Traded Chad Wingard [traded with future 3rd to Hawthorn for Burton, #15, #35 and future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as we can tell teams are showing a lot of interest and Port are testing whether he wants to stay long term or if he is going to leave in free agency.

I think from now on teams are going to do this with all free agents who haven't yet extended their contracts. Teams are just not gonna accept getting pick 19 for players like gaff and Franklin etc.
So that would mean that:
- Port, if trading Wingard out, would want more than whatever compo pick they would likely get next year. (you're suggesting a pick immediately after your first next year won't be enough).
- Port aren't confident that he'll stay next year
- Port haven't been able to get him to sign a contract extension

Most of that sounds like Port don't have much bargaining power.
The main power they have is that teams are showing a lot of interest. A bidding war between competing clubs would be the thing they would try and create.

So I guess the proof will be in the pudding. If Wingard nominates a club early then Port's negotiating power takes a steep dive and we'll see a reversion to the '2 picks or PSD' bullcrap we saw from GC last year and any other club that finds themselves in this position but ultimately caves in.

He is The Chad. Stuff of legend.

Almost hoping everyone nominates Hawthorn just to see how they get it done...May, Shiel, the Chad..
We've got a pretty clear method:
- Offer a first round draft pick
- Offer a bunch of fringe 22 players
- When they're all deinied, say "well we tried"
- Get St Kilda involved in a pick swap
- Finalise trade as first round pick + second round + third round + 4th round in exchagne for player + second round, + St Kilda's future second, + third round and future 4th.

As far as we can tell teams are showing a lot of interest and Port are testing whether he wants to stay long term or if he is going to leave in free agency.

I think from now on teams are going to do this with all free agents who haven't yet extended their contracts. Teams are just not gonna accept getting pick 19 for players like gaff and Franklin etc.
I still dont really think hes gonna go anywhere..

Whats he rumoured to have been offered?... $800k??.. thats still short of the 1 million price he and his manager pit on his head (unrealistic as it was).

Then he goes to melbourne a week or so ago to hold discussions with his manager and other clubs and flies back into adelaide.. takes a photo of AO from the plane as hes coming in to land and intreguingly posts it to his instagram page...

And what does pick 6 get port?... luko?.. nup.. rankine?.. nup... rozee?.. maybe but still unlikely. I think all 3 will need a top 5 pick... They would still need to chuck extra in to get one of the big three sa lads.

Pushing out one of your best players in the hope of getting one of these three lads and still not being guaranteed to pull it off is utter madness. And even if they did manage it theres no guarantee that player even turns out being as good as wingard and its actually a certainty they wont be as good as wingard next year.

Better off keeping wingard... if he goes next year it will be for a massive deal of $800 plus.. they match it and force a trade and get two first rounders or they let him walk and get band one compo.

Theyll have the coin to match next year.

- Finalise trade as first round pick + second round + third round + 4th round in exchagne for player + second round, + St Kilda's future second, + third round and future 4th.
How often do these wild BF trade suggestions actually happen in real life?...

Hang on - come to think of it, there's got to be more than that.

If a bunch of clubs were chasing Breust or Gunston for example, I can't imagine the hawks testing the market for his commitment. They'd knuckle down and get a contract extension or take the opposite view and get busy on a trade scenario. A public loyalty test is a very weird move. Pretty bad one I would think, with only really one outcome: pushing the player out the door.

Hang on - come to think of it, there's got to be more than that.

If a bunch of clubs were chasing Breust or Gunston for example, I can't imagine the hawks testing the market for his commitment. They'd knuckle down and get a contract extension or take the opposite view and get busy on a trade scenario. A public loyalty test is a very weird move. Pretty bad one I would think, with only really one outcome: pushing the player out the door.
Yep, doesn’t make sense to me.

Yeah but tbat formula only works on clubs whose president has a kok in their name...so all good full steam ahead.

Actually think the Saints may well get involved as their pick guarantees a decent SA draftee. Plus Saint need some currency for Hannas and some live picks before 50.

Could see the Dogs or Hawks doing a deal to upgrade to P4 and ontrade for the Chad. P4 would almost be enough for Port you'd reckon.

Yeah but tbat formula only works on clubs whose president has a kok in their name...so all good full steam ahead.

Actually think the Saints may well get involved as their pick guarantees a decent SA draftee. Plus Saint need some currency for Hannas and some live picks before 50.

