B: Thornton Jamison Joseph
HB: Armfield Bower Scotland
C: Simpson Judd Stevens
HF: Wiggins Waite Houlihan
F: Betts Fevola Fisher
OB: Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs
IC: Grigg Carrazzo Hadley Warnock
EM: Browne Austin Russell

Just included Fisher because i like his pair of hands and he is differently a better option than Cloke.

We have better a lot of midfielders that can kick goals so i have opted with a taller forward line. With Wiggins pushing up the ground

I'm pretty sure I've already posted on this thread but I've changed my mind somewhat and it's my lunch break so assuming everybody's available:

B Joseph Jamo Thornton
HB Scotland Waite Bower
C Grigg Hadley Murphy
HF Walker Kruezer Stevens
F Yarran Fev Betts

Fol Warnock Judd Gibbs

Int Carrazzo Hampson Army Houla

Near misses Browne Bannister Robo Russell Simpson Wiggo

I posted my best 22 before round 1 this year, but can't find it.:( Either way, it should eventually look something like this.:thumbsu:
B: Thornton Jamison Armfield
HB: Waite Bower Stevens
C: Murphy Hadley Simpson
HF: Houlihan Wiggins Russell
F: Betts Fevola Yarran
Foll: Kreuzer Judd Gibbs
Int: Grigg Scotland Carrazzo Cloke
Emerg: Browne Joseph O'hAilpin

Of course, there are some questions still to be answered. Will Joseph be able to hold his form and place for all of this year? Possibly, if not probably not, but his name is in the best 25 anyway.
CHF was a very tough one as well. The jury is still out on Setanta and Cloke, who may be competing for the 1 spot at best and rotate through CHF and ruck. Maybe this could be Austin's spot for next year.:thumbsu:
Yarran will be eased into the lineup and am happy for this to happen, he should come in towards the second half no doubt.:)
I was a huge fan of Browne but from the sounds of things isn't setting the world on fire in the seconds.:( Has great skills and very versatile though and would be close to getting in soon enough.
Waite's role? 3rd man, loose man in defence is good enough, with stints every now and then on a big, athletic midfielder and in the forward line, with Bower, Jamison and Thronton to play key position (in a perfect world we would have a bigger defender to take on the gorillas, that's where we will most likely be exposed this year).:thumbsdown:
And it's seriously saying something that by next year we should see the names of Warnock, Hampson, Austin, Robinson and possibly Walker (fitness pending should he be on the list next year), in that best 22, if not at the very least 25 lineup next year.:cool:

anybody who names cameron cloke in their best 22 will not earn any respect from me. he is hopeless, and would not have a clue about what to do when the ball hits the deck. piss weak as a modern day player

anybody who names cameron cloke in their best 22 will not earn any respect from me. he is hopeless, and would not have a clue about what to do when the ball hits the deck. piss weak as a modern day player

This is like saying "Anyone who reckons that Picasso clown can paint will not earn any respect from me. He is hopeless and has no sense of dimension or realism. Talent-free as a modern day artist.

Different people see different things differently. Have your own opinion sure but categorising others on their player preferences seems unnecessarily judgemental. Which of course is what I am being right now. :)

:eek:
messenger-enlarged.jpg

If you read it more carefully I said, the jury is still out on Cloke.:thumbsu: Pretty easy to shoot the messenger when you don't post your own team and the topic.:thumbsdown::eek: And FWIW, he is no Ackland.:rolleyes:
BTW thy, I still think you are Tasmania's no.1 poster on this site and your last post confirmed just that.;)

I watch a fair bit of Carltons games and go to a few with one of my mates so i dont mind them too much.
If i put together a best 22 for Carlton to play tomorrow with everyone fit it would look like this:

B: Bower Jamison Carrazzo
HB: Thornton Waite Scotland
C: Simpson Judd Stevens
HF: Houlihan Kreuzer Walker
F: Betts Fevola Wiggins
R: Warnock Murphy Gibbs
INT: Cloke Hadley Russell Grigg

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Best 22

B: Thornton Jamison Browne
HB: Bower Austin Russell
C: Simpson Mclean Gibbs
HF: Robinson Waite Yarran
F: Betts Henderson Walker
R: Kreuzer Judd Murphy

I/C: Grigg Hampson Joseph Scotland

Bullants

B: Armfield White Anderson
HB: Davies Donaldson O'keeffe
C: Lucas Hadley Johnson
HF: Garlett O'hAilpin Houlihan
F: Wiggins Casboult Fisher
O/B: Warnock Carrazzo Ellard

I/C: Cachia Dare Jacobs Kerr Labi Tiller Tuohy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HB: Bower Austin Grigg

I/C: Russell, Hampson and whoever else is in form.

