Unofficial Preview Changes and noradrenaline requirements for Geel V Lions Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm clearly not watching either then. Every game I've been to since round 3 or 4 it appears we have been playing an extra behind the ball. Which opposed to other opinions I think it has been excellent coaching given we were supposedly very undermanned down back early in the year.

Also makes Tom Hawkins' year even more meritorious.
We virtually always play 7 defenders, sometimes 8.
Depending upon the state and momentum of the game, we occasionally switch to 6 forwards and 6 defenders.
Just like the other 17 teams.

I don't think he was bad but you can't have a small forward with 3 tackles and 1 goal across two games. Narkle was pretty quite too but has a bit more upside.
Yeah I think that JJ needs to be dropped for this game. Hopefully Fog is ready to come back but if not, dare I say it... bring back Murdoch.

will be a fun game hopefully Walker plays on Hawkins

Doesn't really matter what changes we make Brisbane are no chance, too young and inexperienced. They will turn it over too much and we will win by 10 goals.

I'm hoping your team have the same attitude. Andrews could be an in and would play on Hawkins. Good bloke also a likely in

You do realise that they have just won about six games in a row?
Probably a different side that managed that as opposed to our ordinary side last week. No Cockatoo, Gregson or Fog. Jones, Cunico and Narkle in the ones. Cram and GHS injured. Menzel, Scooter and Hendo back. Apart from Thurlow if we have a non key position injury the cupboard is currently pretty bare.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can't read through every page, but why does Parfitt always escape criticism? He is consistently a turnover king. Horrible skills and weak. S Selwood has struggled with tags recently, and stuffed things up 2x late in the last against the Demons. Is he past it, or does he need more senior games?

Can't read through every page, but why does Parfitt always escape criticism? He is consistently a turnover king. Horrible skills and weak. S Selwood has struggled with tags recently, and stuffed things up 2x late in the last against the Demons. Is he past it, or does he need more senior games?
Parfitt is copping criticism, but your assessment is harsh.
Some months back he played a game that suggested he was in our best 6 players- he has ability, skill, and can tackle.
Whatever is wrong at present is not terminal.
You can lose form and confidence overnight, but not sheer ability, which he has.
He needs our patience.
Seriously, a class player.

Parfitt is copping criticism, but your assessment is harsh.
Some months back he played a game that suggested he was in our best 6 players- he has ability, skill, and can tackle.
Whatever is wrong at present is not terminal.
You can lose form and confidence overnight, but not sheer ability, which he has.
He needs our patience.
Seriously, a class player.

He has played 28 games. He is 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Parfitt criticism is insane. Second most score involvements behind Hawkins this week. His year has been extraordinary for a second year player.

No it hasn't. "Extraordinary for a second year player" = Clayton Oliver's 2017. Brandan's been nowhere near that level.

On balance Parfitt has had a decent 2018, but no better than that. Looked ready to explode development-wise early on but then got injured and his form has stagnated since his return.

Can't read through every page, but why does Parfitt always escape criticism? He is consistently a turnover king. Horrible skills and weak.
At 66, his DE% is about par for a second-level mid/forward who plays a lot of his time inside (especially a 2nd year 20-30 gamer), is better than that of Kelly, and is not far behind that of our 3 superstar midfielders.
His skills, far from being horrible, are an outstanding feature of his game.
He tackles as strongly and often as any of our small/medium mids/forwards.
In short, the reason he escapes criticism for the things you mention is that your criticisms are simply factually wrong.

The most satisfying thing for me last night wasn't necessarily our win, It was this comment from Scott post game.

"If we could bottle how we played in that last quarter we'll be very hard to beat."

Maybe now he'll start to realise that man on man across the ground suits this team better than playing a zone.
Agree - but don’t hold your breath...

Well that’s damning on our coaches then if the opposition is fitter.
Very few teams are fit enough to play man on man effectively for 4 quarters, and virtually none are fit enough to do it two full games running.
Which is why it happens so seldom.
In addition, if we tried to do it against a good team for any more than short periods, we would get absolutely killed by their transition from defence, because all the young players we have playing across and forward of centre have, as yet, neither the physical or mental strength (which interact, of course) to stop their bigger, stronger and more mature opponents for extended periods.

Very few teams are fit enough to play man on man effectively for 4 quarters, and virtually none are fit enough to do it two full games running.
Which is why it happens so seldom.
In addition, if we tried to do it against a good team for any more than short periods, we would get absolutely killed by their transition from defence, because all the young players we have playing across and forward of centre have, as yet, neither the physical or mental strength (which interact, of course) to stop their bigger, stronger and more mature opponents for extended periods.
Well standing 10mtr off your opponents like witches hats is't the answer either we are not quick enough across the ground for that and on the odd occasion we are we can't stick the tackle.I'll take my chances with a more accountable game plan thank you.Give me an old fashion shit fight over that rubbish.

Well standing 10mtr off your opponents like witches hats is't the answer either we are not quick enough across the ground for that and on the odd occasion we are we can't stick the tackle.I'll take my chances with a more accountable game plan thank you.Give me an old fashion shit fight over that rubbish.
It’s not all or nothing. Nobody does man on man anymore for the reasons Fred stated but guarding 3 blades of grass is nonsense too. Zone has to be dynamic.

It’s not all or nothing. Nobody does man on man anymore for the reasons Fred stated but guarding 3 blades of grass is nonsense too. Zone has to be dynamic.

We have reactionary players. Maybe that’s due to inexperience or lack of continuity but they don’t read the play well enough to make it a strength.
Clearly we setup to win the ball out of the contest which is what we did in the last and what we couldn’t do for the preceding 3 quarters.
That’s the key for us, win it in tight and keep hold of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back