Review Cats cloud out Suns by 60 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree.

I also think that if/when we come up against Melbourne in the finals, we will play Stanley and Ceglar.

Im not sure on playing them both but to me stanley subbed 2mins after half time (if the injury was that bad you dont send him back out after HT at all) for the 2nd time in weeks when we are 30 + points up smells of load management to me (ie he is carrying old man soreness rather than actual injury) but we dont want to publicly say that. He will rest next week and we will play ceglar but im not sure we will see ceglar in finals.

View attachment 1476727

That was the team as named, plus MOC as sub.

If we say that our ins are Smith and Duncan, then Menegola has to come out. I would then play Rohan as the Sub, because for short bursts he can play some mid minutes if needed. Jack Henry can play forward if we need the 3rd tall, as can Blicavs and Stanley.

Menegola is needed because our midfield is our weakness not our forward line (best in comp) nor is our defence.
Menegola allows duncan to play hbf (which i think is our best structure) which means 2 of zuthrie moc and kolo are not needed. Pick between miers and rohan for the 3rd omission. We cant spend too many spots in the 22 on players that dont provide a secondary mid rotation as our midfield depth is our achilles heel.

View attachment 1476727

That was the team as named, plus MOC as sub.

If we say that our ins are Smith and Duncan, then Menegola has to come out. I would then play Rohan as the Sub, because for short bursts he can play some mid minutes if needed. Jack Henry can play forward if we need the 3rd tall, as can Blicavs and Stanley.

Rohan has basically never played midfield in his career.

Yep, Cameron is actually wrecking the opposing team’s defensive structures by playing in such a seemingly haphazard and unpredictable way, given that he requires a key defender who is also highly mobile (eg: a Blicavs type player) he is a nightmare match up when he decides to go up the ground.
Nearly all forwards that go up the ground to get touches or provide a marking target outside of D50, are allowed to do this. Teams know that this just what forwards who can’t find the ball are doing to get involved. The standard ploy is to just let them go up and get marks away from their F50 (where they are most dangerous). However with Cameron, he doesn’t do it like the typical key tall. He acts as a link to the mids around the centre of the ground and then has an excellent kick that clears the entire congestion and puts it near Rowan or Hawkins and the small forwards/wings running onto it - and it’s often equal numbers at the fall or the ball (Jez’s kick clears the spare back intercept player or if they run back towards goals, he’ll hit up the leading small forward around 45m). It’s absolute chaos for defence.

There is literally no tactic or defensive player who is suited to defend against this (maybe Blicavs).

@Lana’s false 9 pickup was great. I had a read of that and it’s very similar to what’s happening - and the key thing with that was that for it to be effective - the forward has to be highly skilled (passing/line breaking in AFL terms) to actually be a threat to draw defenders out of position or if they don’t come out to create an outnumber with the mids. This is what Dusty used to do and it was so amazing and could turn a game in an instant.

Last edited:
Rohan is best 22. .

His job in the front line isn't to take contested marks. Its to pressure and to contest high balls so the opposition can't clear it or mark it. And he does his job excellently. If you drop Rohan than Danger picks up his role, which is a downgrade imo. (less effective in the air, unreliable kick at goal, doesn't apply as much pressure). Henry is a better mark than Rohan, but doesn't have the pressure side( which multiples with Close/Stengle/miers also closing down space)
Thank you for understanding the nuances of the game (not many really do).

People don't seem to understand that whilst Rohan doesn't get many cheap touches (or touches at all) his role in the forward line is super important at ground level + also in the air.

It's not just about stats with Rohan.

Who takes pack marks and can compete strongly in the air in our forward line... Hawkins? No, because he doesn't jump at the ball anymore and prefers to wrestle (this only works when one on one).

Cameron? Yes but he still isn't the greatest aerial threat + half the time he seems to be up the ground anyway.

So we need Rohan deep to offer the option of marking or stopping the opposition interceptors from marking.

If Rohan isn't there, Danger is the other option... but it looks like we are playing him (and actually all our mids) on less game time than normal and other sides... and I assume it is to rotate them through the middle so that they can be somewhat fresh and have more power in the contest.

People should look at our mids TOG (time on ground) compared to other sides mids.

All of our inside mids - Selwood, Danger, Parfitt, Atkins, Guthrie, and Holmes will play somewhere in the 65% to 75% game time.

Other side's mids will be more in the 75% to 87% times.

It's obvious to me that we are doing this strategically to not burn our guys out... not sure if it will change come finals... but playing Danger in shorter more powerful bursts through the middle is effective, and it's harder to do that if Rohan is out of the side + you lose Rohan's manic chase down pressure.

Anyway, we certainly are in a prime position and have no excuses.

Last edited:
Can we get more of these slow, loopy kicks please

theres something loopy alright.... just not with Maxy's kicking lol

Go Catters

Thank you for understanding the nuances of the game (not many really do).

People don't seem to understand that whilst Rohan doesn't get many cheap touches (or touches at all) his role in the forward line is super important at ground level + also in the air.

It's not just about stats with Rohan.