My only question mark is on Walker. Wildcard on 2 levels. His shoulder standing up, and the exact position we should play him. Plonking him the fwd pocket to start with.

Re: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Best 22

HB: Bower Austin Russell

Mine is very similar, only a couple of variations:

HB: Walker Bower Russell
F: Betts Henderson O'hailpin

I feel the backline is a bit top heavy with 4 talls. I like Austin but at the moment view him as depth to the other 3 defenders unless he can knock one of them out of the side. He'll get his chance to do so as all of our kpp defenders seem a bit injury prone.

Depending on Warnock's ability to get on the park and O'hailpin possibly turning out to be a flop then my alternate best 22 is:

HB: Walker Bower Russell
HF: Robinson Henderson Yarran
F: Betts Kreuzer Waite
R: Warnock Judd Murphy

Using the extra man back as they do now.

Carlton
B: Joseph,, Jamison, Bower
Hb: Russell, Austin, Walker, Thornton
C: Gibbs, McLean, Simpson (vc)
Hf: O’hAilpin, Waite (maybe rotating with Walker at times)
F: Betts, Henderson, Yarran
Foll: Kreuzer, Judd (c)
Rov: Murphy
I/c: Houlihan, Warnock, Carrazzo, Scotland,

Northern Bullants
B: Armfield, White, Dare
Hb: Browne, Davies, Wiggins, O’Keeffe
C: Cachia, Hadley, Lucas
Hf: Donaldson, Robinson
F: Garlett, Casboult, Fisher
Foll: Hampson, Grigg
Rov: Ellard
I/c: (from) Anderson, Johnson, Jacobs, Kerr,
Labi, Tiller, Tuohy,

Of course there's the Bullants players too to put in under VFL rules meaning the Bullants seconds will look pretty good too.

my best 22 for 2010 (at the moment:thumbsu:)
humuef.jpg

BACKLINE: Jamo + Austin on the opposition best 2 forwards, T-bird the general. Bower + JR to use their pace and take the game on from half-back. AJ / Carrotts swapping between a midfield tagging role and blanketing the opposition small forward.

MIDFIELD: Judd, Gibbs Murphy, McLean, Simpson, Joseph, Carazzo to rotate through as well as bursts from Walker, Hoops and Yarran. Maybe one more mid (Hadley, Grigg, Lucas) could be squeezed into the side at the expense of a tall... but still a very dangerous and complete midfield.

FORWARD:
Not expecting Setanta to be a 50+ FF, but will create a contest every time (without getting a knee to the back ;)), and along with Waitey, Henderson and Kreuze, we have some potent KPF options. Eddie, Garlett + Yarran to buzz around at their feet creating havoc, chasing & tackling. Tex is our X-Factor who could tear a side apart on his day, and Hoops' class and experience are invaluable.

RUCKS:
Kreuze as #1 ruckman, resting in the FP. Hammer, Warnock and Jacobs fighting it out for the #2 spot. At the moment I think Hammer is ahead, but could be any one of them by years end.

I like it :)

Carlton Best 22
B: Mark Austin; Michael Jamison; Dennis Armfield
HB: Jordan Russell; Paul Bower; Bret Thornton
C: Kade Simpson; Brock McLean; Bryce Gibbs
HF: Chris Yarran; Jarrad Waite; Mitch Robinson
F: Andrew Walker; Lachlan Henderson; Eddie Betts
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer; Chris Judd
Rov. Marc Murphy
I/C: Shaun Hampson; Aaron Joseph; Andrew Carrazzo; Richard Hadley

Reserves
B: Joseph Dare; Simon White; Chris Johnson
HB: Rhys O'Keeffe; Joshua Donaldson; Joe Anderson
C: Shaun Grigg; David Ellard; Ryan Houlihan
HF: Rohan Kerr; Setanta O'hAilpin; Simon Wiggins
F: Jeffery Garlett; Levi Casboult; Brad Fisher
Foll: Robert Warnock; Jaryd Cachia
Rov. Kane Lucas
I/C: Sam Jacobs; Marcus Davies; Steven Browne; Caleb Tiller

*players in italic are ones i think will get a shot at senior football in 2010

We're building a great list.

