Analysis Centre Bounce/Wing Attendance Megathread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the Swans game yesterday for the first time.
First thoughts were that Bailey looked better on the wing than he has been as a fwd/mid.
He had 14 wing attendances and i think the more open spaces of the wing takes away his desire to try and break tackles when forward & midfield. A lot more players around the ball in those positions.

Going back through this thread he has not appeared much on the wing. In regard to CBA's setups.
R11, he had 10 attendances and R0 5, the rest either 0 or very low number. Unless i missed something.
Maybe give him a few weeks in that wing rotation position and see if that helps elevate his form back to his previous years output.
He would have spent some time mid/fwd during the game so still involved in some rotations.

He spent 81% TOG being his 2nd highest this year behind the 86% in R1 v Dockers.

Good luck doing this weeks figures if you have the same FTA feed i watched.
For some unknown reason they took shots from the CHF/CHB angle. A diamond view if you like.
Wingers could not be seen in some of the shots. Also hard to see who was in the middle.
Have fun.

Good luck doing this weeks figures if you have the same FTA feed i watched.
For some unknown reason they took shots from the CHF/CHB angle. A diamond view if you like.
Wingers could not be seen in some of the shots. Also hard to see who was in the middle.
Have fun.
Oh yeah, I remember now that you mention it. Nice to have a challenge occasionally, I guess...

Well, luckily they only used that three-quarter shot four times and in most of those times they started from a long shot before zooming in so I didn't have to be too much of a detective to work out our wingers.

Cal and Zac switching jobs is probably the main takeaway this week.

WA 2024 - Round 20.png
CBA 2024 - Round 20.png

It's very interesting after his great run of form there we have pushed Berry back to the wing. Clearly rate Ashcroft a better prospect in there to win the footy.
I think also Berry is significantly better at the wing role. Id say at the moment its 50/50 who is better on the inside, but we do lose a lot when Berry isn't on the wing. None of the others do as much defensive running that he does

It's very interesting after his great run of form there we have pushed Berry back to the wing. Clearly rate Ashcroft a better prospect in there to win the footy.

It's a nice little card up our sleeve come finals when we need hardened bigger bodies to go through the middle. We can pull the Berry tagging through the middle card anytime but giving him consistent time now (say a quarter for example) will keep his skills on point as well.

It's a nice little card up our sleeve come finals when we need hardened bigger bodies to go through the middle. We can pull the Berry tagging through the middle card anytime but giving him consistent time now (say a quarter for example) will keep his skills on point as well.
Pretty sure he sat on Andersen at stoppages around the ground on the weekend.
No centre bounces but was at stoppage for the best part of the day, so still keeping his inside work on point for when required.

Pretty sure he sat on Andersen at stoppages around the ground on the weekend.
No centre bounces but was at stoppage for the best part of the day, so still keeping his inside work on point for when required.
I didn't notice this too much but had a few drinks by the time I watched the game. I guess Berry wasn't a huge game winner when it came to center clearances anyways, especially not compared to Ashcroft / McCluggage.

I've liked our midfield mix overall the last few weeks, most led by Rayner and McCluggages good runs of form. It's adding the depth around Neale / Dunkley that we need to go deep, having some others that are proven pinch hitters in there like Berry and Ashcroft (on current form) is the balance we have been missing to go all the way.

As a quick note (last 4 games):
McCluggage: 24.5disp 1.25goal 3.25clear 4tack
Rayner: 17.5dis 2.25goals 3.25clear 4.5tack

If those two guys can keep up those kind of numbers I see us going all the way for sure.

It was a little strange that Cal replaced Bailey on the wing as Bailey played quite well the previous week.
It may have been a plan to have Cal drop back more to help out in our depleted defense.
I suppose Cal is a better defense player than Bailey.
Be interesting to see what happens v Saints.

Berry interesting in that he had a massive (for him) 737 meters gained for the match.
His average this year is 326 then previous years being 287, 178, 238, 309, 250 & 174

I still think Jarrod Berry was more valuable re our overall structure when playing as a predominant contested inside mid, was in sublime form when it that role pre Will Ashcroft coming back in.

At least we have a proven performer to go to if we are struggling in the inside mid positions in a final/GF.

Chris Fagan is really building a side with great flexibility if plans A and B aren't getting the job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think Jarrod Berry was more valuable re our overall structure when playing as a predominant contested inside mid, was in sublime form when it that role pre Will Ashcroft coming back in.

At least we have a proven performer to go to if we are struggling in the inside mid positions in a final/GF.

Chris Fagan is really building a side with great flexibility if plans A and B aren't getting the job done.
Yep and that included our best wins didn't it, v port and dogs?

I agree he should be getting at least some time through there. keep in form with it. it is a very different role.

i guess the upside is his shoulder is getting protected

Clug has been too good in the middle to give up on ball time to Bez

He's still been finding plenty of the footy and even winning a few clearances

It is such a luxury to have someone so good at winning contested footy on the wing. He's still very disciplined in his defensive running, but impacts most contests he's involved in.

Zac and Cal switch roles again although Zac shifts forward after Charlie is subbed in the last and Reville takes up his wing time.

CBAs are a little more interesting as Oscar has more of a chop-out in the ruck by Smith than he traditionally gets from Joe, while Joe plays fully forward. Hugh has some reduced CBAs while Ashcroft gets more opportunities there than he has so far this season.

WA 2024 - Round 21.png
CBA 2024 - Round 21.png

Zac and Cal switch roles again although Zac shifts forward after Charlie is subbed in the last and Reville takes up his wing time.

CBAs are a little more interesting as Oscar has more of a chop-out in the ruck by Smith than he traditionally gets from Joe, while Joe plays fully forward. Hugh has some reduced CBAs while Ashcroft gets more opportunities there than he has so far this season.

View attachment 2070939
View attachment 2070940
Smith won clearances himself in 3 out of 8 CBA. Nice.

Last four attendances in the fourth quarter were interesting with Wilmot having two and then Prior having the last two. I'm not sure what restructuring happened to cause that.

Also down with the "goal to goal" camera shot!

WA 2024 - Round 22.png
CBA 2024 - Round 22.png

Last four attendances in the fourth quarter were interesting with Wilmot having two and then Prior having the last two. I'm not sure what restructuring happened to cause that.

Also down with the "goal to goal" camera shot!

View attachment 2080521
View attachment 2080522
I call it "picking 8 defenders" 🤦

Glad we have seen the error in our ways for tomorrow.

I call it "picking 8 defenders" 🤦

Glad we have seen the error in our ways for tomorrow.
It was on the wings where we were comprehensively beaten in the Grand Final last year.
They held their width so well and our boys got sucked in.
Hopefully we can hold our width in this game so they don’t have the easy outlet.

To be fair one was the sub.
Going on memory (not always wise) our subs have been small defenders, small forward/mid types and an occasional tall.
Its not exactly our strength in picking subs that can impact in a lot of different roles. Bruce is probably one of the best options in he can be thrown into multiple roles as the game requires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Centre Bounce/Wing Attendance Megathread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back