Cat got your tongue? Is there anything beyond "Geelong clap clap clap"?

Remove this Banner Ad

You can only sing at sport when you have time to sing.

Yep - to throw a blanket stat AFL is the complete inverse of singing:cheering ratio compared to soccer. Simply we spent 90% of the game cheering and they spent 90% of the game chanting.

I would love to get home ground wide chants and singing though, but it sure as shit is not bigfooty who can organise it. I imagine the cheer squad is too obsessed with being the cheer squad and are mentally stuck in the 1960s so it won't come from there. I would put it back that the club should have more responsibility to encourage and organise supporter ideas via the membership database. Raffle tickets and stickers is frackin VFL level thinking.

Yep - to throw a blanket stat AFL is the complete inverse of singing:cheering ratio compared to soccer. Simply we spent 90% of the game cheering and they spent 90% of the game chanting.

I would love to get home ground wide chants and singing though, but it sure as shit is not bigfooty who can organise it. I imagine the cheer squad is too obsessed with being the cheer squad and are mentally stuck in the 1960s so it won't come from there. I would put it back that the club should have more responsibility to encourage and organise supporter ideas via the membership database. Raffle tickets and stickers is frackin VFL level thinking.

Rubbish.

Get a good enough chant going with a few hundred people close to each other and week by week it will grow.

Get a good enough chant going with a few hundred people close to each other and week by week it will grow.

I agree that this is not something the club needs to, or should try to manage.
E.g. Does anyone remember the club's bright idea to update the club song. Thankfully, common sense prevailed once the Cats faithful let their views be known.

It has to be a "grass roots" initiative, which is perfect for BF.

The 3AW call of the chant is the best I feel.

Well now I'm just going to have to watch it and see for myself :D

Have you heard the K-Rock commentary? As a football follower its the worst on radio (maybe behind *snore* 5AA) but as a GEELONG NUT its freaking awesome! :D

Up in S-E suburbs of Melb I actually work with the guy who leads most of the chanting in this mob, I think he started it because he is a mad Man U fan (yes, before they were good) who wanted to see some soccer style chants go up around KP. Some of the chants are just funny, others downright rude (but still funny). I'll join in with these guys if I haven't gone to the footy with a friend. You can find em pretty much always in the corner of the Terrace at KP, right up the back next to the signs. Or around back of M3 at the G. Newcomers always welcome.
Some of the chants I can remember:
- Oh Paul Chapman, you are the love of my life (sung to tune of Frankie Vallie's Can't Take My Eyes Off You). This is the one most outsiders have heard. At the 2011 GF I even snapped a girl wearing a custom top that said Paul Chapman I'd Let You Shag My Wife LOL
- Scarlo, Scarlo, Scarlo! Also used to chant "Scarlo give us a wave" - when he was at the terrace end of KP. He never did wave though, that's one reason more why we loved him.
- Jim Bartel, super-star, he's got more medals than St Kil-dar - Def one of my faves he he
- She missed it, she's a queer, she's got VD, ooh aah, ooh my gah, ooh my gah, ooh ah - (something like that anyway), when opposition misses a goal
- Steve Johnson - Pisspot! Pisspot! Pisspot! - usually when he kicks a goal. Funny, but I don't sing it, SJ commands a bit more respect these days.
- Same old (insert club name here), always cheating! Same old XXX, always cheating! - Think this is an english soccer one
- the Arsene Wenger chant that Man U fans (maybe other clubs?) sing, pretty bad but I love singing it when the person in the chant is S Milne LOL. You'll have to find the words to this one yourself :)
- He's quick, he's black, he has a f**** crack, Varcoe, Varcoe! some might find it distasteful but obviously no racism intended, we love Varcs to bits
- Stokesy: Stokes, stokes wherever you may be....- this one has drug, sex and St Kilda player references, everything really, but really quite funny to sing.
- also chants for H Taylor (Yellow Submarine) and Joel Selwood, was one also for the favorite son but its dead and buried naturally
There's one for Pies, can' remember it, I'm sure there is one reserved for Hawks as well, if not, well we'll work on it LOL

Let's go
Gee Long
let's go
(clap clap)

:rolleyes:

Wearing piss and the poo
he's not short on guile
Rioli can run a mile
He's always 'can do'
with a disturbing smile
Yes. Cyril's a paedophile
(oy!)

Sheer poetry.
Literally (yes, actually literally for once).
I just hope the Government does the right thing and supports your bid for the Nobel Prize for Doggerel.

Well now I'm just going to have to watch it and see for myself :D

Have you heard the K-Rock commentary? As a football follower its the worst on radio (maybe behind *snore* 5AA) but as a GEELONG NUT its freaking awesome! :D

i have to say i love krock commentary, i find the other ones really boring and my partner is a collywobble supporter ( yes i loved the 2011 gf) and he prefers krock also

What's not to like... other than the club that imported* [the Collingwood slow chant]?

