Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^^^
I reckon MM got rid of two of them, not sure Mitch falls into that category. There's probably a couple of others which will play the game safe than take the game on- whether this is part of our game plan or just the personalities?

I'm not a wrap for Warnock but don't think he falls into that bracket as his talent is limited, he should be taken grabs around the ground and creating headaches up forward but he hasn't done that since 2011

Most sides fancy their chances of beating Carlton in a close game - even with a minute to play - ask Fremantle/geelong etc Too many players at Carlton give up before they even run on the paddock - typically a flashy ten minute start followed by three quarters of capitulation one way or another. Lots of experienced Carlton players are expert at making themselves look good in patches - that doesn't win games and certainly doesn't fool members and supporters who goto games.

Time for some of the more experienced players to really stand up next to Judd and define themselves by their ability to beat their man and help their teammate beat theirs as well and then for them to insist that everyone else wearing the colours on the day plays the same way or GTFO.

All talk of strategy and tactics and match ups is bull compared to basic mongrel and pride.
Absolutely spot on there JaB :thumbsu:

I have long thought that some players just don't seem to take any pride in playing for the club and tbh winning just doesn't seem to be important to some of them. They appear to be happy to saunter around the field and if the ball bounces their way all well and good but not really prepared to exert themselves.

I think I understand what you are getting at JaB, but I wouldn't say it's peaheartedness or not wanting to play for the jumper. I would suggest that going back over the last few years, there wasn't a lot of unity across the whole club and playing list. Not everyone thought they could rely on their teammates and that they would give 100% until the end (or perhaps just **** it up, even if they did). That sort of below-the-surface or subconscious attitude makes it hard to pull through when the going gets tough.

BUT, thinking back to the Eagles game last year when guys gut run the shit out of themselves, dived for smothers, went hard at the footy and then a young kid took it upon himself to seal a win - that performance is testament to how thing were getting turned around. Given who we've lost between this year and last year, I think that trend will continue.

It's all speculation though.

Just finished catching up on the thread and I'm in agreement about the media's impression that Waite's gone and Judd is too old, hence us getting under-rated. Had a long yarn with a work ate in the pub last night and a couple of things became clearer...
  • Judd was injured for a serious portion of last season. When he plays, not only is he still brilliant, those around him lift.
  • Waite is gone. Please, please someone explain to me how we're going to replace those (count 'em) 29 goals for the season. 29. Season. (Didn't Gibbs kick close to 20 playing on the ball?).
  • We have some serious top rung talent. Equal to any in the league, Murph, Gibbs, Yarran, Judd. The half rung below (arguably) that isn't so bad either, Hendo, Jamo, Simmo, 1AW and the like. The kids showed patches, Bucks for example, of great form before injury. I can't get him into my best 22 at this stage.
The media, like many, is guilty of listening to others and regurgitating opinion, rather than even just scratching the surface. And I look forward to my boys proving them wrong. Starting by at least 6 goals on Thursday! Go Blues!:thumbsu::D

I think I understand what you are getting at JaB, but I wouldn't say it's peaheartedness or not wanting to play for the jumper. I would suggest that going back over the last few years, there wasn't a lot of unity across the whole club and playing list. Not everyone thought they could rely on their teammates and that they would give 100% until the end (or perhaps just **** it up, even if they did). That sort of below-the-surface or subconscious attitude makes it hard to pull through when the going gets tough.

BUT, thinking back to the Eagles game last year when guys gut run the shit out of themselves, dived for smothers, went hard at the footy and then a young kid took it upon himself to seal a win - that performance is testament to how thing were getting turned around. Given who we've lost between this year and last year, I think that trend will continue.

It's all speculation though.

We only played in spurts against the Eagles last year.

A four quarter effort would have buried the Eagles.

I follow the NBA closely (not quite as much as the AFL) and the gap in quality between our so called experts and their's is incredible. Drives me mad, with the main culprits being the former players and Slobbo. Despite it being their job, some of them don't know a thing about guys who aren't in a teams top 15 players. The Herald Sun journos especially seem to be more focused on supercoach output than anything else.

NBA experts go into immense detail about players style/teams, form, strengths and weaknesses.

AFL experts skim over most of these things and it only takes a week for them to flip flop on their opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/why-the-game-needs-the-tigers-roaring-20150328-1ma068.html

It's an article about Richmond, but has a line that intrigued me, about Carlton (and Collingwood) insiders disagreeing with the majority view about chances for the 8.

