Carlton or Fremantle - Who finishes 8th?

Remove this Banner Ad

As it stands, we're about 23 points off Carlton's percentage. So Carlton need to beat the GC by as much as they can. I reckon a 10 goal win will probably put them out of reach, assuming a 3 or 4 goal win against St Kilda.

But if they can only get over the Suns by 2 or 3 goals, it's back on even if Freo lose to North.

Although Carlton have a massive advantage in playing last in round 23.

yeah true etihad is our cemetery but stkilda wouldve shut up shop by then so that wont hurt,besides were just coming in to cracking form

Yeah, you were amazing against Essendon and......

Sorry what other games have you won that show your "cracking form"? You fell over the Western Bulldogs and Richmond. Got beaten by Sydney. Beat the Lions (but who hasn't) and then there is Essendon.

I count one game.

I'll say it again - you are no certainties against the Saints. They have been a far better team than Carlton over the journey this year.

Hmmm, well lets see. We played in a prelim final in 2006 and won an elimination final in 2010. Pretty sure that is at least one a par with, or better than, Carlton over the same period.

Nice arbritary time period. You're team has been inconsistent, whether that be form or injury based. In the time period I was referring to from 2009-2011 we made finals 3 years running. Fremantle went 14th, 6th and 11th.

I'm not saying my team > your team. I was just refuting your accusation that my club consistently fails when recently that has not been the case. By contrast your club has difficulty season to season

As it stands, we're about 23 points off Carlton's percentage. So Carlton need to beat the GC by as much as they can. I reckon a 10 goal win will probably put them out of reach, assuming a 3 or 4 goal win against St Kilda.

But if they can only get over the Suns by 2 or 3 goals, it's back on even if Freo lose to North.

Although Carlton have a massive advantage in playing last in round 23.

Could be seen as an advantage. Or could be too much pressure that causes them to crack. Seen it happen time and time again.

Sorry what other games have you won that show your "cracking form"? You fell over the Western Bulldogs and Richmond. Got beaten by Sydney. Beat the Lions (but who hasn't) and then there is Essendon.

I count one game.

I'll say it again - you are no certainties against the Saints. They have been a far better team than Carlton over the journey this year.
Collingwood twice you know the team on top.

Collingwood twice you know the team on top.

You last played them nearly two months ago, that can hardly be used as evidence of your recent resurgence to cracking form your fellow Carlton poster was talking about.

Nice arbritary time period. You're team has been inconsistent, whether that be form or injury based. In the time period I was referring to from 2009-2011 we made finals 3 years running. Fremantle went 14th, 6th and 11th.

I'm not saying my team > your team. I was just refuting your accusation that my club consistently fails when recently that has not been the case. By contrast your club has difficulty season to season

How can a time period be anything other than arbitary? Chosing any time period is, by its very nature, arbitary. Moot point.

Correct me if I am wrong but Freo has had more finals appearances than Carlton "in recent years". By "recent", let's look at the last 10 seasons:

2002: Freo - 13th Carlton - Last
2003: Freo - 5th (one finals apperance) Carlton - 15th
2004: Freo - 9th Carlton - 11th
2005: Freo - 10th Carlton - Last
2006: Freo - 3rd (three finals apperances) Carlton - Last
2007: Freo - 11th Carlton - 15th
2008: Freo - 14th Carlton - 11th
2009: Freo - 14th Carlton - 7th (one finals appearances)
2010: Freo - 6th (two finals apperances) Carlton - 8th (one finals apperances)
2011: Freo - 11th Carlton - 5th (two finals apperances)

Both teams are equally average in my book and have underperformed in "recent" history.

How can a time period be anything other than arbitary? Chosing any time period is, by its very nature, arbitary. Moot point.

Correct me if I am wrong but Freo has had more finals appearances than Carlton "in recent years". By "recent", let's look at the last 10 seasons:

2002: Freo - 13th Carlton - Last
2003: Freo - 5th (one finals apperance) Carlton - 15th
2004: Freo - 9th Carlton - 11th
2005: Freo - 10th Carlton - Last
2006: Freo - 3rd (three finals apperances) Carlton - Last
2007: Freo - 11th Carlton - 15th
2008: Freo - 14th Carlton - 11th
2009: Freo - 14th Carlton - 7th (one finals appearances)
2010: Freo - 6th (two finals apperances) Carlton - 8th (one finals apperances)
2011: Freo - 11th Carlton - 5th (two finals apperances)

Both teams are equally average in my book and have underperformed in "recent" history.

