pagan will never change. Short term good for no long term gain......:eek:

Originally posted by Royal Blue And White
Pagan will never change. Short term good for no long term gain......:eek:

I'll take the "no long term gain" we got out of recruiting Laidley, Blakey, Winnie, Grant, McCartney, Scott, Roberts, Bell, Pike, Robbins, Sav, Sinclair, Porter any day.

22 is hardly over the hill, and if Denis thinks that he can get him playing to his potential I would argue that he could be as good as a top rated draft pick. I would also take the story with a grain of salt. I doubt the reporter knows the deal on the table, Denis might have been interested, but maybe to swap players instead of the draft pick, or maybe Carlton would have traded players to another club for a high draft pick.

Moomba

Pagan didn't recruited Blakey, Roberts and Laidley. That was Schimma.
And for what it's worth, I'd trade the second pick overall for Croad, particularly given there is no standout tall in the top two and that the Blues are in desperate need of a player capable of playing at CHB.

Originally posted by windsock
Pagan didn't recruited Blakey, Roberts and Laidley. That was Schimma.
And for what it's worth, I'd trade the second pick overall for Croad, particularly given there is no standout tall in the top two and that the Blues are in desperate need of a player capable of playing at CHB.

The point being that regardless of who recruited the above players, recycled players can be of great benefit to a club. Does anyone seriously think Brisbane would have done nearly as well the last two years without the likes of Lynch, Pike, Michael, Brad Scott. Or Collingwood without Buckley, Rocca, Licuria, Steinfort etc.

We should remember also that while we would all love our young drafted kids to come through and be the superstars of our future, we wouldn't have two of them without having first picked up a recycyled 20-odd year old player recycled from Fremantle.

Moomba

i agree.....recycled players can be very handy....provided they actually have potential.....*cough* bourke *cough*....then they can obviously add something to the team....saying that though, we have a wealth of talent in our list at the moment....we just need to utilise it.

Originally posted by moomba

The point being that regardless of who recruited the above players, recycled players can be of great benefit to a club. Does anyone seriously think Brisbane would have done nearly as well the last two years without the likes of Lynch, Pike, Michael, Brad Scott. Or Collingwood without Buckley, Rocca, Licuria, Steinfort etc.

We should remember also that while we would all love our young drafted kids to come through and be the superstars of our future, we wouldn't have two of them without having first picked up a recycyled 20-odd year old player recycled from Fremantle.

Moomba

Given the right circumstances I don't have a problem with drafting recycled talent either.
BTW I'd hardly rate some of those names as 'recycled' talent. Rocca, Buckley and Lynch in their early 20s were hardly what i'd put into that category!

Originally posted by windsock
Given the right circumstances I don't have a problem with drafting recycled talent either.
BTW I'd hardly rate some of those names as 'recycled' talent. Rocca, Buckley and Lynch in their early 20s were hardly what i'd put into that category!

Remember who the initial post was referring. I would put Buckley and Lynch in particular in the same category as Croad.

Moomba

Remember who the initial post was referring. I would put Buckley and Lynch in particular in the same category as Croad.

Moomba

Seperated only by the obvious differences in ability of course?

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Seperated only by the obvious differences in ability of course?

I'd say level of potential reached at the moment rather than ability. If he ever puts it together I think Croad could be one of the elite. Question is will it ever happen.

Moomba

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he ever puts it together I think Croad could be one of the elite.

Moomba

Have to disagree there mate. I reckon he is a very limited footballer. Not physically, but between the ears. You can't teach a 22yo to know when he is going to be tackled, or when he should suck off a contest to protect a teamate. I watch him closely, and the things that restrict him as a footballer, you cannot teach.

His head is beyond repair. No awareness, no footy smarts, shocking temprement and try hard tough. Sure he can run, kick and mark with the best of them, but considering these obvious sklls, you have to ask yourself why he is not taken seriously by coaches, players, fans etc etc.

Unreliable. Looks great, kicks nice goals, take marks, decks a bloke every now and then, but would be a bugger to coach, and even worse to play with.

The best players do all the little things better than everyone else. Croad doesn't just do them poorly, he doesn't do 'em at all.

Originally posted by Dingster
The worrying thing about Croad is that Freo went to all the trouble of bringing him over and setting him....then want to trade him a year later. Obviously not the messiah.

Freo don't know what they want!!! A lot like ... :D :D

Originally posted by Dingster
The worrying thing about Croad is that Freo went to all the trouble of bringing him over and setting him....then want to trade him a year later. Obviously not the messiah.

Mind you, Freo also got rid of Andrew McLeod and Peter Bell. Maybe we should go for Croad, give him a few years of real footy at Arden Street, and then send him back to Freo for 2 top 10 picks and a mid-range player.

I don't recall reading anywhere that Fremantle want to trade Croad... in fact I'm pretty sure I've read articles where a Fremantle official has stated they are NOT trading him.

Seems more of a case of the media speculating who might be seen as expendable and tradeable because of salary cap restrictions, looking for a big scoop when there may not be one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton adopts a youth policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back