Game Day Cats V Hawks Sat Jul6 435 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 2039872
Here’s to another classic with no injuries.
I said to a mate last night, I hate Geelong, but have massive respect for the club, and love the rivalry.
By comparison I just hate Essendon they are scum. That is a big difference.
Good luck.
Haha absolutely agree, I hate the Hawks but respect them. It’s been one Hell of a rivalry and might be building again, today will be telling!

BTW, here's Smith's top 5 clashes between Geelong & Hawthorn - two of the games include matches Smith had the chance to win with the last kick of the match

1. PRELIMINARY FINAL, 2013

Hawthorn 14.18 (102) def Geelong 15.7 (97)

Right up there with the greatest games of the modern era, the Hawks came from 20 points down at the final change to win through to a grand final and finally end the Kennett Curse. It was Hawthorn’s first win over Geelong since the 2008 grand final.

Isaac Smith says: “Geelong was obviously in charge going into the final quarter and Ben Stratton and Shaun Burgoyne rocked up. I think Stratton took three intercept marks in the middle of the ground and Geelong were bombing it straight up the middle and Shaun Burgoyne turned it on the middle and kicked that amazing goal.

“I’m sure we were concerned at some point in time but we had worked the whole year at trying to close games out and we knew we had to be within touching distance at three quarter-time.

“I’m sure Stratton was underrated from the outside because he didn’t get that fanfare but he was kamikaze the way he attacked the ball and you could ask him to do anything for the team and he would do it. He had as much respect from his teammates as anyone in that side and he was able to lock down some of the best forwards and also help out.

“Geelong was probably winning (during the ‘curse’ era) because they were the better side and they managed games better. Psychologically at times things like that when they are built up so big publicly, in turn it becomes internal. Then psychologically it does have an impact but I remember breaking it in 2013 and pretty much the meeting before the game, on the day before, Clarko (Alastair Clarkson) said ‘enough is enough, it is ending tomorrow’.”
---

2. ROUND 19, 2012

Hawthorn 17.14 (116) def by Geelong 18.10 (118)

All footy fans can picture this night and Tom Hawkins thumping one through from 55m to win the game after the siren. The Cats started incredibly and led by 51 points at one stage, but the Hawks pulled them back and appeared to have control, until the Cats went coast-to-coast to win it.

Smith says: “We reeled it all the way back and I thought we were going to win. It felt like we had control of the whole match after quarter-time there and then ‘Hawk’ steps up after the siren from 55m and bangs it through.

“I can’t remember where I was standing when he kicked the goal but as soon as he marked it I remember thinking, ‘oh this is going through’. And he is probably not known for his kicks outside 50m to be honest.”
---

3. QUALIFYING FINAL, 2016

Geelong 12.13 (85) def Hawthorn 12.11 (83)

A seesawing classic final in front of 87,533 fans, the game rested with Smith, who pulled a set shot from 50m out after the siren to the right.

Smith says: “You have got to be pretty level about it all I guess. You have so many opportunities to win or lose games and that is the beauty of sport. There is always success and there is always failure, it doesn’t matter who’s career you look at. At that time it was my turn to fail. You certainly learn more about yourself from that situation than the games where you win.

“It was not ideal seeing Harry Taylor celebrating and carrying on like an absolute pork chop but that is sport isn’t it.

“It goes down into folklore as one of the great games of the Hawthorn-Geelong rivalry.

“We lost the qualifying final and although you were devastated that you missed it (the shot at goal) we had a game to play the next week. As the days went on the harder it got. I sort of stopped going to the supermarkets and cafes. I remember my wife was in Europe and as soon as she got back and we lost to the Bulldogs (in a semi-final) we went straight to the airport and booked flights out of the country and didn’t come back for a few weeks. It wasn’t an ideal time to be honest, you couldn’t step out in Melbourne without copping a fair bit of ridicule.

“That’s sport, you put yourself out there and you are going to have moments of success and failure. That’s just life.”
---

4. ROUND 17, 2017

Geelong 13.10 (88) def Hawthorn 12.13 (85)

In Luke Hodge’s 300th game, Hawks fans – and players – felt relief when a red-hot Patrick Dangerfield limped from the field with a sore foot. He was sent to full-forward and put together an iconic second half, finishing the game with 5.6 from 13 shots. With eight seconds on the clock, Jack Gunston spotted Smith inside-50. He played on from the mark and just missed a shot to the right.

Smith says: “Roughy (Jarryd Roughead) cleaned up Danger right at the end of the first quarter and we thought, ‘right we are a genuine chance here now’.

“Then he went up forward and turned into Gary Ablett Sr and took a hanger on Stratto. I remember I had body on him and I was like ‘there is no chance I can even attempt to go with him here’.

“I have played against some players – I remember Nic Naitanui played a game where I thought that was so influential as a player that nobody could go near him – and I remember in that game, Danger was as influential in an individual game as I have ever played against. He was on a different level.

