News Cats are better without me: former coach Mark Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cats are better without me -Mark Thompson

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bomber is not leaving to be senior coach anywhere"- Big deal. He promoted loyalty, but then showed none himself. Besides, I believe that Bomber was enticed to Essendon with the hope that one day he would coach Essendon, once James Hird has finished up. I believe that Bomber will be the next senior coach of Essendon. Count on it!

Also, Ablett leaving didn't hurt us much. We still won a flag, and it allowed other players to come to the fore, e.g. Varcoe, who got more time in the mid-field, and grew because of it. Having Ablett will always be perferable, but we can still have success without him. So, he didn't cost us much at all.

Wonder if you will get behind Chris Scott if he coaches us to two flags, since you think the coach is 100% responsible for our success.

Bomber will not coach again.
What is perfable?

When scott builds a premiership team, i will regard him in the same calibre as bomber.

Bomber was angry as ablett is a self centrerd little fella. Not sure how he did the wrong thing. He loves geelong, just essendon more.

This x10000

Can't believe this doesn't get mention enough, the fact that he contacted them after a Grand Final win just shows how money hungry he is.

Anyways I'm over it great player, shit teammate it would seem.

Like they say, denial is not just a river in Egypt.

I'm guessing the cold hard truth is just too painful for the ablett idolaters and choose to conveniently ignore it.

But that is not what happened is it? Ablett created the position, he wasn't offered it.

Besides, he would have made the same money thru connections b y staying in Geelong over many years during and post playing days. Frank and co would have made sure he was well and truly set for life.

I'm not sure it was about the money in the end.

Oh but it was. He just wanted the 10 million quicker than he would have had he stayed at Geelong which could have taken 10 years or more.

There's no doubt Ablett wanted the money, the thought of getting 10 million in 5 years was to good to be true. If he infact did contact Gold Coast first, then i've lost all respect for him, shows you just how much he wanted the money.

On to Bomber, hold no grudges against him, won us 2 premierships and was a fantastic coach, listening to him nowadays and on AFL360 he still loves Geelong, but he just loves Essendon more. The reason why Bomber left imo was because of Ablett.

This x10000

Can't believe this doesn't get mention enough, the fact that he contacted them after a Grand Final win just shows how money hungry he is.

Anyways I'm over it great player, shit teammate it would seem.

Even if it was the case, I don't feel particularly upset by it. I'd change jobs and move interstate if my salary was multiplied, you'd be irresponsible to yourself if you didn't.

Even if it was the case, I don't feel particularly upset by it. I'd change jobs and move interstate if my salary was multiplied, you'd be irresponsible to yourself if you didn't.

That's the whole point, he would've earnt that money regardless of whether he stayed at Geelong or not.

Clearly quick $$$$ > Premierships for Ablett.

To each their own but I could never respect an individual who has earnt millions and forgoes the pinnacle of his sport just to be able to buy more expensive toys.

There's no doubt Ablett wanted the money, the thought of getting 10 million in 5 years was to good to be true. If he infact did contact Gold Coast first, then i've lost all respect for him, shows you just how much he wanted the money.

On to Bomber, hold no grudges against him, won us 2 premierships and was a fantastic coach, listening to him nowadays and on AFL360 he still loves Geelong, but he just loves Essendon more. The reason why Bomber left imo was because of Ablett.

I got no grudges against either of them. When I heard the Bomber story, I said fair enough. Didn't like his backdoor communications with the Bombers, but thats all. They asked him to coach before they asked Hird, but he said no, and they got Hird. Then he came on board. I understand it wasn't Ablett so much as the front office not backing him up regards Bombers problem with Ablett.

I was upset with Ablett in 2010. Just his attitude that year and all the distracting talk about him leaving. But the 2011 premiership cured that offended. I wish them both well. :thumbsu:

So you would chase a new club straight after you have won a flag...and then lie for a whole year that you haven't made up your mind on already made decision?

To each their own I guess

Starting to sound like a broken record but WOW! If he did contact them after the GF win.

when ablett had his press conference when joining the suns i am sure mckenna admitted that gary contacted them first.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure? Or is that what you heard?

Because if the Suns coach said it, it must be true!

I mean, how dare someone make more money than you!

Bomber will not coach again.
What is perfable?

When scott builds a premiership team, i will regard him in the same calibre as bomber.

Bomber was angry as ablett is a self centrerd little fella. Not sure how he did the wrong thing. He loves geelong, just essendon more.

No, you won't. You won't give Scott credit, because you haven't given him credit for coaching Geelong to a premiership LAST YEAR!

If the coach is 100% responsible for the premiership, then Chris Scott should be lauded just as much as Bomber. If it was 100% Bomber, then how could Scott coach Geelong to the flag?

Also, Geelong won a flag WITHOUT your lovechild Bomber. So, it shows that anyone can successfully coach Geelong.

Also, I give credit to Bartel,Scarlett, Chapman, Selwood, Corey, Ottens, Ling etc, for actually winning three premierships. They got the kicks and marks after all. But I forgot, the players had NOTHING to do with those premierships, according to you.

