CC's Draft Prospectus 2008 - Top 30

Remove this Banner Ad

i reckon you've gone too far towards what the clubs need on some picks. most of the top 10 will go on best available, not so much whether a particular side needs a forward, defender etc.

but a top effort to do the work to put it together. and i like people who go with a few bolters - add's some individuality to a lot of otherwise similar threads.

I disagree if a club needs a ruckman say they are not going to go out and get a midfielder !! & then trades need to be taken into consideration ?!

It's a gr8 effort, keep posting and i'll keep reading :thumbsu:

I agree Rockcliff will be an absolute gun. I don't understand why you have him as low as 28. I rate him on par with Zaharakis, and I think you even have him too low.

I like both, but I have Zaharakis ranked significantly higher than Rockcliff.

Yeh, I could have.

Basically what I've done is about 50% where I rank these players (it's not my top 30 though, a few players would be in different spots if it was), 40% what I think clubs will need and 10% what I think clubs will do.

I don't agree with all of your selections, but i think you're going about your selections the right way.:thumbsu:

You can't just assume clubs will take best available, because they don't. To me it's just a line that recruiters use when asked who they're going to take. Yes the clubs with the first few picks usually take best available, because they usually have deficencies all over the park, that's why they have low draft picks.

But you can't tell me that if the best available player is a key forward that hawthorn would still take them this year. Unless they trade they'll have 4 key forwards under 22 as well as Boyle who is under 25. They've got too many at the moment, another would just be stupid.

I could definitely see Yarran slipping to the priority picks or early second round. Very similar type to Leroy Jetta with similar question marks over size and ability to move into the midfield etc.

Although, perhaps if Jetta continues his form of recent weeks Yarran's stock could rise.

Do not agree with Essendon's picks- Hartlett or Ziebell should be the one for us ahead of Sidebottom for our first rounder. I'd love Swift at our 2nd rounder but I can see Geelong taking a risk with Swift at 16.

• Fremantle – Daniel Rich
Freo will take the local boy if Naita is gone, however, if Naita is still here, then don’t be too surprised to see Rich slide as far as the Kangaroos pick.

• Fremantle – Chris Yarran
I’m not sold on Chris, infact, I probably wouldn’t even touch him personally till about the 3rd or 4th round, but Freo probably will.

• Fremantle – Jordan Lisle
Freo have taken 2 smalls and its time to get some height into the side. Lisle is one of the most flexible tall’s in the draft. Can play pretty much anywhere. Reads the ball brilliantly IMO, and will be a very serviceable footballer.

that would almost be too good to be true

Do not agree with Essendon's picks- Hartlett or Ziebell should be the one for us ahead of Sidebottom for our first rounder. I'd love Swift at our 2nd rounder but I can see Geelong taking a risk with Swift at 16.
Especially if they lose Prismall at the end of the season? Might be in the market for another footy acumulator through the middle as backup.

Especially if they lose Prismall at the end of the season? Might be in the market for another footy acumulator through the middle as backup.

Yep and to be honest Geelong's list is so good that they can afford to take risks. I actually would not mind Swift at Essendon with our first pick, I rate him that highly. He has Joel Selwood written all over him- recruiters hesitant due to injuries, etc

Sidebottom is a better kick than both IMO, and I reckon will end up a more damaging player, given the work he can do as a clearance winner.

Yep and to be honest Geelong's list is so good that they can afford to take risks. I actually would not mind Swift at Essendon with our first pick, I rate him that highly. He has Joel Selwood written all over him- recruiters hesitant due to injuries, etc
I think we're in a fortunate position as essendon supporters. We've had a remarkable success rate through the 2005 and 2006 drafts and its looking pretty solid for 2007 also, I no longer feel nervous prior to draft day :)

Sidebottom is a better kick than both IMO, and I reckon will end up a more damaging player, given the work he can do as a clearance winner.

Hartlett has a potentially bigger engine, and I do feel he is what Essendon need. We don't really need clearance winners (we have Hocking and Watson), we need mids that find the pill and use the ball. I just think the all round package of Hartlett and Ziebell is better than Sidebottom.

I think we're in a fortunate position as essendon supporters. We've had a remarkable success rate through the 2005 and 2006 drafts and its looking pretty solid for 2007 also, I no longer feel nervous prior to draft day :)

Well I am more confident these days rather than in 2000-2001 (that is where we stuffed up by taking has beens). The more I hear it the more I think Hartlett if available will be Essendon's first pick, I actually am leaning towards Hurley but Port may feel he is too good to pass on (hope Port goes local-Hartlett)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• West Coast – Nick Naitanui
West Coast will be delighted to see Nick here, and should pick him up. West Coast could surprise with a player like Hurley, Hartlett or even McKernan, but they won’t take Rich – they have question marks over his work ethic.

just re-read that. how confident are you of this? do you think his work ethic is that big of an issue?

I don't see a lot of similarities besides the injuries.

If the injury is the similarity you are referring to, for every selwood or judd there's a dowler or a nick smith. The jury is still out on dowler, but i'm sure you get my point

I like what you are thinking with Melbourne, we know or at least are pretty sure that Jack will nominate meaning he is Melbournes. Then Lewis Johnson is my favourite player from the draft am i desprately hope that we can get him with our PP. Havent seen much of Mitch but he is all the talk so sounds like a midfielder who can compliment our young midfield. I see us then going for some small backmen/ midfields because our small backs are a weakness. Will be very happy if we can lure Warnock as well

Top job CC. :thumbsu:

I like your bolters and sliders. Don't necessarily agree with all of them, but at least you've put together something refreshingly independent (sneaking Butcher in - that's independent! :p). I've heard some rumblings that West Coast are super hot on Rich though. I reckon he's the man they need too.

Maverick Weller – The 16-year-old won 15 disposals – not looking out of place. He looks very composed, uses the ball well and makes good decisions. I'm really looking forward to watching him play in Queensland in a few weeks' time, when the under 16 championships are on. He played under 16s as a bottom-age player last year, so I think these two under 18 matches will help him in the bigger picture. -- Source - Afl.com.au

Interesting Mav's name be raised.

Has star quality - play seniors at Burnie, has played U16's and now U18's and looks the goods to be an AFL player in the future.

One to keep an eye on for sure.

nice work CC! I like a lot of your picks and think you may be a lot closer come draft day then people think. For Essendon i hope we get Hurley, but i agree that sidebottom would be the best for us if we cant get him! great read mate :thumbsu:

Nice work mate. I would like to think we'll get a priority pick but I'm pretty sure we won't (just a feeling and Harvey isn't cluey enough to tank subtlely).

Interesting what you are saying about WC's opinion of Rich. Everything I've read says they love him (but personally I'm just rehashing stuff otherpeople have said/read).

Remove this Banner Ad

CC's Draft Prospectus 2008 - Top 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back