Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a piece based purely on stats to spark debate.

Most people know by now that stats don't tell the full story and would have Walsh as the favourite.

Though i'm still surprised about what the stats say about his kicking...watching him every week i think it's obvious he's a good kick. In the Brisbane game he had a blinder and the commentators were all raving about his disposal and how he hits targets. Not sure how Champion Data have him that low.

Also, playing midfield in a team in the bottom of the ladder will always be tougher than playing in a top 8 team like Stack & Rozee. And Walsh really gets involved in contests which brings your DE down.
Couldn't care less who wins the rising star. Jesse Hogan beat Crippa. Would you rather have? Just a popularity vote. More than satisfied with Walsh.

Lies and damned lies eh?

Perhaps they need to normalise based on the average disposals per game?

Walsh has ~10 more disposals per game than Rozee and 7 more than Smith and Stack.... Is it any surprise that he makes more mistakes per game?

Who can blame him for missing targets in our forward line until Bolton was sacked etc.

Or perhaps we just use Supercoach scores or Dreamteam scores?

Who wins the Rising Star? Stats say gun Blue is not in the top three - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-21...ar-stats-say-gun-blue-is-not-in-the-top-three

So apparently Walsh can't kick and won't even be in the top 3 for the rising star this season.

Champion Data :poo:

The same CD that said Cripps was above average and Menegola is elite.

From the above article (What a croc) ...

'Using the Official AFL Player Ratings, which take into account a variety of numbers to determine an individual's effectiveness, boom Tigers backman Sydney Stack sits at No.1 among this season's first-year players'

Champion Data MEH!

D8mDH-8UcAAcTiV.jpg

Not sure you can blame Bolton for Charlie dropping easy marks, fumbling, kicking grubbers etc. if you remember this started in the preseason matches. Charlie has found his form which was inevitable regardless of coach in my opinion.
The main point is Teague plonking Charlie in the forward 50 and staying there.
You're inevitably playing one on one the majority of the time as the deepest forward whereas running up the wing to assist with ball transition means he has more players in his way...Carlton and opposition.
Playing deep and just on one player means a world of difference.

You're inevitably playing one on one the majority of the time as the deepest forward whereas running up the wing to assist with ball transition means he has more players in his way...Carlton and opposition.

could be wrong but not sure he was used that much different last year (when he was the next big thing) to the first how many rounds this year...... ...according to the stats in the article he was targeted deep inside fifty (granted 2.9 times less on average) but was not winning his contests and pretty sure quite a few were when he had his defender cold. I just think the guy was out of form.

could be wrong but not sure he was used that much different last year (when he was the next big thing) to the first how many rounds this year...... ...according to the stats in the article he was targeted deep inside fifty (granted 2.9 times less on average) but was not winning his contests and pretty sure quite a few were when he had his defender cold. I just think the guy was out of form.

And Bolton was also coach last year.

If we have quick ball movement from defence to mid and mid forwards, a marking, goal kicking weapon can be left inside the forward 50, as he's not needed to push up the wings.

Hallelujah. You've seen the light...and the player has the explosive speed to lead, launch and play in his natural position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love historian Tony, I could listen to him all day
Did a research project for uni a couple of years ago and decided to do something about Carlton. Tony was kind enough to sit on the phone with me for a solid hour talking about the club in relation to the suburb. Great guy.

Did a research project for uni a couple of years ago and decided to do something about Carlton. Tony was kind enough to sit on the phone with me for a solid hour talking about the club in relation to the suburb. Great guy.

Yeah he's great.

Whateley, King and Bob Murphy all had Crippa as best player in the league at the halfway mark this morning - off the back of Ashley Browne's list where he was also number 1..........

12CaBr19DB1305.JPG

Last edited:
If at the end of 2013 someone told me in five years time we'd have fired two coaches and be on the bottom of the ladder, and that the slow chubby man child we just drafted would be considered the leagues best player, I think the 2nd would have shocked me more.

Here we go again...

Doesn't seem to take into account that he's getting the ball twice as much as the rest.

Yep, those of us who consider Sam a lock for this award had better prepare themselves.

Here we are reminded of what we already knew: that they can make the stats say whatever they want to support their decision. The AFL has 0 interest in pumping our tyres in any way.
Sections of the media have been campaigning all season to convince all and sundry that we erred in drafting Sam, even though pre-draft he was the overwhelming media favourite to be taken at 1. Flogs.

**** the lot of them.
Even if Sam does win it, we'll have to endure years of knobs like Corns questioning and second-guessing the decision. (Remember when SOS was named "fullback of the century"? OMG! I don't think Eddy ever did get over that.)
Sam, like Cripps, will go on to be a champion of the Carlton Football Club. To me, that honour has far more merit that this dodgy, move-the-goals-to-suit-the-agenda award.

Last edited:
Dom Sheed is a fine player.

This is a bit harsh, but funny.

Good banter.

Lol messaging him Cripps' stats.

Just on Sheed though he's a good player now, but he literally took about 5 years to get there.
Just a bit of perspective when looking at our young mids and the level of expectations we have on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back