Carlton v Hawthorn Ranting thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill tell you what I noticed. No buddy, No Hawthorn. He disappeared in the second half. About the same time the blues started to gain a lot of run of defence through henderson. amazing stuff really.

While we were bad for a half, hawthorn were just as bad from halfway through the second quarter to early in the last.

Questions for Ratten ...

- Why did you leave Gibson as a spare man to gather as many touches as he wanted for one half of football?

- How did Hale get 13 touches to half-time? (for the first half i thought i was in a parallel universe where he was a quality big man)

- Whilst all can play a role when required do you honestly believe that a team simultaneously including AJ/Ellard/Carrazzo/Armfield/Thornton can win a premiership?

On a positive note Ratten made some good 2nd half moves ...

- Walker on the ball is a good option
- Jameson up forward is a nice wild-card move

Even with Waite back we really need a strong contested mark in the forward 30 metres. Geelong has shown us through Mooney that a slightly above average player can do the job ... it's just a matter of finding the right trade.

As far as im concerned, we are not much worse off playing off in the finals from 5th rather than 4th.

- We player 8th on the ladder first final (hopefully our first win in 10 + years.)
- We play the looser next week of pies / west coast. yes we probably have to go West Coast but the ground suits us. At least we dont play Pies.

- Beat them and play Geelong at the G. (Achievable)

The problem i have with everyone saying Carlton cant win unless we finish in the 4 is that unless 4th can beat the pies, the draw would be exactly the same as 4th finish (except for the travel to Perth)

Really, i think that the top 3 finish is vital with this draw.

So, if Carlton are good enough, yesterdays loss really means nothing IMO.

Second half showed why we should GTFO of Etihad as soon as possible.

My biggest rant, though is about the man love that Bruce has for Rioli, FFS Joseph pantsed him and he, sure as hell, is no champion.

Actually, Sticks was interviewed on MMM before the game and the commentators talked about the game not being moved to the 'G'. Sticks' response was that the AFL haven't moved a game in years and that they had an obligation for a certain number of 40 - 50K games etc etc.

But what he said after that was music to my ears, he said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Yeah, Collo did a really good deal on that one, oh well, we've got another couple of years of this and then we'll see what we can do about it"!!!

At least we know that they're gonna try to get out of that stinking shithole!

Heck, I wish they'd move back to Princes Park. But, that's not an option.

Rioli - Personally think he is incredibly over-rated by the general media....blah,blah,blah.

One game does not maketh the player, you Dawk muppet.

With Rioli what makes him so good and what people love is the repeat effort, he stuffs it up and he goes again. Every player needs to play like that. Just hunt the player with the ball.

I think the negatives have been well and truly covered so I'll just say I was impressed with Jamo up forward, especially since he's underdone. He actually has presence and marking ability combined with his jet like speed off the mark. Such a classy player, amazing to think he was just a rookie.

Having said that, it's sad we have to try and rely on our underdone fullback to kick goals. But he's a wonderful player.

To reactive first half finals type pressure and failed. Some good moves second half by Ratts, to get us back in the game. But should be very dissapointed in first half , need forward and still not mature enough for 4 quarter effort.!

is that what you have learnd about your carton today???? Nothing that you have seen in the first halh from a team had four spot on for taking that you concerned about??? Riolli and Bruce is what you took notice of?? Woowee

Yes, because my post was about Carlton...?!:!?;;@ amidoindiswrite lulz

Top 4 was hardly for the taking, we would have most likely missed it anyway.

Sick to death of it

Our forwardline if you would even call it that is a joke. Yes we have garlett / betts who I love but seriously all we do is BOMB the ball from outside 50 and hope for the best, we have been doing this for so long its not even funny anymore.

I cringe everytime we bomb the ball long and I am fed up with this being accepted.

I was going to post last night but after drinking half a carton decided I should wait till the morning when I am still well over the limit.

I'll wait for the hero's to get on my back, but seriously this needs to stop. How can supporters be happy with this bombing the ball and nothing happening week after week.

We may win one final if we are lucky, that is all.

Ill drink myself till 2012.

