Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

BIG DEALS
Zac Williams (from GWS) - Six-year deal worth up to $700,000 a season until 2026

Mitch McGovern (from Adelaide) - Five-year deal worth up to $800,000 a season until 2023
Jack Martin (from Gold Coast) - Five-year deal worth up to $600,000 a season until 2024

Found this interesting given the salary that has been floated around for Williams ~850K per season by some.
Weren't most of them heavily front loaded?

Pretty sure Martin is on peanuts now compared to the 1st 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Season preview on fox footy. Johnno Brown asks the question "as ridiculous as it sounds is Mitch McGovern Carlton's mist important player?". Was a fairly good critique and summary.

Ladder predictions were;
Jordan Lewis- top 8 and potentially top 4.
Sarah Jones - Bottom of top 8
Robbo - 8 - 12
Browny - bottom of top 8.

BIG DEALS
Zac Williams (from GWS) - Six-year deal worth up to $700,000 a season until 2026

Mitch McGovern (from Adelaide) - Five-year deal worth up to $800,000 a season until 2023
Jack Martin (from Gold Coast) - Five-year deal worth up to $600,000 a season until 2024

Found this interesting given the salary that has been floated around for Williams ~850K per season by some.
Nice age profile.
Final 8 this year, no excuses.
Go Blues.

Brackets or marchbank must play to take intercept marks. Weiters and young not marking enough. Will be a key to winning or losing. Jonno brown on the money.

Alt. We play tdk in ruck and he drops back to take intercept marks, although im not use he has the iq to play that role.

I think its a fair point. One thing consistent with all top teams is they have a strong intercept game usually high up the ground. I hope we have worked with Weitering on this part of his game too as it was his strength early but for some reason he doesnt do it anymore. He should be our Sam Taylor.

Young was pretty good intercept wise last year so just needs to bring more of the same.

Mark Robinson criticism of Essendon for making excuses for their form on the weekend is exactly the requirement of Carlton Supporters.
The excuses need to stop if the Carlton Players do not deliver. This forum is top of the excuse ladder, the podcasts are generally far for advanced in critical thinking and asking more of the club and players. Honest critique should not always end in Coaching cleanouts but need to exact changes to coaching methodology, support staff and playing personnel . The playing list has never copped the full brunt of the supporter base. This list needs to be firmly put on notice: Mcgovern, Martin, Marchbank, Owies, Plowman, Young, O'brien. Well done to Robinson for shutting down the complacent Bomber supporter base.
David Tennant What GIF by Doctor Who

I don't even know what 'copping the full brunt of the supporter base' is supposed to mean. Or how we are supposed to go about putting players 'firmly on notice'. Would a bf poll suffice?

Mark Robinson criticism of Essendon for making excuses for their form on the weekend is exactly the requirement of Carlton Supporters.
The excuses need to stop if the Carlton Players do not deliver. This forum is top of the excuse ladder, the podcasts are generally far for advanced in critical thinking and asking more of the club and players. Honest critique should not always end in Coaching cleanouts but need to exact changes to coaching methodology, support staff and playing personnel . The playing list has never copped the full brunt of the supporter base. This list needs to be firmly put on notice: Mcgovern, Martin, Marchbank, Owies, Plowman, Young, O'brien. Well done to Robinson for shutting down the complacent Bomber supporter base.

He’s the one who has been stroking its ego for the past ten years with his apologist dribble over the illegal performance enhancing drug scandal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BIG DEALS

Media says calrotn player on a lot of money - 'what a shit article, all the media have no idea how much they are on, its just guessing'

Media says carlton player on not too much money - 'this is a really good article, articulate, well written, well researched, this guy is a must read.

love this place 🤣

either way you spin it - shitload of money for SFA return for all 3 (so far)

Media says calrotn player on a lot of money - 'what a s**t article, all the media have no idea how much they are on, its just guessing'

Media says carlton player on not too much money - 'this is a really good article, articulate, well written, well researched, this guy is a must read.

love this place 🤣

either way you spin it - shitload of money for SFA return for all 3 (so far)
That wasn't my point. The point I was trying to make was that they are all guessing. If they weren't you wouldn't have significantly different figures being reported. Never said any of the figures were right or wrong.

What we do know is that Martin's deal was heavily front-ended. Reports (for what they're worth) were over $1m in his first year. Likelihood that he's on anything above $400k now is low. Note also, that he got shafted by the Covid pay-cut, which was in his first year.

the amount of footy he's played (or lack of) - he's done alright out of it

I wonder how many of our other current deals were front ended? You would think Gov for sure given when we signed him. There has never been any talk of Williams deal being front ended but would be great if it was. Saad not on that much so probably doesn't matter. Charlie's deal that is expiring this year probably was.

All our signings post the year we got Williams and Saad unlikely to be front ended.

I personally don't have an issue with the media talking about our cap being tight. Yes they might not know the exact details and yes certain players have taken unders but doesn't change the fact we have signed a number of players on big long term deals over the last few years. I'm sure we have a more flexibility then they are giving us credit for but those headlines aren't ridiculous.

the amount of footy he's played (or lack of) - he's done alright out of it

Yeah and his contract got increased to get him through to us in the PSD. He would already have agreed to a lower amount prior to the trade failing. Most likely still ended up with more then the initial contract he accepted.

Wasn’t his contract heavily renegotiated through Covid?

Yeah I remember reading something that with the salary cuts the players were asked to take due to Covid he stood to lose a lot of the benefit of his front ended contract so the the contract was renegotiated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back