Cats have played 10 first gamers in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who has been missing?

Scarlett has missed 5 matches through suspension/injury, Menzel (season), Vardy (season), Simpson has returned after a year away with a back injury, Varcoe, Wojcinski has been out for most of the year because of suspension/injury, Christensen's missed a month and Kelly has been struggling to regain his All-Australian form due to a worrying groin injury picked up during preseason and missed a few matches also.

You add in the interrupted preseason's to both Johnson (5 weeks due to a knee injury) and Podsiadly (6 weeks shoulder reconstruction) and that a pretty decent chunk of quality who have missed to start our 2012 season.

Just saw the Cats team list for the game against the Pies this weekend, and realized I don't recognize a large chunk of the team! Which ones are the good prospects in the side..?
The hype surrounding Josh Walker is justified - the kid will be a gun

Need to get another 12, because currently there is nothing exciting happening in Geelong.
Hard to believe you are new to BF. I suspect you are using an alias. The anti-Geelong crap that you have been posting in other threads is laughable but also familiar.

Hard to believe you are new to BF. I suspect you are using an alias. The anti-Geelong crap that you have been posting in other threads is laughable but also familiar.
What a surprise a Cat Barracker don't like a Hawk barracker's opinion. I truly hope my opinion doesn't make you lose any sleep. Apologies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you ignore the crap in this thread, it appears the cats young players are not getting a decent run of games to prove themselves.

Cats fans, is this a weakness of Chris Scott to not stick with the youngsters?

Interested in honest opinions.

Would help if you weren't such an obvious troll in your "opinion".
Since when is having an unpopular opinion "trolling", Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its an attempt at trolling. Its like you having a cry because i like strawberry ice cream and you like vanilla.

If you ignore the crap in this thread, it appears the cats young players are not getting a decent run of games to prove themselves.

I think Scott and the match committee have attempted to walk a fine line this season between ushering in a new generation of Geelong footballers and mounting some kind of premiership defense with an aging and injury-hit group - it's an inexact process, no doubt some weeks they have got it wrong.

Games have been poured into Steve Motlop & Taylor Hunt (not debutants but certainly not established players), who can now be considered 'regulars'.
Cameron Guthrie & Billie Smedts have each been given a decent taste (Guthrie played maybe 3 games last season too).
Jesse Stringer was getting a sustained run before police charges where laid against him.

On the other hand, there have been other guys who have possibly struggled to get continuity into their football as they have been in and out of the team; George Horlin-Smith and Mitch Brown, and even Orren Stephenson to a lesser extent.
I'm keen to see more of Brown, who is a delicious prospect, but then again I wasn't too upset to see him make way for raw KF debutant in Josh Walker.

While the team is still in contention to make the 8 and challenge in the finals Chris Scott and co certainly have a duty to find the right balance with this season's team; he has to give the proven players every opportunity to perform whilst also keeping an eye on the future if this year's model isn't capable of challenging.

Obviously the season isn't over yet so I will withhold judgement, it has been an interesting season for Geelong fans though that's for sure.

Last time that Geelong had 10 debuts in a season was 2002.

Gary Ablett
Jimmy Bartel
Paul Chambers
Charlie Gardiner
Brent Grgic
David Johnson
Steve Johnson
James Kelly
Max Rooke
Will Slade

Roger Results, my favourite BF poster, always timely with a thought-provokingly relevant stat, dude is like the Paul DePodesta of BF :thumbsu:

Worth noting that of that 2002 group, Brent Grgic - who was honestly the most insipid footballer I have ever seen wear the hoops, and who used to remind me of Geoff Hayward from the Club after he'd smoked a joint - had already played a few seasons with Melbourne, and maybe David Johnson had played a game or two for the Bombers (?).

Surprised Joel Corey got a game ahead of Murdoch.

So are we. Actually scratch that we are not surprised but are equally unhappy about it. Corey and Stokes both need to be dumped. Knowing us there will be another 2 or 3 late changes though. I reckon Murdoch will come in and acquit himself ok... before being dropped again the next week for some unknown reason.

Need to get another 12, because currently there is nothing exciting happening in Geelong.

How excited were you with the Hawks after the Tigers obliterated you by 11 goals (apart from maybe Carlton would be the last semi decent side the Hawks played that were in good form)? Replace that whole 22? #### off.

If you head to the Geelong forum you will see that a hell of a lot of us are very annoyed with the all over the place selection this year. Fair enough it has not been easy. We have some older players that require managing, we have had senior players injured all year and some missing large chunks and blooding/developing fairly fresh faced youngsters at the same time. However as you have observed some new players (like Murdoch, Horlin Smith and Simpson) have been quickly dropped after reasonable performances. Simpson may not have been that good but as a 23yo injury riddled and inexperienced ruck he DESPERATELY needs games.

Furthermore at times the new players selected have not been in the best in our VFL side while others like Horlin Smith have to bash the door down for over a month before getting little opportunity. And a lot of us are equally annoyed Joel Corey and Matthew Stokes who've both offered next to nothing all year continue to dodge the axe.

David Johnson never played a game at Essendon, he was just on our list for a while.

I distinctly remember Geelong in 2002. They started the season poorly, had a purple patch mid-season and won something like seven in a row, then fell in a heap at the end. But that footy they played in the middle of the season was so exciting. I remember thinking then, with all their young players, that I was watching a team that would likely win a premiership down the track.

Didn't quite expect three premierships, though.

Worth noting that of that 2002 group, Brent Grgic - who was honestly the most insipid footballer I have ever seen wear the hoops, and who used to remind me of Geoff Hayward from the Club after he'd smoked a joint - had already played a few seasons with Melbourne, and maybe David Johnson had played a game or two for the Bombers (?).
Grgic played 5 seasons at Melbourne for 77 games and 29 goals. David Johnson had 2 years as a rookie at Essendon - no games.

How excited were you with the Hawks after the Tigers obliterated you by 11 goals (apart from maybe Carlton would be the last semi decent side the Hawks played that were in good form)?

Nah, they were all in decent form leading up to the Hawks game, but they lost form the moment the Hawks got into them. Stop worrying about the Hawks, worry about your own ailing squad. Geelong ... voyage to the bottom of the ladder now showing at a football ground near you.

Is this a geelong supporter trolling geelong? Or perhaps she doesnt realise that the point she is making is that this is the first time that geelong have faced sustained injuries?

Perhaps she believes that geelong were lucky to make so many grandfinals considering they had no injuries

Yes, Geelong had no injuries for 5 years.

Go and palm your own face, can't be bothered doing it on your behalf.

Yes and in a few cases, no. If we are sticking with Dawson Simpson as ruck, he needs to play regularly. Jordan Murdoch is interesting too. He really hadn't done anything wrong, but is dropped when we need his leg speed. You'd hope Scott and his assistants know what they are doing, though. And I put my faith in the guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats have played 10 first gamers in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back