Preview Cats V Hawks Sat Jul6 435 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without going seedy and checking the facts I reckon Breust has a very good record against us. Need a tight rein on him.
Same feeling and I'd also add Gunston....

This one is going to be very tough.
We mustn't let them dominate the midfield , keep the pressure on them for the full game and create a spare in defence to intercept their pressured entries.
Lose the midfield and let them have quality I50 entries and we're done for.
Big test for us , Hawks are flying at the moment.

It seems strange to play him as a midfielder when he hasn't played there at all for the VFL team though. Why wouldn't they have at least trialed it in the 2s if they were considering it in the AFL?

Granted, Stewart moved to the midfield full time last week without a 'trial', so maybe it happens. But it still seems unlikely.

It's been repeatedly mentioned since the pre-season that Stewart spent a good portion of summer training with the midfield group

So while he may not have had a run through there in the VFL, it wasn't a move from no where

It's been repeatedly mentioned since the pre-season that Stewart spent a good portion of summer training with the midfield group

So while he may not have had a run through there in the VFL, it wasn't a move from no where

It's strange, even though most of our mids have been defensive-leaning this year, I felt Stewart played that defensive mid better than anyone last week. It felt like the first time in a long time the opposition mids didn't easily waltz out of the centre bounce.

It's strange, even though most of our mids have been defensive-leaning this year, I felt Stewart played that defensive mid better than anyone last week. It felt like the first time in a long time the opposition mids didn't easily waltz out of the centre bounce.

I'm not sure how noticeable it was on TV versus at the ground, but when Stewart was in at centre bounces, he was never starting up on the circle like teammates, and instead looked to be a good 3m - 4m back off the circle on the defensive side

He was also good at holding his depth and not getting sucked into the ball like we've seen teammates get done doing

It was reported in the media but all the watchers I heard said they never saw him training with the mids.

Part of that is on Essendon but yeah, he's a brute of a man to have in there

I'm not sure how noticeable it was on TV versus at the ground, but when Stewart was in at centre bounces, he was never starting up on the circle like teammates, and instead looked to be a good 3m - 4m back off the circle on the defensive side

He was also good at holding his depth and not getting sucked into the ball like we've seen teammates get done doing
Wasn't heaps noticeable on TV but man you'd want to read the taps well to execute that

Thanks cats09, great to know.

Doubt he needed a stint in VFL.

We definitely need him in our MF on Saturday.

Would like to see how Mannagh performs in MF rotating from high half forward.

Prefer to have OHenry as sub.

Would be fantastic if we snaffled the win.

It was reported in the media but all the watchers I heard said they never saw him training with the mids.
Cats09 has inside intel, go with her :joycat:

MFrs Stewart trained with were obviously wearing masks to disguise their identities 😜

Wasn't heaps noticeable on TV but man you'd want to read the taps well to execute that

The interesting thing is that whoever he was matching up on at the centre bounces would go with him to wherever Stewart would position himself

So it also worked to reduce immediate congestion at the fall of the ball, but also something of a sweeper to stop easy exits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interesting thing is that whoever he was matching up on at the centre bounces would go with him to wherever Stewart would position himself

So it also worked to reduce immediate congestion at the fall of the ball, but also something of a sweeper to stop easy exits
Hawthorn, with ruck dominance, you would think would be too smart for that

I fancy the Cats by a couple of goal at this stage.I seen plenty of Mabior Chol when with the Suns he's a confidence player we need to make sure he doesn't get off the chain he can straighten them up going forward when free wheeling. I see him with our lack of height down back being the danger man but all in all at home we should be to good.

They have to play someone in the midfield though, we've got too many forwards out there.
Yeah I agree. But we've known since the start of the year that with Cameron, OHenry, Rohan, Close, Stengle, Miers, Hawkins (or now Neale), that it would be hard to fit Mannagh in the forward line. So why didn't they at least try Mannagh in the midfield in the VFL if they thought that might be an avenue into the side for him? Especially because we've also known for a while that our midfield has been a relative area of weakness in the AFL.

I don't care if he does play there, in fact I would kind of like to see it. But it just seems strange to parachute him into the midfield in the AFL when he has been playing VFL as a half forward for the past 2 months

Yes I know. And Stewart was never going to go back to the VFL to have a run there, but that option was clearly there for Mannagh. I was just using it as an example to show that while I think it would be strange to bring in Mannagh to play as a mid with little preparation there, Scott has shown a willingness to throw the magnets around.

SDK in the ruck was probably a better example

Yeah I agree. But we've known since the start of the year that with Cameron, OHenry, Rohan, Close, Stengle, Miers, Hawkins (or now Neale), that it would be hard to fit Mannagh in the forward line. So why didn't they at least try Mannagh in the midfield in the VFL if they thought that might be an avenue into the side for him? Especially because we've also known for a while that our midfield has been a relative area of weakness in the AFL.

I don't care if he does play there, in fact I would kind of like to see it. But it just seems strange to parachute him into the midfield in the AFL when he has been playing VFL as a half forward for the past 2 months
Yeah, I agree if they haven't played him they're in the 2s is because they don't think his midfield work will translate to seniors.

Roll the dice with him I guess. Don't have much to lose

Wish I had a dollar for every time we were just being conservative
Donald Duck Money GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back