* I say imported, as I believe it is a straight copy of a British soccer club chant. Probably Arsenal, but I am still looking for confirmation of this.

They're probably not the only ones, but Tottenham Hotspurs use this chant.

See 6:15 into this clip

I think they sing "Come on you Spurs"

For the Round 1 Hawthorn game we should chant

"Go Cats go, ten in a row!"

And if we extend the streak just change ten to whatever number it may be.

With all due respect (which generally means not much) I just don't think we need anything other than the way we have always supported. I'm not denigrating singing, chanting or whistling out your arse for that matter but I'm just a bit over the seaming lack of satisfaction with how we relate to OUR GAME. I understand there is a perception that kids won't buy into the sport if we don't play sh:( music too loud in the breaks & pox graphics on the big screens after every goal but I would prefer it if we gave the game a chance to make them learn to love it they way I did (via years of pain watching us fail to deliver from the wing in the 70s).
Thanks, I feel much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a current cheer squad member, however not in anyway long serving, I can tell you the following:

After every goal, we chant "Geelong clap clap clap" for a while followed by "GOALKICKER GOALKICKER GOALKICKER, OI OI OI!"

During play, there's about ten different chants that are cycled through, but usually three-four of them are used each game. We all make as much noise as we possibly can, and stay till the final siren.

I don't think you can expect much more. Everyone there does a brilliant job.

As a current cheer squad member, however not in anyway long serving, I can tell you the following:

After every goal, we chant "Geelong clap clap clap" for a while followed by "GOALKICKER GOALKICKER GOALKICKER, OI OI OI!"

During play, there's about ten different chants that are cycled through, but usually three-four of them are used each game. We all make as much noise as we possibly can, and stay till the final siren.

They are looking for crowd participation on a wider level. And the cheer squad only has about 5-6 chants that no one else knows except for the geeeeeeelong drone which we can't seem to start up on a wide level when we try.

The cheer squad deserve a lot of credit, and this thread is not meant in anyway to take away from that.

I think most of us want the same thing, the best atmosphere possible to help the team and give all Cats supporters a buzz.
It is not unhealthy though, to look at what the Cats crowd is currently doing and ways to add to that.

Could you possibly post the current chants/songs into this thread?
If nothing else, it might enable more people to join in.

Oh, and welcome to BigFooty Geelong Board.
I am still new myself, but can tell you this board is great for Cats fans.

With all due respect (which generally means not much) I just don't think we need anything other than the way we have always supported. I'm not denigrating singing, chanting or whistling out your arse for that matter but I'm just a bit over the seaming lack of satisfaction with how we relate to OUR GAME. I understand there is a perception that kids won't buy into the sport if we don't play sh:( music too loud in the breaks & pox graphics on the big screens after every goal but I would prefer it if we gave the game a chance to make them learn to love it they way I did (via years of pain watching us fail to deliver from the wing in the 70s).
Thanks, I feel much better.

Roland the Farter was a medieval farter in 12-century England. He held Hemingstone manor in Suffolk in return for his services as a jester for King Henry II. Each year he was obliged to perform "Unum saltum et siffletum et unum bumbulum" (one jump, one whistle, and one fart) for the King's court at Christmas.

What did he do? I missed that story
Watch the last quarter of the Grand Final about half way through and look for the guy standing up conducting the Geelong chant back at the Collingwood supporters

Please stop (the bolded bit), and encourage the rest of the cheer squad to stop. This is hugely embarrassing for the rest of us.

Roland the Farter was a medieval farter in 12-century England. He held Hemingstone manor in Suffolk in return for his services as a jester for King Henry II. Each year he was obliged to perform "Unum saltum et siffletum et unum bumbulum" (one jump, one whistle, and one fart) for the King's court at Christmas.
An ancestor of yours, Fred? ;)

Do you mean you chant the goal-kicker's name, or the word "goal-kicker"?
e.g if Duncan kicks a goal it's Dunk's Dunk's Dunk's oi oi oi
or if it was Harry Taylor then it's Harry Harry Harry oi oi oi
It varies inconsistently between first name, surname, nickname (e.g. Bundy) and made up nickname (e.g Dunk's)

e.g if Duncan kicks a goal it's Dunk's Dunk's Dunk's oi oi oi
or if it was Harry Taylor then it's Harry Harry Harry oi oi oi
It varies inconsistently between first name, surname, nickname (e.g. Bundy) and made up nickname (e.g Dunk's)
I can see disaster if either Hunt kicks a goal - especially if anyone has a lisp

I think cheer-squadding lost its point the day the VFL banned them from hurling dunny rolls at the opposition FB and FF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cat got your tongue? Is there anything beyond "Geelong clap clap clap"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back