Where have you ever given credit to a Geelong PLAYER, for anything?

BTW, it was Stephen Wells who built that premiership team, as he was the one to recruit those players, after all.

If you love Bomber so much, Me, then f... off to the Essendon board. You are not a lover of Geelong Cats for mine. You go and pay your respects to that traitor elsewhere.

I can spot an Essendon troll a mile away, so go back to your own boards, and go off to Essendon, like your traitorous mate, Mark "Liar" Thompson. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always look at it like this: Essendon is his wife, Geelong is his mistress. He grew to love Geelong and treated her like a queen but he always knew that he could not leave Essendon. Eventually he got to a stage where he could not keep stringing Geelong along and so he had to end it with Geelong, to return to his loving Essendon. He left her a note on the fridge saying it was over (and to this day, he wishes he had ended it in a better way). Geelong was bitter for a while (she thought that she had convinced him to leave Essendon for good) but after a while she realised that it was for the best.

One night, a few weeks later, Geelong met Chris Scott. It was love at first sight, and the rest is history.

In all seriousness, the way he went about it was shit but I still love what he achieved at Geelong and hold no grudges.

To be fair, she probably needed it. If Kent roots like he kicks, she would be a very unsatisfied woman (though there would be a few mind blowing orgasms every now and then).

haha

I still remember when Kent won the sexiest man of the year poll which women had to vote on by texting some mobile number.

When they announced the winner...he walked on stage (was it the footy show?) to the slight bewilderment of the majority of female viewers, wasn't until he admitted he sent about 2500 msn texts voting for himself and that's how he won the poll :D

anyone else hear Caroline Wilson mention it may have been Bomber Thompson who started the Geelong-infighting with coach rumor?

If so....he obviously said it as a joke and Watson the typical dweeb he is, went with it without even doing any research

Bomber Thompson is right - we are definitely better off without him, or anyone else of his ilk.

It bewilders me that he would obliquely claim any form of credit for leaving the club the way he did. As if he was some sort of altruistic saint. Anyone else claiming it also has it wrong.

We may be better off without him, but its no thanks to him.

Bomber Thompson is right - we are definitely better off without him, or anyone else of his ilk.

It bewilders me that he would obliquely claim any form of credit for leaving the club the way he did. As if he was some sort of altruistic saint. Anyone else claiming it also has it wrong.

We may be better off without him, but its no thanks to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

At last, someone else with some sense!

Your username is appropriate too, because when we consider "Bomber", we should put his character first, (see what I did)?

I'm pretty sure.

I've attempted to transcribe part of the press conference below...

McKenna:
One thing I can say from that meeting too. When we sat down with Gary [at/after] that meeting, I'll be honest, from a club, from a coaches point of view, I thought "hang on, do I smell a rat here? Is he trying to leverage something here, does he want Geelong to know about this, what's the reason behind this....." obviously you're not gonna knock back the chance to talk to him. After that probably 40 minute discussion, we walked away, and I was impressed of the reason why he actually wanted to come and spoke, and he spoke about challenges and all that sort of stuff, and [it] sort of [turned] it around. So I mean, the perception out there with the money and all that sort of stuff, it was, clearly he was coming out to seek us to see how big this challenge was going to be.​

You can hear the full press conference at the link below, and the bit I've transcribed starts at 17:07, but you may want to hear the bits just prior and after for a bit more context - originally Ablett is answering a question from Mark Robinson, and McKenna then continues with his part.

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_gary-ablett-joins-gold-coast-full-press-conference_99824

I'm surprised how many didn't catch this bit, or remember it.

No, you won't. You won't give Scott credit, because you haven't given him credit for coaching Geelong to a premiership LAST YEAR!

If the coach is 100% responsible for the premiership, then Chris Scott should be lauded just as much as Bomber. If it was 100% Bomber, then how could Scott coach Geelong to the flag?

Also, Geelong won a flag WITHOUT your lovechild Bomber. So, it shows that anyone can successfully coach Geelong.

Also, I give credit to Bartel,Scarlett, Chapman, Selwood, Corey, Ottens, Ling etc, for actually winning three premierships. They got the kicks and marks after all. But I forgot, the players had NOTHING to do with those premierships, according to you.

Where have you ever given credit to a Geelong PLAYER, for anything?

BTW, it was Stephen Wells who built that premiership team, as he was the one to recruit those players, after all.

If you love Bomber so much, Me, then f... off to the Essendon board. You are not a lover of Geelong Cats for mine. You go and pay your respects to that traitor elsewhere.

I can spot an Essendon troll a mile away, so go back to your own boards, and go off to Essendon, like your traitorous mate, Mark "Liar" Thompson. :thumbsdown:

Wow just wow

You are blind and missing a few

As for a troll, i think not

Maybe next time dont do a julia

You are ignorant
The suns were blown away that weeks after our premiership win judas sought them out and was analizing their list

And for the record he would have been making plenty at the cats, and repaying people who supported his greedy family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back