Carlton formally request Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the first time that I and most likely many others have agreed with Mark Robinson.

Shameful stuff from Carlton.

The club finished lower than the other club who has applied for a PP, so buggered if I know how that could be shameful. You're right on one point though and that's that plenty in this thread have stooped the level of Mark Robinson, which just shows the lack of quality in the opinions being expressed around here.

It's possibly not sensible to have a reasoned discussion in here so suspect this point may go nowhere. This point has already been made and ignored.

Brisbane and Carlton have exactly the same argument. The won the same games this year as last. In the two years prior Carlton won 2 more reg season games. It got into finals by default (bombers).

So for the grand sum of 2 more wins over 4 years Carlton is being shameful? Only if the Lions are too. Is anyone capable of reasonably applying any level of logic to that and refuting it?

They're just following Robbo's lead in digging in because it's Carlton. A less reasoned bunch you'd struggle to find.

This is the first time that I and most likely many others have agreed with Mark Robinson.

Shameful stuff from Carlton.

Robbo pumping up Richmond to support his case. Normally he'd rather stab himself.

Suddenly he's changed his mind on a PP for Brisbane. Reckon this is more to do with the impact PP's would have on Essendon after falling to the bottom four.

That's not to say he's wrong. The bar's been set high with Melbourne, as it should be. No club comes close to warranting a PP this year.

The majority of our supporters know exactly what we are up to and don't expect to get a PP. Check out twitter, facebook, the Carlton board for proof of this. They also worded the email a little bit better than that.
You're a classic ODN.

Maybe the majority of BF Carlton board posters that think in lockstep but even then I reckon that's a stretch.

As I've been telling you for a decade, verbatim regurgitation of club talking points makes you look like a goose when that club is run so incompetently.

Aren't you tired of being proven wrong?

Haha, speaking of usual nonsense. You can't get out of the way of your own bias for even a second. Still incapable of having a normal conversation without your damaged psyche lashing out.
I criticise opinion and football clubs - you can't help but take personal shots.

Some things never change.

So Brisbane know they won't get one but applied anyway, but it's outlandish that Carlton did the same thing just in case. You are priceless JD. Pick an argument and stick to it.
A classic ODN straw-man.

Who said I support Brisbane asking for one? They are challenging your rabble for incompetence.

Now remind me . . . who's the bloke running the shop at Brisbane now? Wonder where he developed such a woe-is-me & handout mentality?

If you don't ask, the AFL don't consider and they could grant a PP simply because Brisbane were the only one that applied. If they were thinking remotely that way, we just put doubt in their minds.
That is absolute tripe & if you were honest you would admit that.

For a start, are Carlton that incompetent they can't think for themselves? They have to do it because Brisbane did? Do you seriously believe the AFL could justify one for Brisbane allowing them to leap-frog Carlton in the draft given recent results?

Remember, when it comes to AFL handouts, Carlton are in a league of their own. Money, the fixture, allowing VISY to openly cheat the cap, draft picks . . . you name it, you've had it. And despite being given all that, 25% of spoons this century are now taking pride of place at Princes Park.

Now you're on your knees begging again?

I'd ask the same question of your club I ask of you . . . aren't you sick of being proven wrong?

Why the Blues have joined Lions in asking for priority picks

"Carlton, like the Brisbane Lions, have asked for a priority draft pick. Carlton, like Brisbane, know they are unlikely to get it.

But the Blues' move didn't come in reaction to the Lions. They flagged it with the AFL at their meeting in June when the league had already done a 10-year analysis of the Blues list and drawn its own grim conclusion.

The Blues and Lions both appear to be reading from Melbourne's playbook of last year of asking for a priority pick to make sure you at least get an inflated free-agency compensation pick.

Brisbane's strongest arguments for a priority pick, and for their pick two in the draft not to be affected by any potential Matthew Kreuzer compensation pick to Carlton, is two-fold: football in Queensland, not just the Gabba, is in a mess and needs serious intervention; and second, don't punish us for not tanking.

The AFL will not, cannot, win here because it has caught itself in a bind of its own compromises.

Carlton feel like innocent bystanders caught in another's cross-fire. The Blues are worried by the fear that football in Queensland is more important to the AFL than football in Royal Parade. Being the lucky losers last week might be a short-lived windfall.

On Sunday Brisbane did something breathtakingly stupid – they won a game. The Lions defeated the Bulldogs in a game the Dogs did not care about losing but the Lions were careless to win.

The Dogs rested three senior players. The Lions did not. Had the Lions rested players, lost the game but safeguarded their future (the first – and potentially second – pick in the draft) they might have been found guilty of tanking.

The Dogs did rest players. They did lose. And they did safeguard their position for the future (this week's final). But they will – rightly – face no investigation. They did not tank because there is a gulf between not caring if you lose and doing what you can not to win.