Reserves

Rov. Kane Lucas
I/C: Sam Jacobs; Marcus Davies; Steven Browne; Caleb Tiller

/quote]

Say what? :eek:

Not sure why I get enjoyment out of doing this but here we go again:

Browne Jamison Russell
Robinson Bower Scotland
Walker McLean Gibbs
Thornton Henderson Waite
Betts Kreuzer Yarran

Warnock Judd Murphy

IC: Joseph Simpson Hampson Grigg

Apologies to Armfield, Lucas, Carrazzo and Hadley in particular

I just can't see the likes of the older boys in Fisher, Wiggins, Houlihan and O'hAilpin getting seriously involved next year.
If they do it may be out of necessity rather than want.

The aforementioned squad now needs time to get to understand one another, and gel into a team with a game plan.

Couldn't be stuffed writting a new one as i just changed yours Harks. This is what I think. I think we could use Thornton in the fwd line now that we have Jamo back.

I cannot honestly justify having Aaron Joesph in our best 22 right now (except as an emergancy)

BTW LOL @ The General having a player in our best 22, who has yet to play a senior game (Yarran) and Austin (who is still unproven at senior level)

I am still not convinced about the 'supposed' depth at Carlton either, if that was the case, surely we should have beaten a Hawthorn team last night, minus most of it's premiership winning backline.

Tool

B: B. Thornton - M. Jamison - A. Joseph
HB: J. Russell - M. Austin - P. Bower
C: B. Gibbs - B. McLean - K. Simpson
HF: M. Robinson - J. Waite - C. Yarran
F: A. Walker - L. Henderson - E. Betts

Foll: M. Kruezer - C. Judd - M. Murphy

Int: S. Hampson - K. Lucas - H. Scotland - R. Hadley

I don't like Thornton forward. Not because he could not kick us the odd goal, but he has honed his skill too well to muck around with it now.

For me Thornton is our quiet general down back.
He leaves his man at the right time in order to spoil or mark the dangerous ball coming into the forward line.

Sadly we recall his impetuous nature at times or his slow movement of the ball going forward.
I noticed this year that some of that is by virtue of a directive nature rather than an instinctive nature.

With Jamo back next year and with Austin giving us a solid CHB contribution Thronton may just be freed up to spend more time driving the ball forward rather than sideways.

A solid and intuitive backline will transpose to a dangerous, floating forward line.
This looks like the plan that will take effect, from where I sit.

No problems with this Hark man. I just think that it's something we could try. We have an inexperienced fwd line and he might be able to take charge down there and help them gel together a bit quicker.

I don't like Thornton forward. Not because he could not kick us the odd goal, but he has honed his skill too well to muck around with it now.

For me Thornton is our quiet general down back.
He leaves his man at the right time in order to spoil or mark the dangerous ball coming into the forward line.

Sadly we recall his impetuous nature at times or his slow movement of the ball going forward.
I noticed this year that some of that is by virtue of a directive nature rather than an instinctive nature.

With Jamo back next year and with Austin giving us a solid CHB contribution Thronton may just be freed up to spend more time driving the ball forward rather than sideways.

A solid and intuitive backline will transpose to a dangerous, floating forward line.
This looks like the plan that will take effect, from where I sit.

I have long wanted to see Thornton in the Forward 50 (again), even when Fev was still there. I just think that with his overhead marking ability, good body on body work, and his sound kicking he would give us another potential permanent FWD option.

On the contrary to what you have written above (you are right about the quiet general & his ability to read the play) I still think that we could now afford the luxury of moving him forward now that we have another few draftees who play back. This would also allow us to see if Austin is as capable of holding down CHB as so many have vouched for him.

With potentially Judd, Murphy & Waite missing from the Round 1 lineup, this would be an ideal time to trail him forward.

Worth a look at least!

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back