Prediction Changes and Pre Match Discussion vs Western Bulldogs R15 @Optus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, because Foley and Edwards played well last game. They didn't deserve to be dropped after playing well. Why does Sheppard and McGovern deserve to play when playing sh*t and young players playing well get shafted? If miss top 4 that could by why

Foley & HEdwards playing well is probably just an average game by Shep & Gov.
Shep and Gov playing well is a level Foley and HEdwards can't reach at this stage.

Really sad for H Edwards and Foley, they were critical in our win.

If it was up to me, I'd have McGovern and Sheppard having a game in the WAFL. This would tie into having too many 'underdone' players returning.

But what do I know. McGovern and Sheppard could be pivotal in this win.
Should we bring Vardy in and drop Nic, because Vardy played one OK game that time.

And drop JK, bring in Williams as he kicked a goal one time.

Very glad it is not up to you. Gov is a top 20 player in the comp, Shep is a recent AA and our best mid sized defender.

HEdwards and Foley had good games last week, but are nowhere near that level yet. To channel my inner Michael Christian *shudder* 'easiest decision the match committee ever made'

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should we bring Vardy in and drop Nic, because Vardy played one OK game that time.

And drop JK, bring in Williams as he kicked a goal one time.

Very glad it is not up to you. Gov is a top 20 player in the comp, Shep is a recent AA and our best mid sized defender.

HEdwards and Foley had good games last week, but are nowhere near that level yet. To channel my inner Michael Christian *shudder* 'easiest decision the match committee ever made'

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know it's irrational, just feel bad for them.

Anyway, great to have depth.

wow getting the calvary back is very exciting ..
My bench would be Rotham , Petro , Nelson and Ledwards ..Sub Langdon .. I had Jones in but Nelson could possibly be given a role on Bont or Libba ..

Vardy , Waterman and Jones report to the WAFL ..

One of the big disappointments I had with Mick Malthouse was he played ageing superstars just simply too long. This weekend is an opportunity to stand by and support some young guys who have stood up and done well. I think it is wise to consider our future. Giving games to previous great players simply because they are previous great players is not a great business strategy. I know this sentiment is not popular here but this weekend is a great opportunity to really nurture our next crop of superstars. I’m pretty impressed with a few and will be shattered if they have to follow Foley to the WAFL

And Harry Edwards. What did he do wrong? Couldn’t ask for a better effort last week. Will be interesting to watch McGovern with the Dogs. Hope he smashes their forwards and all you guys can beat up on my future thinking strategy and we win by more than I’ve predicted

If they dont play Naughton then I'm doubling down on my call of a 10 goal win. Bulldogs have only just beaten us away last two times (with the aid of dodgy goal review and Cripps being shithouse), we will smoke them at home (again).

Agree except it's a wet game. 1st could lose to 18th if the conditions are bad enough. I'm just happy to see Shuey, Yeo, and Kelly in the same side for the first time in forever (but I bet the Bulldogs aren't!).

One of the big disappointments I had with Mick Malthouse was he played ageing superstars just simply too long. This weekend is an opportunity to stand by and support some young guys who have stood up and done well. I think it is wise to consider our future. Giving games to previous great players simply because they are previous great players is not a great business strategy. I know this sentiment is not popular here but this weekend is a great opportunity to really nurture our next crop of superstars. I’m pretty impressed with a few and will be shattered if they have to follow Foley to the WAFL
And Harry Edwards. What did he do wrong? Couldn’t ask for a better effort last week. Will be interesting to watch McGovern with the Dogs. Hope he smashes their forwards and all you guys can beat up on my future thinking strategy and we win by more than I’ve predicted

They were all great but you don't shun greats of your club, who are still in form, to give games to kids when top 4 is on the line.

As Simmo famously once said "You don't want to go too far the other way..."

They'll get their turn but Shep, McGov, Kelly and Shuey's best are all better than the players they are replacing as of right now.

Agree except it's a wet game. 1st could lose to 18th if the conditions are bad enough. I'm just happy to see Shuey, Yeo, and Kelly in the same side for the first time in forever (but I bet the Bulldogs aren't!).
1st lost to Adelaide just a few weeks ago in good conditions so if you're just a little bit off and the other team is on fire then, any game is up for grabs.

They were all great but you don't shun greats of your club, who are still in form, to give games to kids when top 4 is on the line.