I'm interested in why he added this to the article. I'm realistically optimistic about the season. Maybe journos are afraid of being independently minded and have their own opinion?

Poor reflection on our media industry, if that's the case.:rolleyes:

What were our excuses for losing to the likes of Melbourne, GWS and Brisbane?

What does it matter for the excuses?

It was stated, "Too many Carlton player give up before they even run onto the paddock"
I asked who and I get..................Warnock. That's it...........Not sure how that fits in with "Too many"
Is the poster saying that one is too many, maybe? Who knows?

I think its only fair the media has us missing the 8 and not featuring in September. We did nothing last year and lost some games we shouldn't have lost.
But who gives a stuff what the media says 2012 Port finished 14th 2013 they finished 7th. A big jump up the ladder can be done but we must work hard.

I'd say that over the last 2 seasons the players with no ticker/brains have been delisted or traded.
For example I can't see Cripps, KJ smith, Rowe, bucks, the 3 Irish, curnow, etc ever falling into that category

Even the young fringe guys like Holman and DVR are all in.

Team ethos and culture has changed significantly in the MM era to the point were a veteran who was sick of footy decided to re-commit on the back of what he has witnessed.

You can't underestimate that fact!!!

I'd say that over the last 2 seasons the players with no ticker/brains have been delisted or traded.
For example I can't see Cripps, KJ smith, Rowe, bucks, the 3 Irish, curnow, etc ever falling into that category

Even the young fringe guys like Holman and DVR are all in.

Team ethos and culture has changed significantly in the MM era to the point were a veteran who was sick of footy decided to re-commit on the back of what he has witnessed.

You can't underestimate that fact!!!

That's correct and the proof will be in the...............
I just don't see too many "I'm not buying in types" around the club at the moment, which had been alluded to.

We'll naturally get some that will fall away for one reason or another, but I'm not seeing the Lucas's, Bootsma's, Garletts or Waite's around any more.
Some of the aforementioned players showed absolutely no interest at VFL level. Temay was another that just couldn't even get into second gear, let alone top gear, whilst McInnes had also played as though he'd all but given up. McLean gave up before the season commenced given the statement he came out with in March last year.

The remainder of the players that spent most of the year in the VFL busted a gut......including Cachia.
The likes of Watson, Graham, Holman, Johnson etc must have wondered what was going on given the lame efforts of some of the more experienced players..........They haven't anything to worry about any more, it seems.

According to the experts, and even Shane Crawford our season is gone before we get started.

9. THE BLUES HAVE TOO MANY RECYCLED PLAYERS TO BE SUCCESSFUL
You might as well called them the Visy Blues, as Carlton has a foreign legion of recycled players that would have its late president/benefactor Dick Pratt proud. No club has more players taken from rival AFL clubs than the Blues. It is 13 in total, and nine over the past two off-seasons. I can’t see that working and expect the Blues to be off the pace again this year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ick-and-essendon/story-fni5f1tu-1227282664864

According to the experts, and even Shane Crawford our season is gone before we get started.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ick-and-essendon/story-fni5f1tu-1227282664864

Recycled players? Let's go through them:

Jaksch...Docherty...Whiley...Everitt...Jones were specifically targetted.
Does that make them any more recycled than Boyd at the Dogs?
Tutt and Dick came for nothing and you can't build a team with 22 kids in 2 years alone.

Shane Crawford was a good footballer and he can cycle very far.

"Bontempelli WILL win a Brownlow"

Yes, yes, yes, we've heard all those calls so many times before and surprised Peanut Man restrained himself in saying one and not multiple Brownlows as is often the case.

Natanui has 2 Brownlows....Cotchin has a couple also.
You start tallying them up, you'd have about 50 Brownlow medalists in 10 years..........but don't forget about Priddis.....surely a second beckons :)

Recycled players? Let's go through them:

Jaksch...Docherty...Whiley...Everitt...Jones were specifically targetted.
Does that make them any more recycled than Boyd at the Dogs?
Tutt and Dick came for nothing and you can't build a team with 22 kids in 2 years alone.

Shane Crawford was a good footballer and he can cycle very far.
My thoughts exactly Harks. I wonder who's in his list of 13 players we've taken from rival clubs:
  1. Jaksch
  2. Docherty
  3. Whiley
  4. Everitt
  5. Jones
  6. Tutt
  7. Dick
  8. Thomas
  9. Wood
  10. Henderson
  11. Warnock
  12. Judd
  13. Carrazzo
Okay a couple of depth players, and mostly targeted players - whats he on about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back