Yes but you know that's not what I meant. What I meant was your original claim was false. Carlton has not failed to achieve it's aims in recent years

Yes but you know that's not what I meant. What I meant was your original claim was false. Carlton has not failed to achieve it's aims in recent years

With the greatest respect, yes it has. Your coach and President came out this year and said that anything other than a top 4 finish by Carlton would be deemed as a failure. The fact that you won't achieve this aim is a failure.

With the greatest respect, yes it has. Your coach and President came out this year and said that anything other than a top 4 finish by Carlton would be deemed as a failure. The fact that you won't achieve this aim is a failure.

This year, which isn't over.

Just admit that you exaggerated, Carlton has had a poor year, we have missed our goals, but since Ratten became coach we have been improving every year and reached our goals in each year. The argument that Carlton fail to reach goals which is the basis of your argument that we won't make the 8, is false, or at least has been since Ratten began coaching.

Just admit that you exaggerated, Carlton has had a poor year, we have missed our goals, but since Ratten became coach we have been improving every year and reached our goals in each year. The argument that Carlton fail to reach goals which is the basis of your argument that we won't make the 8, is false, or at least has been since Ratten began coaching.

Again, with respect, the comment you responded to was a throw away line (just like the comment I was retorting to). Throw away lines are usually exaggerations so as to make a point. Clearly you've missed the intent of banter by trying to "factualise" them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think you have improved this year and will reach your goals?

More then happy for Carlton to keep Ratten over Malthouse.

Again, with respect, the comment you responded to was a throw away line (just like the comment I was retorting to). Throw away lines are usually exaggerations so as to make a point. Clearly you've missed the intent of banter by trying to "factualise" throw away lines.

Facts have no place in Banter. Ok got it.

Pavlich is a spud.

Not true, but it makes my side look better. Enjoy this thread, I'll leave you to it

Do you think you have improved this year and will reach your goals?

More then happy for Carlton to keep Ratten over Malthouse.

I think that despite injuries we've seen some very good signs from younger and fringe players.

Mclean, McInnes, Bell, Casboult, Watson, Armfield have all played some wonderful football this year. They have improved.

We won't reach our goals. Even if we make finals we'll probably leave in week 1 or 2, but the year isn't a wash

I count one game.

you know what i cant believe im even having this conversation with a fremantle supporter.lets get something straight,im not worried about fremantle (whom i have zero respect for,they play the ugliest style of football ive seen)losing, im worried about north not winning.if we make it we will shake the crap out of the finals with a bonafide superstar team,where if your rabble make it youll be just making up the numbers and be straight out week one

you know what i cant believe im even having this conversation with a fremantle supporter.lets get something straight,im not worried about fremantle (whom i have zero respect for,they play the ugliest style of football ive seen)losing, im worried about north not winning.if we make it we will shake the crap out of the finals with a bonafide superstar team,where if your rabble make it youll be just making up the numbers and be straight out week one

You know what - no one that supports any other AFL team has any respect for Carlton. History of cheating, tanking, corruption and achieving next to nothing despite having the lion's share of draft picks. So your constination towards Freo is beyond irrelevant.

You also know what - if you do somehow slip past Freo and take 8th spot, there is nothing surer than you going out in round 1 of the finals.

Freo on form is leaps and bounds ahead of Carlton. Don't beleive me, why don't you check the stats?

The biggest disappointment for 2012 is Carlton. We all thought you were coming!! Turns out that this was all hype (again) and you have been shown up as having a very average team.

I think North vs Freo & Carl vs STK are practically identical games.

Saying Carlton are near certain is silly, St Kilda could easily take them out, regardless of whether they are in contention or not. St Kilda also has GWS at Etihad next week, so they'll be at 100% fitness you would think and have a slightly longer break than Carlton travelling back from Metricon. If Melbourne somehow manage to beat Fremantle in WA next week, St Kilda are back in the mix.

On top of that, if Carlton (or even STK) scrape into 8th, they will most likely go to Perth to play the eagles who would have had an extra 2 day break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton or Fremantle - Who finishes 8th?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back