Could see the Dogs or Hawks doing a deal to upgrade to P4 and ontrade for the Chad. P4 would almost be enough for Port you'd reckon.
Pick 4? For Wingard?

In Ports dreams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have played their cards. They have openly said no one is off the table and will aggressively try to improve their list. This is a great move, for their fans. Not all players appreciate it.

Chad Wingard is a top 10 player at any club. A top ten player trade requires a top 10 pick or a top 18 pick plus a bonus.
He is not a Top 3 player at most clubs and as such if Port want more than the above they should hold in to him.
Problem is once you've floated a guy they don't come back, bit like a balloon at the show.
Pick 19 and 29 to GC would get it done.

Pick 4? For Wingard?

In Ports dreams.

Easily worth it. If you have any, have a think about what you'd want for a fit 25 yr old dual AA contracted Hawks player.

P4 only offers the chance of a Wingard. And not a good one, could easily end up with an O'Rourke. You arent alone, BF seems to massively overrate draft picks IMO (lucky for Hawks' fans Wright doesn't)

Dogs: IN Wingard, Pick 42, Pick 57. OUT: Pick 6, Pick 20 (dahl compo)

Port: IN Pick 4 OUT: Wingard, Pick 42

Saints: IN: Pick 6, Hannerbury OUT: Pick 4, Pick 57

Sydney: IN: Pick 20 OUT: Hannerbury
Dahlhaus compo won't be pick 20. Our offer is under 2 mil for 4 years which isn't enough for band 1 compo.

Dogs: IN Wingard, Pick 42, Pick 57. OUT: Pick 6, Pick 20 (dahl compo)

Port: IN Pick 4 OUT: Wingard, Pick 42

Saints: IN: Pick 6, Hannerbury OUT: Pick 4, Pick 57

Sydney: IN: Pick 20 OUT: Hannerbury
Picks 6 and 20 are a lot to give up for Wingard. No doubt it would please Port but if I’m the dogs i don’t do this deal.

Dahlhaus compo won't be pick 20. Our offer is under 2 mil for 4 years which isn't enough for band 1 compo.
Do you not understand how compensation works? If it were band 1, it would be pick 8. 500k a year for 4 years is easily band 2.

Picks 6 and 20 are a lot to give up for Wingard. No doubt it would please Port but if I’m the dogs i don’t do this deal.
Still a better deal than what you paid for O'Meara.

Do you not understand how compensation works? If it were band 1, it would be pick 8. 500k a year for 4 years is easily band 2.

I do. You won't receive an end of rd 1 compo pick for Dahlhaus. Motlop is getting 600k a season at Port and that was on the brink.

Your an antsy little guy aren’t you. Not here to argue like 10 year olds, I just think the dogs would be giving up too much that’s all. If he nominates the dogs then so be it, I reckon your pick 6 should be more than enough to get it done.

I do. You won't receive an end of rd 1 compo pick for Dahlhaus. Motlop is getting 600k a season at Port and that was on the brink.
How do you know it was on the brink? You don't know the AFL's system. Frawley got a little bit more than 600k and he got band 1.

Your an antsy little guy aren’t you. Not here to argue like 10 year olds, I just think the dogs would be giving up too much that’s all. If he nominates the dogs then so be it, I reckon your pick 6 should be more than enough to get it done.
I'm simply stating it would be a better deal than what your team paid for O'Meara. Is there a problem with that?

How do you know it was on the brink? You don't know the AFL's system. Frawley got a little bit more than 600k and he got band 1.

I'm simply stating it would be a better deal than what your team paid for O'Meara. Is there a problem with that?
The high level of compensation has come as a bit of a shock, with most onlookers thinking that the Cats would receive a second round pick.

And Frawley's wage was before the new pay increases.

And Frawley's wage was before the new pay increases.
Is some quote from an unnamed, unsourced opinion piece meant to prove anything I say wrong? Again, you have no idea of how the AFL decides compensation picks, nobody besides the AFL does.

Pay increases haven't conclusively changed anything yet.

Is some quote from an unnamed, unsourced opinion piece meant to prove anything I say wrong? Again, you have no idea of how the AFL decides compensation picks, nobody besides the AFL does.

Pay increases haven't conclusively changed anything yet.
You're not getting an end of round 1 pick mate. You'll get the same as West Coast got for Selwood which, based on his wage, is around the same we've offered Dahlhaus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Chad Wingard [traded with future 3rd to Hawthorn for Burton, #15, #35 and future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back