Strategy Changes and Pre-match discussion (Freo 15/7, MCG 1.45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon we’ll play with Cox, Cameron, McStay and Frampton this week. Frampton is a defender so he can be a taller option down back. As good as Murphy is, his spot could be vulnerable as Frampton is bigger and more versatile. Throughout pre-season they would have trained for this.
I have Howe out before Murphy on last week’s form
Murphy and Howe competing for the same position

Hayden Young is also out for Freo. 🥳🥳🥳🥳

I mean injured players for the opposition help but I've never enjoyed it when anyone has celebrated the fact 😐
I agree with you, i don't understand why we are so happy about their outs, of course Serong and Young are good players but we should be beating them comfortably with or without their best team. Wouldn't mind playing port next week without Butters and Powell pepper though 🙂

So no Serong, apparently no Brennan Cox, a doubt on Jackson and whoever this Sturt is?

Tough run

Would make quite a victory if they pulled it off

Young, Cox and Serong are huge outs for them, and with Pearce also in a moonboot means he is carrying some sort of foot or leg injury. This could get messy for Freo on Saturday.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean injured players for the opposition help but I've never enjoyed it when anyone has celebrated the fact 😐
I'm not celebrating the fact that he's injured (assuming he is). I'm celebrating that things are falling Collingwood's way. God knows that's a rare occurrence.

So with the confirmed players we now have:
In: McStay, Maynard, Sidebottom
Out: WHE, Bianco (sub), ???

Frampton, or maybe Cameron out, depending on whether his side strain yesterday is anything significant?

Omissions are getting tougher and tougher.

We need to find out if he makes us better.

Time is running out to find our best structure.
With VFL bye this week and PA away next week....he needs to come in and play a block of games (regardless of form).
Good game to ease him back in with too, with Freo looking uncompetitive and an injury to their main key defender.

We have seven players in our squad who have averaged one goal per game over their careers - Mihochek, Ginnivan, Elliott, Johnson, DeGoey, Cox and Hill (not quite but close enough). Of these, the first four named have averaged at least 1.5 goals per game.

In order to maximise our chances of kicking winning scores, it makes logical sense to seek to include as many of those high scorers as possible.

It baffles me that so many in here seem to be happily advocating that we finish the season with most/all of Ginnivan, Johnson and Cox out of the side. They’re our 2nd, 4th and 6th most reliable scorers, respectively.

McStay, Cameron and Frampton won’t come close to replacing the goals we’d be losing by those omissions. So then we’d be relying on other players to score in Finals at rates well above their career averages. It’s flawed maths.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

While I'm supportive of Ginnivan, Cox and Johnson playing seniors, I'm not sure it's as simple as picking the guys with the best goal average. More about the sum of the whole for mine.

I don’t care about that anymore. Bulldogs fans were celebrating last week when Mihocek and Maynard were out so I’ll take players being out injured against us.

We need to find out if he makes us better.

Time is running out to find our best structure.
With VFL bye this week and PA away next week....he needs to come in and play a block of games (regardless of form).
Wasn’t aware that the VFL had a bye. Made the decision a no brainer l guess.

What is also important is that McStay and Mihocek get some synergy together. Shame that Mihocek is out this week.
David King says that improving up forward can add 3 goals a game to us.

Apparently Collingwood was the oldest 23 of all 18 afl teams in round 17

We might need to strike while the iron is hot before we fall off a cliff

Amazing how that stat skews so easily when you have a 35 year old and a 33 year old playing. Thankfully, it doesn't look like either Pendles or Howe are going anywhere soon. Sidey back will further skew the numbers.

Personally I think Howe is our weak link in defence and if frampton was to force his way into our backline, it would have to be at his expense. I genuinely can’t see that happening though, and quite frankly nor should it unless form demands it.

Can’t see frampton as a forward either, so he’s probably running out of options. Ideal depth though.
Why is Howe the weak link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back