I'm really pissed off with that performance. To think that we lost by 2 goals after being so atrocious in the first half and practically handing the game to the Hawks annoys me. If we showed some sort of intensity in the first half like we did in the second the result prob would have been different. The difference in the end was efficiency. I've got no doubt we are pretty much on an even par with the Hawks, but the thing that puts them slightly in front is their quality of ball use.

The most disappointing player atm is Garlett. What has happened to him? He does not play percentage football. He tries to lairise too much instead of doing the discipline thing, such as kick a checkside when running into open goal instead of a drop punt.
Yep have to agree, been believing his own hype or maybe something else is distracting him, not sure.

Shits me how him and Eddie do these low % plays when we are winning games against inferior opposition and everyone jizze's over their efforts and then the same type of play just looks really ordinary when it doesn't come off against the good teams in big games.

Jeffy tried to do something too cute late in the game last week against Freo when we were well up and I nearly smashed the TV screen because it was just lairish and wont stand up in tough, fierce finals and was hoping Ratten would of dragged him for a chat at the time.

Our goal kicking woes at Etihad basically come down to this lairish type of behaviour and needs to change, dont worry about the size of the ground or the roof etc just stop trying to be too cute and kick the ball properly instead of outside of the boot shit!!!

Wouldn't worry to much about Gibbs missing a couple because the more opportunities he gets like that he will get better at converting and will be really damaging!

Those saying he was under no pressure need to watch again, the one he missed on the run he was pushed as he kicked, he missed from 55 metres & probably could of ran a bit closer, and the set shot maybe he should of kicked. In between all that I haven't seen anyone mention the exquisite handball inside to a running Simpson to set up a crucial goal either!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the negatives have been well and truly covered so I'll just say I was impressed with Jamo up forward, especially since he's underdone. He actually has presence and marking ability combined with his jet like speed off the mark. Such a classy player, amazing to think he was just a rookie.

Having said that, it's sad we have to try and rely on our underdone fullback to kick goals. But he's a wonderful player.

Just noticed your sig and who you are supporting now... lost a bay bet did we :p

Can someone please explain to me how the Hawks where allowed to trip us up deliberately so many times without getting 50 metre against them. After the first couple the umpires should of warned them next time there would be a 50 given against them.

Ratt's should complain to the AFL as it was a deliberate attempt to slow us up and our game plan went to crap in the first half. I saw what you done Clarko you bloody cheat.

Re: Sick to death of it

I think our forward 50 entry strategy needs to be adjusted.

If Garlett and Betts are making leads but the ball still gets bombed to Kruezer or Warnock in the forward line then they are sometimes too far away from the immediate ball drop after the contest to crumb efficiently.

Its obvious are disposal needs improvement. I don't think our guys are too confident in hitting a chest from a lead all the time so they go the 'safe' option and bomb it long and rely on our forward 50 pressure. West Coast are a great example how they improved their kicking efficiency around from almost last last season to top 3 this year. Overhead marking and disposal needs to be our primary focus in the offseason in my opinion. Disposals from Carazzo and Robinson and attempted marks from Warnock & others causes many turn overs.

The ways we enter the forward 50 has to be diverse and non predictable otherwise a team can set up a particular strategy to cover it for the whole match.

We will get there. Just hopefully Ratten realises them as real problems as I am sure he does. Our coach will get us there!

Sick of the Rioli jizzing...he was ordinary tonight and yet anything he did was deemed to be unbelievable.

I laughed when they talked about how he was having a distinct influence on the game despite only having 1 hand ball to his name. Get your hand off it Bruce, all he did was apply a common tackle and he's the messiah.

Is that like when Denis said in the first quarter, "gee, Yarran's dominating, what number possession is this?" - "2" was the response.

Rioli is overrated like Judd and Yarran are. The media have to beat up stories to sell newspapers - when the back page has Judd on it and a promise of a 2 page story on how awesome he is, of course every Carlton fan is going buy the paper. That is why they do it (and no I am not comparing Rioli to Judd).

That doesn't take away from their ability though. Rioli was well held offensively last night, but he still managed 7 tackles in the first half, and contributed to at least 3 goals in that time. Rioli had played a big part in our first half lead.

From a CFC point of view, I reckon you've found something with Jamison being able to swing forward if need be. Gibbs needs to play through the midfield as his skills are up their with the best in the game and is wasted down back. I don't think you can win it this year (too hard from outside top 4), but over the next 5 years you are every chance to grab one.