Who takes pack marks and can compete strongly in the air in our forward line... Hawkins? No, because he doesn't jump at the ball anymore and prefers to wrestle (this only works when one on one).

Cameron? Yes but he still isn't the greatest aerial threat + half the time he seems to be up the ground anyway.

So we need Rohan deep to offer the option of marking or stopping the opposition interceptors from marking.

If Rohan isn't there, Danger is the other option... but it looks like we are playing him (and actually all our mids) on less game time than normal and other sides... and I assume it is to rotate them through the middle so that they can be somewhat fresh and have more power in the contest.

People should look at our mids TOG (time on ground) compared to other sides mids.

All of our inside mids - Selwood, Danger, Parfitt, Atkins, Guthrie, and Holmes will play somewhere in the 65% to 75% game time.

Other side's mids will be more in the 75% to 87% times.

It's obvious to me that we are doing this strategically to not burn our guys out... not sure if it will change come finals... but playing Danger in shorter more powerful bursts through the middle is effective, and it's harder to do that if Rohan is out of the side + you lose Rohan's manic chase down pressure.

Anyway, we certainly are in a prime position and have no excuses.
Agree rohans main role is in competing the aerial contests and bringing the ball to ground if he can't mark it. Its our big weakness up foward. Still. He would be nervous right now about team selection. Henry can do that role too and we have a lot of defenders in the side. Henry's been played a couple of times up there in the second half of the season.

Rohan is not quite as essential as he has been formerly, due to the emergence of Stengle and Close ( both quick) and the improvement of Mieirs, quick-thinking. However if Rohan could produce his best H and A form in finals he'd be the first picked.

All the young fellows should play, in my opinion, including Zac Guthrie, who get metres gained, because our recent finals record is clear indication that significant change is needed. Menegola has been a great servant of the club but is vulnerable, in my opinion, as is O'Connor.

Funny how Stanley, whom many at different times never wanted to see play again, is now considered essential, which he is. He and Blicavs provide tremendous mobility and help us to compete at the centre bounce: decisive centre clearances leading to goals will be vital if we are to go all the way - see the Dees last year.

As for Holmes, he patently can kick hard and low, and has done so several times in recent weeks. Sorry Seeds.

So Rhys abductor “injury” will be find for the finals and he can get managed next week without it seeming arrogant (he should be cherry ripe by Finals time) and it will give Cegs a chance next week to keep in the mix as a back up in case of emergency.

I think given the pre finals bye we will start to see the “best 22” (it is not as if they need to worry about “match ups” against WC) other than where they are genuinely worried about niggles.

Smith and Duncan rested this week will come back in (with Cegs) so need to find 2 more to come out. To me that will be menagola and maybe they might make Atkins sub to give his a chance of a rest?

I have given up calling for Hawke to be rested (he is on longest playing streak in the AFL) and I don’t think they will now want him having almost 3 weeks without footy into finals unless he needs body recovery and a block of fitness work?

Will be less rather than more changes this week as we start to fine tune the best 22
I reckon (without checking) that Atkins has had less game time the last few weeks. Maybe Close next week as he looked tired this week

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just sussed the ladder predictor and who we play really should come down to the Pies/Blues game.

If Blue win - We should play Freo
If Pies win - We should play Pies

Assuming Swans beat St Kilda in the last game of the round (will be watching as it will impact who we play - although Swans should win).
If the Swans lose to the Saints... It means we will play Dees or Swans.

So Pies or Freo look about 90% atm.

Im not sure on playing them both but to me stanley subbed 2mins after half time (if the injury was that bad you dont send him back out after HT at all) for the 2nd time in weeks when we are 30 + points up smells of load management to me (ie he is carrying old man soreness rather than actual injury) but we dont want to publicly say that. He will rest next week and we will play ceglar but im not sure we will see ceglar in finals.
Ceglar needs another run, that's all it's about.

Just sussed the ladder predictor and who we play really should come down to the Pies/Blues game.

If Blue win - We should play Freo
If Pies win - We should play Pies

Assuming Swans beat St Kilda in the last game of the round (will be watching as it will impact who we play - although Swans should win).
If the Swans lose to the Saints... It means we will play Dees or Swans.

So Pies or Freo look about 90% atm.
By my math the only team (who can make top 4) that we can't play is Brisbane, they'll always be on the other side of the draw. Could be a blessing, they did gift us a GF berth in 2020

By my math the only team (who can make top 4) that we can't play is Brisbane, they'll always be on the other side of the draw. Could be a blessing, they did gift us a GF berth in 2020
It'll be Collingwood we play I reckon.

them or Sydney. Would much rather the Pies. Decent chance we would get a reply of the Port Adelaide Granny.
I'd rather Sydney.

It's almost impossible we play Sydney now.

Depends on whether Carlton can get the pies in r22. Pies win and a GF against them seems unlikely. Carlton win and its a decent chance. The Blues that played the Dee's this weekend will be beat the Pies IMO.
I hope so because the only side I'm worried about is Collingwood.

I hope so because the only side I'm worried about is Collingwood.
GIF by CollingwoodFC

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back