That wasn't Carlton's fault. They sat second-last after their surprising victory over Melbourne two weeks earlier elevated them off the bottom. On Sunday morning they knew their lot - pick two, an ambit claim for a priority and then a possible compensatory free agency pick. They did not make Brisbane win."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/brisba...rity-picks-20150911-gjkds7.html#ixzz3lTQfnfxV
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Why the Blues have joined Lions in asking for priority picks

"Carlton, like the Brisbane Lions, have asked for a priority draft pick. Carlton, like Brisbane, know they are unlikely to get it.

But the Blues' move didn't come in reaction to the Lions. They flagged it with the AFL at their meeting in June when the league had already done a 10-year analysis of the Blues list and drawn its own grim conclusion.

The Blues and Lions both appear to be reading from Melbourne's playbook of last year of asking for a priority pick to make sure you at least get an inflated free-agency compensation pick.

Brisbane's strongest arguments for a priority pick, and for their pick two in the draft not to be affected by any potential Matthew Kreuzer compensation pick to Carlton, is two-fold: football in Queensland, not just the Gabba, is in a mess and needs serious intervention; and second, don't punish us for not tanking.

The AFL will not, cannot, win here because it has caught itself in a bind of its own compromises.

Carlton feel like innocent bystanders caught in another's cross-fire. The Blues are worried by the fear that football in Queensland is more important to the AFL than football in Royal Parade. Being the lucky losers last week might be a short-lived windfall.

On Sunday Brisbane did something breathtakingly stupid – they won a game. The Lions defeated the Bulldogs in a game the Dogs did not care about losing but the Lions were careless to win.

The Dogs rested three senior players. The Lions did not. Had the Lions rested players, lost the game but safeguarded their future (the first – and potentially second – pick in the draft) they might have been found guilty of tanking.

The Dogs did rest players. They did lose. And they did safeguard their position for the future (this week's final). But they will – rightly – face no investigation. They did not tank because there is a gulf between not caring if you lose and doing what you can not to win.

That wasn't Carlton's fault. They sat second-last after their surprising victory over Melbourne two weeks earlier elevated them off the bottom. On Sunday morning they knew their lot - pick two, an ambit claim for a priority and then a possible compensatory free agency pick. They did not make Brisbane win."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/brisba...rity-picks-20150911-gjkds7.html#ixzz3lTQfnfxV
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

I really don't see why it's a big issue. Rules are if clubs lose players through FA that clubs get compensated. If Kreuzer attracts big money and long term deal then deserve a band 1

If clubs don't get right compensation then bigger clubs continue to take smaller teams best players

The club finished lower than the other club who has applied for a PP, so buggered if I know how that could be shameful. You're right on one point though and that's that plenty in this thread have stooped the level of Mark Robinson, which just shows the lack of quality in the opinions being expressed around here.

They're just following Robbo's lead in digging in because it's Carlton. A less reasoned bunch you'd struggle to find.
There is a world of difference in Brisbane's situation and Carlton's. Carlton are in there situation largely due to their own poor choices ... Much like Melbourne previously. What the vast majority of people on this thread don't seem to realise is that AFL in Queensland is very much a secondary sport after Rugby League in a state with a much smaller population than the similar rugby league dominated NSW & hence the issues that the Lions & the Suns face are unlike anything that any other AFL teams in the country face. I'm a born and bred Queenslander who loves AFL, and am keen to see AFL thrive up here .... But the only way this can happen is if the Lions are competitive. I have no problem that they go thru their cycle like other teams, but the Lions have been largely uncompetitive for a generation. The predominant reason for this is the loss of players .... And the predominant reason for this is simply the fact that AFL players in Brisbane are pretty much nobodies compared to how they are treated in AFL States. I personally not fussed that Brisbane don't get a PP, BUT under no circumstance should they be dropped to 3rd pick due to compensation. What Brisbane really needs is an understanding by the AFL of the "go home" factor up here .... Which of course is lessened , but still exists when the team plays well. The best way to do this is to provide some sort of retention or development salary cap allowance. The alternative is AFL continues to wither up here . If the AFL or other clubs want this ... So be it, but I believe it would be a great shame for the growth of the National game up here.

There is a world of difference in Brisbane's situation and Carlton's. Carlton are in there situation largely due to their own poor choices ...

Firstly, it doesn't matter why you're in a position. The PP is intended to help clubs out of shitty positions full-stop. However, you could argue the same about Brisbane. Board not making great decisions, holding on to a coach whose ability is questionable, club stuffing up recruiting in Voss' time, things going on at the club that has guys wanting to leave, so Redden says. With Carlton we've had Judd go down with injury, Hendo now leaving, Betts leaving previously, Kreuzer potentially. And yes, sure a range of poor choices to go with those. To top that off, you beat us by 10 goals and finished above us on the ladder.

I personally not fussed that Brisbane don't get a PP, BUT under no circumstance should they be dropped to 3rd pick due to compensation.

