Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

All the weekend really showed is that Carlton's best football is premiership-standard (or thereabouts), while their worst would see them lose finals to any team that qualifies
So, the same as every other team that's in the top 10-12?
Swans were the clear standout only a couple of weeks ago. Now they've lost 2 on the trot.
One of only 2 teams to lose to Tigers. Held Freo to 39pts in Perth, then lost to them on their home deck, where they hadn't lost all year. Then lost to 15th placed Saints.
They've had quarters where they've kicked 1.0 or even 0.3 and 0.4. Then quarters where they've gone 7.4 (twice) and 7.3 (3x).
No team is perfect, but for some reason, you hold Carlton to a higher standard than everyone else.

No team is perfect, but for some reason, you hold Carlton to a higher standard than everyone else.
Its the BigFooty carry on (from Carlton supporters) that other supporters try to peg them back a bit.

If you don't think it's real, the Essendon related threads on the main board are flooded with carry on from Carlton supporters, the Collingwood v Carlton thread is a pissing contest lead by the second placed Carlton.

So, the same as every other team that's in the top 10-12?
Swans were the clear standout only a couple of weeks ago. Now they've lost 2 on the trot.
One of only 2 teams to lose to Tigers. Held Freo to 39pts in Perth, then lost to them on their home deck, where they hadn't lost all year. Then lost to 15th placed Saints.
They've had quarters where they've kicked 1.0 or even 0.3 and 0.4. Then quarters where they've gone 7.4 (twice) and 7.3 (3x).
Nah but the difference with Carlton, and why I'd have them second favourite (like most) is that their ceiling - their best football - is better than that of the other teams besides Sydney (who need to prove themselves on the G in a GF).

Of course in finals there's no guarantee everybody plays their best football, in fact it's very unlikely. But when you predict things you have to base it on that unless you are somehow going to call out who chokes and underperforms. And that mostly descends into trolling.

About Sydney: many premiership teams have had a little mid or late season lull when they are easily on top of the ladder. I'm not reading a huge amount into it unless it continues. But they were probably elevated a little too high by people to begin with. Getting an in-form Carlton, Collingwood type side at the G in September would be close to a 50/50 even if Sydney were undefeated.

Your last sentence doesn't make much sense. There aren't many standout teams this year. People who criticise Carlton are declared trolls. But people who rate them about as much as they are in the premiership odds, are setting impossible standards? You really can't win with sulky Carlton supporters. So combative all the time, for little reason.

Its the BigFooty carry on (from Carlton supporters) that other supporters try to peg them back a bit.

If you don't think it's real, the Essendon related threads on the main board are flooded with carry on from Carlton supporters, the Collingwood v Carlton thread is a pissing contest lead by the second placed Carlton.
The thing is I'm not trying to peg them back.

They deserved to lose when they lost (the excuse carry on got ridiculous at times), and deserved to win when they won (I've been the first to praise/rate them - and have been tipping them to win almost every game this season). Holding that opinion throughout the season blew a few of their supporters minds, that's all.

Doesn't the old "win anywhere" come in to play?

Obviously I don't watch, or don't care enough to remember all the Blues losses, but why have they occurred? Crows (98-100), Cats (105-118), Magpies (79-85) and now Giants (104-116).

On the face the Crows one looks bad, from memory, the Blues had a few chances to put them away but couldn't nail it home.

I didn't see the Magpies or Cats losses but the Giants one was ugly no matter what way anyone wants to spin it. Seemed the Blues just couldn't stop the wave. 7 in a row and not one goal in almost 45 minutes of football. I wouldn't be worried enough to completely blow it up but concerning none the less.
The GWS loss was ugly, but there are reasons for that. GWS still might have won regardless, but the game got clawed back and blown open when Weitering and McGovern were both on the bench or in the rooms getting treatment. Weitering was clearly hindered for the rest of the game.
Down the other end, Curnow apparently rolled his ankle pre-game and was a chance of missing. He also clearly wasn't at his best, but he was out there, so he has to do better. I'd be interested to see his GPS numbers compared to his season averages. He barely left the F50 and didn't seem to do a lot of leading. I'd be surprised if he covered anywhere near the same amount of km and his top speed and repeat sprints would likely be very down. Makes for an easy day out for a defender.
TDK also spent time off getting treatment on his leg, which meant Harry (our best fwd on the day) had to take more ruck contests with he and Cripps taking 23 between them (double what they normally do).

These aren't excuses by any stretch. GWS blitzed us after quarter time and deserved the win, but it adds some context to the scoring drought and the ability for GWS to get back into it at the other end. Kudos to them for taking advantage of the mismatches.

That's a bit of a chicken vs egg argument.

Peaked too soon.
Should beat Kangaroos but won't beat Port Adelaide the following week.

This is the time of the year the big boys start to flex their muscle. No one cares what happened during May-June :)

You’re back!

You didn’t post for 3 weeks after we belted you by 11 goals.

Where were you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of the major reasons why a lot of opposing supporters dislike your team. Your supporters are always making things personal.

Instead of talking about the footy, you are obsessed in point out people.

Nah just enjoy calling trolls out.

To answer your question, I never said we should be feared. We’re as good a chance as any to make top 4 and from there, anything can happen - same as other clubs.

I’d be confident coming up against your mob considering what we did to you a few weeks ago.

Carltons games vs Port Adelaide, Collingwood and Hawthorn will make or break them. If they lose 2 or more of them they wont finish top 4. If they go 2-1 or better they will still finish 2nd with their other games vs North, St Kilda and WC, which they will win all 3 of.

It's been a good 24 hours. Pies being cooked makes it feel like we're playing with house money knowing they are miles and miles off the pace and will be for some time.
What I don't get is that Carlton are a big club but then the supporters embrace a small club mentality ("all that matters is where we sit in relation to Collingwood, and whether they are tracking poorly or not"). I'm guessing that wasn't always the case. Maybe in the '90s, Collingwood supporters were the same.

What I don't get is that Carlton are a big club but then the supporters embrace a small club mentality ("all that matters is where we sit in relation to Collingwood, and whether they are tracking poorly or not"). I'm guessing that wasn't always the case. Maybe in the '90s, Collingwood supporters were the same.
As the original Star Wars series taught us... Hate can be blinding. And I despise Collingwood just as much as I love Carlton.

Peaked too soon.
Should beat Kangaroos but won't beat Port Adelaide the following week.

This is the time of the year the big boys start to flex their muscle. No one cares what happened during May-June :)
This is what you said last time we faced Port, and look what happened. Went 5 on the trot after that.

No one cares what happened during July, either. Rather be peaking during finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back