Unofficial Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Gold Coast - Rd17 Saturday 6 July

Remove this Banner Ad

We should all be collectively embarrassed if it's below 20,000.

I am not sure why you are setting yourself up for angst here.

We have played them at the docklands stadium 4 times and not once have we broken 20k.

I think you need to realise that our membership is a national figure.

We’ve been told we have 8k members in WA.

We probably have half that in Tassie.

Our membership is also inflated with creative book keeping.

But everyone that can go Saturday has to go Saturday.
Family of four attending here and as we live rurally we only get to 1-2 games per year.

Hopefully the family can see their first win!

I think you need to realise that our membership is a national figure.

We’ve been told we have 8k members in WA.

We probably have half that in Tassie.

Our membership is also inflated with creative book keeping.

But everyone that can go Saturday has to go Saturday.

The membership number is a nonsense.

Every club's membership number is a nonsense.

Crowd numbers are also pretty stupid. Rarely if ever is there apples to apples comparisons.

Crowd figures should be looked at as a % of membership tallies if people want to actually compare them. IMO here is a more accurate way of saying whether a crowd is comparative:

St Kilda have a membership tally of 60329 They played Gold Coast at Docklands with a crowd of 17992

(17992/60329)x100 = 29.82%

North have a membership of 48024 a comparative crowd would be:

48024x29.82 = 14320

I would say this figure +/- 500 is comparative

When you look at it this way Richmond's game against Docklands last year incredibly poor. We would need a crowd of 11k to be worse than it.

My 23yo son just started working there so I'll be sure to ask him if this actually happened. We have spies everywhere.
I was joking but I was reading a book where Malcolm Blight took the Geelong players after a loss to Norlane Water world, I'm not sure if it's even still there, instead of slamming them on the track, took them there and it actually worked. They were acting like little kids in a lollie shop. Then they came out and thumped Essendon by about 9 goals. But, it was Malcolm. :)

Last edited:
Expect Sheezel to play predominantly in defense this week I reckon, based on that Zac Fisher news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was joking but I was reading a book where Malcolm Blight took the Geelong players after a loss to Norlane Water world, I'm not sure if it's even still there, instead of slamming them on the track, and it actually worked. They were acting like little kids in a lollie shop. Then they came out and thumped Essendon by about 9 goals. But, it was Malcolm. :)
I was joking too but I didn't know that about Malcolm. He was unique. I just wish he hadn't been the Adelaide coach in 1998. I also wish he was still on TV doing special comments. Far better than 90% of the guys doing that role now.

Mckercher will play half back. Straight back in by all reports.

We already tried McKercher in that role and it didn't work fantastically.

I'd much rather see him get a bit of freedom on a wing or HFF.

I was joking too but I didn't know that about Malcolm. He was unique. I just wish he hadn't been the Adelaide coach in 1998. I also wish he was still on TV doing special comments. Far better than 90% of the guys doing that role now.
A little eccentric but an obvious improvement on the journalistic crap and tokenism we're being subjected to now.

I often had the suspicion that Malcolm made things up just to get a response, hence the eccentric part. :)

I’d argue structurally you’re allowed more freedom as the sole attacking half back then as a half forward or wing as structurally they demand more.

Sheezel to half back is robbing Peter to pay Paul, and in this case you’re taking a lot more from Peter than you’re paying Paul.

The gap between Kerch and Sheez at HF is much wider than the gap between the two at HB right now.

McKercher may very well take Shiels spot once Fisher is back, but for now he should be playing half back - with one thing he brings that no one else can is his genuine line breaking ability to launch scores.

Because he was playing alongside another pure attacking half back which meant our back 6 was unbalanced. This will be the first time all year he plays with a settled back 6 and is the sole attacking half back. Better ball use then fisher I expect him to thrive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back