I don't agree. If a band one comp pick is what is decided, then that's what should be awarded. No club should be denied the relevant pick just because another club has issues with being bumped down the order. That would be a very poor way of going about it. I'm guessing you wouldn't give a crap if it was GC or Essendon getting the comp pick.

There is a world of difference in Brisbane's situation and Carlton's. Carlton are in there situation largely due to their own poor choices ... Much like Melbourne previously. What the vast majority of people on this thread don't seem to realise is that AFL in Queensland is very much a secondary sport after Rugby League in a state with a much smaller population than the similar rugby league dominated NSW & hence the issues that the Lions & the Suns face are unlike anything that any other AFL teams in the country face. I'm a born and bred Queenslander who loves AFL, and am keen to see AFL thrive up here .... But the only way this can happen is if the Lions are competitive. I have no problem that they go thru their cycle like other teams, but the Lions have been largely uncompetitive for a generation. The predominant reason for this is the loss of players .... And the predominant reason for this is simply the fact that AFL players in Brisbane are pretty much nobodies compared to how they are treated in AFL States. I personally not fussed that Brisbane don't get a PP, BUT under no circumstance should they be dropped to 3rd pick due to compensation. What Brisbane really needs is an understanding by the AFL of the "go home" factor up here .... Which of course is lessened , but still exists when the team plays well. The best way to do this is to provide some sort of retention or development salary cap allowance. The alternative is AFL continues to wither up here . If the AFL or other clubs want this ... So be it, but I believe it would be a great shame for the growth of the National game up here.
You should be lobbying Gil and city hall for the cap allowances that Eddie was very strong in abolishing, instead of demanding changes to the draft order. Player retention is your issue, not which jumper Josh Schache pulls on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I've been telling you for a decade, verbatim regurgitation of club talking points makes you look like a goose when that club is run so incompetently.

Aren't you tired of being proven wrong?
I don't think you take in much that ODNs says - his podcast speech about the club was anything but regurgitation of club talking points.

Stop being so fond of your own sweeping generalisations.

the Lions have been largely uncompetitive for a generation.
How do you define a generation? "A bit over a decade" is not a generation in my understanding of the word.

Now obviously the overall neutral perspective from non-Lions and non-Carlton fans is that neither side deserves a PP, and fair enough.

Interested though to see where most rate Carlton's case compared to Brisbane's.

Even if you see Brisbane's as ridiculous, where does Carlton's rate in comparison to that? More sensible... slightly less... much less... bat**** crazy?

For a club that had more top line picks than any other club, and now a complete failure, why should we give them any more picks

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Not only that. But to get rid of Jacobs, Betts, Grigg, Garlett... These are all very good players. Why should Carlton be given a PP just because they cannot manage their list? They shouldn't. Neither should Brisbane. In Brisbanes case they need to create an environment that keeps players at the club, no amount of draft picks is going to achieve that. They've had talent and that talent left. Brisbane have a broader issue they need to fix, and Carlton traded away a lot of very good players, they shouldn't be rewarded either.

Priority picks should be scrapped. It's not like Carlton and Brisbane were completely shithouse, if they were losing by over 100 every week sure. I'd prefer instead of priority picks if a club becomes truely uncompetitive of their own making the AFL has the ability to remove those responsible if the board doesn't do it themselves.

From a non-Carlton or Lions perspective, I would say all of Dees, Dogs & Saints had better cases last year for being given PP than either of you. This is the first year in a while that those 3 teams have finished ahead of you both.
1 bad year, doesn't give you enough of a reason for a PP.

How do you define a generation? "A bit over a decade" is not a generation in my understanding of the word.
Fair enough re: 11 years ...... But is certainly a long time for my 18 & 16 year old sons who basically can't recall a competitive Brisbane side ( too young for the 3 peat). Point remains that Brisbane is in a position of massive disadvantages for AFL compared to AFL States or even Sydney / GWS (with their huge population). Brisbane has also been The only team in non AFL states that hasn't recently had any type of retention allowance. eg Sydney cost allowance, GWS & Gold Coast expansion allowances. Situation very much stacked against Brisbane.

From a non-Carlton or Lions perspective, I would say all of Dees, Dogs & Saints had better cases last year for being given PP than either of you. This is the first year in a while that those 3 teams have finished ahead of you both.
1 bad year, doesn't give you enough of a reason for a PP.
ta
I actually DON'T totally disagree re PP.. But Lions certainly need structural compensations (eg Salary cap retention allowance) to try and combat go-home factor, which as has been stated is PREDOMINANTLY because of the minor sport status of AFL up here. (I really don't believe AFL States have any idea of where AFL sits up here in the scheme of things ..... & the only chance of this changing is for a competitive Lions (& Suns). At worst, when they go thru the inevitable decline as they did after the 3-peat it cant last too long.... Which is exactly the case at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton formally request Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back