Cats have played 10 first gamers in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong aren't blaming anybody for anything.

We are 2 games clear in 7th place and have a very youthful squad that are getting better with more experience. The strategy is deliberate and we are realised that it would take an impact on our onfield performances - if you actually listen to what the club and Scott are saying they are openly admitting they are trying to regenerate an ageing list at the same time as staying competitive. In that regard we are achieving the goals set out at the start of the year.!

Thats all good and well and I respect Geelong highly. However my point remains that you havent really had all that many injuries this year. Just a couple of unproven ruckmen, a premiership star, and a quality second year player.

Wood is a better backup than anybody at Geelong.

Behind Wood and Jolly we are slowly developing a couple of kids. Ceglar will be in third season next year and ready to step up. Witts will be in his second year and is a man monster.
And good on Collingwood for doing that.....it was there Achilles heel for a long time and they have addressed that and look to have a few prospects coming through.

If this was a thread about how awesome Collingwood are then I would tend to agree that you have got some options aside from Jolly. However, this is a thread about Geelong and how we are following a strategy which so far is panning out pretty well.

Guess we will see tonight how West compares to Jolly - didn't do a bad job in last years GF!

Ruckmen change clubs every year. They are easy to obtain. Geelong decided to take a punt on a no-name journeyman from the VFL. They have nobody to blame but themselves for the fact that Trent West is their only option. Richmond picked up some bloke who couldnt get a game for the Crows last year. Hes done ok.

In fairness Ottens retitred after trade period. However, i agree we did fall asleep a little bit after the Grand Final in regards to planning, that happens.

Geelong have done as well as can expected, they played a Prelim in 04. It is exhausting being up for that long. Sloppiness creeping in hurts as much as the draft picks.

I have great admiration for what Collingwood has achieved over the last decade in regards to freshening up their list, though ultimately Geelong won the war. Even a 100 point win tonight won't change that, only two more Flags will draw you level.

Thats all good and well and I respect Geelong highly. However my point remains that you havent really had all that many injuries this year. Just a couple of unproven ruckmen, a premiership star, and a quality second year player.
No we haven't had that many injuries, what we have done is given opportunities to younger players at every given opportunity. We have rested Senior players (or replaced through suspension) and in all games we have had between 6-11 players with under 30 games experience. That is our strategy, whether right or wrong it is what we are clearly implementing right now.

Nah, they were all in decent form leading up to the Hawks game, but they lost form the moment the Hawks got into them. Stop worrying about the Hawks, worry about your own ailing squad. Geelong ... voyage to the bottom of the ladder now showing at a football ground near you.

Seeing as how we have never been there in the time frame of the AFL that's a rather large call to make

In fairness Ottens retitred after trade period. However, i agree we did fall asleep a little bit after the Grand Final in regards to planning, that happens.

Geelong have done as well as can expected, they played a Prelim in 04. It is exhausting being up for that long. Sloppiness creeping in hurts as much as the draft picks.

I have great admiration for what Collingwood has achieved over the last decade in regards to freshening up their list, though ultimately Geelong won the war. Even a 100 point win tonight won't change that, only two more Flags will draw you level.

Exactly; Over a long period we were able to see off challenges from very strong opposition in Collingwood, Hawthorn and St Kilda to claim 3 flags.

Our best team is no longer out there because of Age, Retirements and Trade (Ablett!!). We won the war and conquered the top over a long period....we came back numerous times against very worthy challengers (very Ali and Rocky like!) and still managed to put a statement on our dynasty and finish on top of these contenders. It is very rare that a football team gets to achieve that level of success, Brisbane being the only modern day equivalent and of course the Hawthorn era of the 80's was emphatic.

I feel the competition is going into a great period over the next few years and I can't see any vast superiority in which Geelong demonstrated for 5 years. There are simply too many contenders now (and i still think Geelong is one of them!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats have played 10 first gamers in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back