“We had multiple players on him and I remember getting the call to sit in the hole in front of him and I was thinking ‘well that is going to do no good, he is just going to obliterate me’. He was near sprinting like a 100m race to get out of the blocks to take marks. It was as impressive an individual performance as I have played against. It was a really cool experience to be out on the ground and witness it.

“I remember taking the mark (at the end of the game) and didn’t know how far out I was and I should have taken a set shot but I played on. I thought it went through because I got tackled while I kicked it. When I hit it I thought ‘that’s going through’. I should have just gone back and had a shot at goal to be honest.”
---

5. ROUND 3, 2021

Geelong 10.9 (69) def Hawthorn 9.10 (64)

The build up to this Easter Monday meeting was all about Smith, as he played against Hawthorn for the first time. He copped some boos from Hawks fans. A memorable Jordan Clark running goal gave Geelong enough breathing space to hold on late.

Smith says: “I always enjoyed the booing because I took it that they respected the player, or they were disappointed that you were gone.

“I remember I had gastro the night before. I didn’t sleep, it was coming out of both ends and my wife wanted to call the doctor and tell them I wasn’t playing but I said ‘are you kidding, I have to play this game’.

“I ran out on the ground and not one of the Hawks players talked to me. I think Sam Mitchell gave them the advice that I quite like a chat so keep everything silent which was quite annoying. I got in a good push and shove with Jarman Impey, who I am good mates with, so that was quite funny.

“It was a bit weird but I am so glad I got to do it. It was odd but what an experience and there were unbelievable leanings to take out of it.

“It was an awesome goal by Jordan. And I was very ecstatic to get the win.”

The Smith File​

• Total AFL games: 280, Hawthorn: 210, Geelong: 70
  • Hawthorn highlights - 3 premierships, club vice-captain
  • Geelong highlights - 2022 premiership, 2022 Norm Smith Medal
  • 20 games against Geelong. Goals: 12, disposal average 20.4, wins: 8
  • 3 games against Hawthorn. Goals: 0, disposal average: 21.7, wins: 2

Ahhh bummer.

In the end they got it over us then.

I find it hard to hang shite on them.

Similar thing with the Tiges.

At least we got the most recent flag.
While I find it difficult to see it that way, I do think it's even more reason for Geelong, with young guns firing, our older heroes providing steadfast + experienced play.

While Blitz is 'supposed' to be our main ruck, with SDK as backup + does anyone think Neale may have a stint?

If players can click like last week, Bowes was great, plus the same or better for Dempsey, Stewart + Holmes. Hopefully Danger isn't too sore, was phenomenal last week. Stengle should be on fire now he's staying. Would love a huge bag for Rohan in game 200. How fantastic would it be if Cameron went goal kicking crazy? I'm dying to see Miers' magic.

A four quarter effort, 100% from every player + no injuries, please.

This is exactly what I want to see!

Geelong - Poos+Wees - Comic.jpg

How fantastic would it be if Cameron went goal kicking crazy?

A four quarter effort, 100% from every player + no injuries, please.

This is exactly what I want to see!

Jezza is more than due for a bag of goals. No Sicily and i don't see who potentially in their backline can go with him for pace/marking ability? Maybe CJ but then that takes him away from his regular role.

Back at Kardinia, we need our guys up and firing and to snuff them out early.

Don't give them a sniff!

View attachment 2039872
Here’s to another classic with no injuries.
I said to a mate last night, I hate Geelong, but have massive respect for the club, and love the rivalry.
By comparison I just hate Essendon they are scum. That is a big difference.
Good luck.

I think most Cat fans will begrudgingly agree. Hate you guys but have plenty of respect for you. The same can't be said about Richmond.

It is nice of Hawthorn to finally be almost relevant again so that these games can be meaningful.

We just keep on being in the mix year after year while they decide to play the old tankeroo and piss on their fans.

No pride, no respect for their fans.

Let’s smash those bottom dwellers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good reasons Cats and Hawks are Arch Enemies
Rivalry dating before being nemesis of 2 Grand finals
Long history of ending Cats final hopes here at KP.
They would love nothing more than repeat history

Hawks are in good form. Winning 7 of last 8 games.
Only blemish a 1 point loss to Power in Adelaide.
Today's game will be a genuine test for Cat Kittens.
Hawks may try unsettle Kittens with Unsociable Footy

Game will be decided by controlling the corridor.
Cats must slow Hawks fast rebound game to win.
Holding ball in F50 allowing time to set zone is key.
Cats managed this v Don's and gained momentum
Big focus will be the performance of the Kittens
Can Neale Knevitt Humphries back up their effort?
Will Hawks v Cats rivalry be instilled and displayed?
Cats regaining form and winning would be satisfying
Watching Kittens improving and learning is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back