Unofficial Preview Changes and noradrenaline requirements for Geel V Lions Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they think for a second that his week will be easy then it’s already lost.

We’ve just seen what this team when clicking and playing well can do. It’s all before them and us.

Seeing that last 1/4 we can we win the whole thing - based on talent and ability.

Whether their heads and hearts are committed enough to do it for another 9 games remains to be seen.

And the issues we have are not fixed or gone - it if we play every 1/4 like the last we’ll be bloody hard to knock off

Go Catters

It’s not all or nothing. Nobody does man on man anymore for the reasons Fred stated but guarding 3 blades of grass is nonsense too. Zone has to be dynamic.
Exactly, players can't just go into and stay in their slotted zoning position like automata, they need to stay focussed on the purposes of zoning off and move forward/back/sideways accordingly to achieve those purposes.
They need to slow down the opposition attack so we have time to get plus one or more in the D50.
They have to force as many short or lateral kicks as possible and increase the chances of a stuff-up.
And if all else fails they have to force the opposition to make their I50 entries as wide, shallow and undirected/unpurposeful as possible so that (a) the intercept skills of Blicavs/Stewart/Henderson/Taylor/Henry have full play and (b) I50 opposition shots on goal from marks or ground balls are more difficult.

Geelong should start the game with plenty of momentum after that final Qtr against the Dees. Hopefully this means we are in front of Brisbane at qtr time. If we are will be hard to run down. Every game is a danger game for Geelong. Bring Taylor back if fit ( hard to believe this guy copping the criticism from Geelong Supporters on this forum he gets). Keep Narkle in. That left foot pass down the wing was pure class in that last qtr. Bottom 6 still underperforming although I will say a couple of them alternate in and out of this group. No mention of Bews hahhahhhahalollolhaha he has been better the last few weeks and did a couple of very nice things in the last qtr. One caveat for me against Lions...if we don't get off to a good start WATCH out.

If they think for a second that his week will be easy then it’s already lost.
I don't for a minute believe that this would be their mind set.

And winning the game, but dropping out of the 8, will be a very clear message that we not only need to win, we need to win big.

Assuming Taylor not fit, then no change.

Pick and stick for the last 5 games. Taylor replaces Henry (unlucky) when he is fit.

While Narkle, Jones and Cunico are not world beaters, let the 22 build cohesion.

Smith, Thurlow, Simpson, Murdoch, Constable - backup for injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Home game is a tick for us. Lions playing good footy recently and look like a team on the build. They have nothing to lose, we have everything. If we were in a better position on the ladder this might've been a game used to give a few players a rest, not now. We have to win every game now as it looks increasingly possible a team with 13 wins won't make the eight, the first time in AFL history if it happens.

The only player who might be worried about his place is Jack Henry, but I heard Mitch Duncan say on radio this morning the club sees Jack as Blicavs replacement as the everywhere man in the side now Mark has made FB his own. I didn't think Henderson played that well last week, but he needs gametime to build form, like Menzel. Would love to see Jack clunk a few marks and lay more tackles up forward as we've seen him do down back.

Scooter & Guthrie not playing well. I think scooter might be done.

It's great we have a team there's real competition for spots at the moment though The Cats should win this game.

Last edited:
wouldn't mind it but no point torturing yourself guys. Guthrie is not coming out, even if he deserves to.

You're probably right.

Chris Scott has a talent hierarchy, if you're high enough, you don't get dropped. Intent, work rate, effectiveness are all negotiables for these players (Motlop another fine example). Not the fringe. Hence the club has the culture it does.

We have to be ready for the finals (assume we make it), so stick with the current team. The bottom 6 did ok on sat night except for cunino and JJ. Still prefer no change though

Can't take Guth out as no one better to replace him obviously. But as a near 26yo with 135 games played he is not doing well enough.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Why? Played behind the ball on Saturday. Wouldn’t say he lost his matchup.

The most satisfying thing for me last night wasn't necessarily our win, It was this comment from Scott post game.

"If we could bottle how we played in that last quarter we'll be very hard to beat."

Maybe now he'll start to realise that man on man across the ground suits this team better than playing a zone.

I'm glad that you're satisfied with this comment, however, you have a very strange understanding of coaching if your post is alluding to the fact that CS is just able to realise this after he watched the fourth quarter... as if he is in a similar situation to supporters who watch the game play by play from the stands or the couch.

Just to be clear - he 'realises', understands and is aware of a lot more about the team than a supporter is.

We had significant dominance in possessions, contested possessions and clearances in that last quarter. There was no need to have a defensive zone as we actually had the ball. In this case, the man on man that you are seeing is Melbourne's method of trying to cope with the situation at hand. There was no Geelong switch to man on man play. Rather, Geelong held it's zone and space when Melbourne had the ball. When we had the ball, because we were so dominant, Melbourne got spooked and played man on man and lost their structure, allowing Geelong players to be in advantageous positions to influence play.

Let's not read to much into press-conference comments, most are just superficial answers - and this one was as obvious as they come. "If the players play well, then we'll win". No s#it. It is just a very standard and obvious statement, it is not truly insightful or nor will it change the systems that the players have been coached to play.

If you listen to the players after the game, all they talk about is that they rely on a system and when they play to it for long enough, they win. It was not that they threw the pieces of the board up in the air and said "Play how you want boys", rather the players had confidence and belief in what they've been coached and trained to do, what they practise doing for most of the year. Then they got to work and did what they should have done the whole time. They played to their structures and game plan.

So no, they won't change to man on man play. They will continue to win games by using zoning.

You're probably right.

Chris Scott has a talent hierarchy, if you're high enough, you don't get dropped. Intent, work rate, effectiveness are all negotiables for these players (Motlop another fine example). Not the fringe. Hence the club has the culture it does.
It's nice to see that you've accepted the way things are. I look forward to seeing you rant less about Guthrie going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back