All we do is BOMB the ball from outside 50 and hope for the best, we have been doing this for so long its not even funny anymore.
Don't be a muppet.

We didn't start blanket bombing the ball long until the second half, which, coincidentally was our more successful of the two.

The Hawks play the zone too well to risk attempting to kick through it in the forward half, and tore us apart on the rebound numerous times in the first half as a result of us trying to kick through the zone with short passes.

Long kicking, and fast running is what breaks up the zone - We did this in the second half and kicked 7 goals to 3 after half time. Not to mention that the pressure at the game was tangible, and making error after error attempting to spot up a target in the F50 is demoralising in that situation.

Bombing the ball long is similarly conducive to allowing our small forwards to their devices - Allow numbers at the contest creates forward pressure and typical crumbing situations that Betts and Garlett especially thrive off.

If Thornton was creating a contest in the first half, it would've been a different story - but the MC should've used his injury last week to give him a rest for O'hAilpin.

Moving Jamison up forward was a great move, that deserves much credit - especially with Buddy up the other end - yet you give none.

You come off as a simple, fairweather drone, like the majority of them that go to the football.

At least attempt to understand why the team plays to a gameplan that is implemented by far better football brains than you and I.

I think our forward 50 entry strategy needs to be adjusted.

If Garlett and Betts are making leads but the ball still gets bombed to Kruezer or Warnock in the forward line then they are sometimes too far away from the immediate ball drop after the contest to crumb efficiently.

Its obvious are disposal needs improvement. I don't think our guys are too confident in hitting a chest from a lead all the time so they go the 'safe' option and bomb it long and rely on our forward 50 pressure. West Coast are a great example how they improved their kicking efficiency around from almost last last season to top 3. Overhead marking and disposal needs to be our primary focus in the offseason in my opinion. Disposals from Carazzo and Robinson and attempted marks from Warnock & others causes many turn overs.

The ways we enter the forward 50 has to be diverse and non predictable otherwise a team can set up a particular strategy to cover it for the whole match.

We will get there. Just hopefully Ratten realises them as real problems as I am sure he does. Our coach will get us there!
I seen Carazzo just realease the ball blindly when being tackled on the wing early in the game so he wouldn't get done for holding the ball and the hawks broke out and set Buddy up for another easy uncontested goal and I thought to myself just hold onto the ball and risk getting pinged FFS, at least they dont get the fast break for a goal and gives us a chance to defend.

Hendo would of been furious with a couple of his team mates errors which led to situations where he could only look on helplessly as Buddy got on the end of some cheapies, thought he done well for the most part.

The other thought which I certainly articulated to my TV screen was I dont think we can have 3 or 4 similar types going through the midfield who are "damaging to us when they get the ball".

You do not have the same rights on our board as any of our posters, let alone a Mod. If you don't understand this, or don't wish to comply with this, you would be best advised to stay off our board.

The right to warn a Hawthorn supporter of something your mod said, word by word?

Our forwardline if you would even call it that is a joke. Yes we have garlett / betts who I love but seriously all we do is BOMB the ball from outside 50 and hope for the best, we have been doing this for so long its not even funny anymore.

I cringe everytime we bomb the ball long and I am fed up with this being accepted.

I was going to post last night but after drinking half a carton decided I should wait till the morning when I am still well over the limit.

I'll wait for the hero's to get on my back, but seriously this needs to stop. How can supporters be happy with this bombing the ball and nothing happening week after week.

We may win one final if we are lucky, that is all.

Ill drink myself till 2012.
Done well with the spelling all things being considered:D

Bombing the ball is the best go for Betts and Garlett to score from if it is bombed to someone who can get the ball to ground, unfortunately Thornton was terrible and Kreuzer is just not agile enough to be forward as often as he is.

Maybe its time Irish was put there to help create opportunities for the small forwards, I see he had 9 shots at goal last week in the 2's... the other option deep forward to create spillage might need to be Hampson as I am worried Waite might be done for the season.

Certainly bombing on the head of Betts and Garlett wont work, they need to get around the taller options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton v Hawthorn Ranting thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back