They'll get their turn but Shep, McGov, Kelly and Shuey's best are all better than the players they are replacing as of right now.
To be fair Simmo never actually said that, it was some scrub on the WAFL review show

Also gov isn't even 30 yet. Has had 2 injury impacted years and before that was AA 4 consecutive times. HEdwards will get his chance soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily. Forecast suggests the rain will come in the arvo, if it holds off until late arvo/evening then we might get away with a dry one. The amount of rain seems to have dropped by 10mm total at this stage, so we'll see what happens between now and Sunday.

I remember that glorious qualifying final against the Hawks in 2015. Rumours all day of Pridda being a late out came true and it was tipped to pour during the game, so I was very Pessimistic. We absolutely smashed them and it stayed dry until a minute after the final siren when it absolutely bucketed down.

Crazy levels of optimism that we we will roll straight over the dogs. Good ins, but its a tough ask this weekend. 8 point game

Admittedly there’s a couple of guys coming into the side a tad underdone, but with the exception of Rioli we have our best 30-35 players to choose from

The dogs come in missing Martin, Dunkley and Treloar

In round 2 without Shuey and Yeo we came within a bees dick of beating a full strength bulldogs side on their home deck

There’s cause for optimism (but not over confidence)

One of the big disappointments I had with Mick Malthouse was he played ageing superstars just simply too long. This weekend is an opportunity to stand by and support some young guys who have stood up and done well. I think it is wise to consider our future. Giving games to previous great players simply because they are previous great players is not a great business strategy.

For the life of me I can’t work out who you’re referring to. Our two oldest players were instrumental in the last win, one of them kicked the winning goal and the other took the game-saving mark, both of them capping off great games. Shuey was BOG in 58per cent game time in his only other game this year and provided a noticeable difference in the middle.

The only other 30 year olds in the side are NicNat, Redden and Shep, who turned 30 a month ago and is a reigning All Australian.

Who are the aging former stars we should be dropping this week?

It's pretty simple - replacing players who played well with players who are experienced but don't deserve to replace them on their most recent form.
This is a point that could probably go either way, and only from a mindset perspective. Clearly it’s better talent wise to be replacing rookies with All Australians but the way we’ve just punted some inform players for a handful of blokes with credits (and potentially a few being underdone) could breed a sense of complacency, as if we’ve already won this one at selection. There’s just something uneasy for me about replacing guys that have worked hard to be in the side with others that get a free ride straight back in at the first opportunity (for fair reasons you’d still have to say)

Obviously all these guys need to come back at some point but staggering it might have been a better option. Give Kelly and Gov another week off and slowly get the ball rolling again.

Shuey, Yeo and Kelly have played 8 games together and we haven’t had a pair of them playing in many games either so I’d expect a bit of rust in terms of chemistry between them all. So bringing them back one by one would potentially help it not impact us so much in a single game.

It’s done now though so I’m excited to see them all playing together for the first time in a long time.

This is a point that could probably go either way, and only from a mindset perspective. Clearly it’s better talent wise to be replacing rookies with All Australians but the way we’ve just punted some inform players for a handful of blokes with credits (and potentially a few being underdone) could breed a sense of complacency, as if we’ve already won this one at selection. There’s just something uneasy for me about replacing guys that have worked hard to be in the side with others that get a free ride straight back in at the first opportunity (for fair reasons you’d still have to say)

Obviously all these guys need to come back at some point but staggering it might have been a better option. Give Kelly and Gov another week off and slowly get the ball rolling again.

Shuey, Yeo and Kelly have played 8 games together and we haven’t had a pair of them playing in many games either so I’d expect a bit of rust in terms of chemistry between them all. So bringing them back one by one would potentially help it not impact us so much in a single game.

It’s done now though so I’m excited to see them all playing together for the first time in a long time.
It's pretty simple for me.
We're playing the 2nd side in the comp, not Norf, and we desperately need a win.

If Kelly and Gov are fit, they play.
It's not rocket science.

It's pretty simple for me.
We're playing the 2nd side in the comp, not Norf, and we desperately need a win.

If Kelly and Gov are fit, they play.
It's not rocket science.
all the talk is about bringing back 'experienced' players. It is more about more bringing back top shelf champions of the game.

Not necessarily. Forecast suggests the rain will come in the arvo, if it holds off until late arvo/evening then we might get away with a dry one. The amount of rain seems to have dropped by 10mm total at this stage, so we'll see what happens between now and Sunday.

I remember that glorious qualifying final against the Hawks in 2015. Rumours all day of Pridda being a late out came true and it was tipped to pour during the game, so I was very Pessimistic. We absolutely smashed them and it stayed dry until a minute after the final siren when it absolutely bucketed down.

Best game I've been to. Singing and celebrating in the pouring rain as Pridda ran down in his suit to join the boys was so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back