Unofficial Preview Changes/discussion Round 20, Pineapple Grapple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dlanod may know the answer to this but should the Lions take comfort and look to the Giants for beating the Suns given their Harris Andrews equivalent Sam Taylor also was an out against the Suns and got the job pretty easily?

I don’t know much about Giants other KPD but interested to know whether there are many similarities between us not having Andrews and them not having Taylor?
Not really - GC were away and had truly awful goal kicking. GWS probably won the midfield enough to win a normal game but GC got enough good quality shots to at least keep it close - they just missed time and again, even when given some bizarre free kicks in front of goal.

We've lost a lot of experience in backline now. If Fagan thinks conservative, he'll bring McKenna back for Brain. McKenna was managed and not injured so I expect him to slot back in, even though its not my preferred outcome. Let's see.
Chris Fagan was on AFL360 last night and when talking about our KPD dilemma said we might have to get a bit "creative" to cover Harris Andrews.

Thinking more about it and reading other views on here I have changed my opinion on it, I was for Hippy going back.

1- Leave our forward line as is apart from Logan Morris for Henry Smith... we should not weaken a strength by taking Hipwood out of that set up.

2- Just go smaller in defence and hope our up the ground pressure is at an elite level, Joyce on King, Lester on Walter and I think Starcevich can handle Lukosius... Prior in for Harris at 189cm he is taller than I imagined, he can go to Walter or Lukosius if Starc/Froggy matchups look like a problem.

3- If Witts gets up and they go with 2 rucks it could get problematic for us with both King and Moyle/Witts resting forward. In that case Oscar may have take the resting ruckman and Joe goes into the ruck.

We've lost a lot of experience in backline now. If Fagan thinks conservative, he'll bring McKenna back for Brain. McKenna was managed and not injured so I expect him to slot back in, even though its not my preferred outcome. Let's see.
Fagan singled out Brain for very specific praise in his pressa. I’d be shocked if he is going anywhere.

I get what you say re managed and I wouldn’t be shocked to see mckenna back somehow. We are missing experience but there’s enough back there. lester / zorko / starce as the older heads. Wilmot is a 50 gamer. Joyce and brain have very few games but are not 18. So if the 5th spot is say mckenna or prior, who is about to turn 23yo and has played 36 games, it might be an experience call. Certainly if it’s mckenna vs a first gamer I could imagine experience being the difference. But then i’d prefer Prior’s ability to cover a tallish forward over mckenna’s. Maybe he ends up wing - fletcher was pretty poor although good the week before.

I didn’t realise Bruce only had 2 touches. He is going cold as sub so surely needs a full game in the 1s or 2s. Maybe it’s 2s given he must be lacking a touch of fitness having played 2 quarters total in 2 weeks

Chris Fagan was on AFL360 last night and when talking about our KPD dilemma said we might have to get a bit "creative" to cover Harris Andrews.

Thinking more about it and reading other views on here I have changed my opinion on it, I was for Hippy going back.

1- Leave our forward line as is apart from Logan Morris for Henry Smith... we should not weaken a strength by taking Hipwood out of that set up.

2- Just go smaller in defence and hope our up the ground pressure is at an elite level, Joyce on King, Lester on Walter and I think Starcevich can handle Lukosius... Prior in for Harris at 189cm he is taller than I imagined, he can go to Walter or Lukosius if Starc/Froggy matchups look like a problem.

3- If Witts gets up and they go with 2 rucks it could get problematic for us with both King and Moyle/Witts resting forward. In that case Oscar may have take the resting ruckman and Joe goes into the ruck.
Thanks for the fagan hint.

Sounds like we don’t want to bring in say our 40th best player just because of how tall they are which makes sense.

As long as mid pressure is decent it’s always easier to spoil than mark.

King is the worry but Joyce is our best hope.

Walter is raw - he has 9 goals from 12 games. No goals in his past 5 games. He might not even be selected tbh.

Lukosius has 21 from 18 games this year, although 17 from his past 10. He is definitely some threat.

Actually seeing how raw Walter is, I wouldn't be against ZZ matching up on him. Its an easier game for both of them, so let's us give ZZ a little taste without a huge challenge.

Prior is more like but ZZ is probably a better option than shifting a forward back to start the game

I think this is a recipe for Lukosius kicking 6.

I'd play Berry in defense before Prior to be honest.
Berry is 192 and will have a decent motor to go with Walter or Lukosius.

Actually seeing how raw Walter is, I wouldn't be against ZZ matching up on him. Its an easier game for both of them, so let's us give ZZ a little taste without a huge challenge.

Prior is more like but ZZ is probably a better option than shifting a forward back to start the game

I like it.

I'd play Berry in defense before Prior to be honest.
Berry is 192 and will have a decent motor to go with Walter or Lukosius.
I don’t like it, but I am not against Berry going down back for 1 game.
We have enough cover on the wing for Berry to move out of there but would probably prefer Prior to come in and just play a lock down role on whoever he is given.
Reville to come back into the 22 and McKenna as Sub.
I think Henry Smith probably gets a reprieve for now but Morris could come back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not big on Prior getting a shot again even if he is the most experienced option. He’s had plenty of chances and been really disappointing most times, especially his last few chances, barely ran and gave up too easily. I’d prefer to go with Answerth if we are going with experience.

I would like Henry to hold his spot. He was drafted as a 17-year-old still growing into his body. The first two years were basically waiting for his body to finally mature, and he can concentrate on his footy development. Initial impressions were that Henry loved being aggressive at the contest did not shirk body contact and quite often he was spoken of as possessing "white line fever" traits.

He is not alone in having a less than memorable debut. Champions of the game have had equally non-distinct games. Retaining Henry in the 23 effectively would show that those that selected him in the first place have confidence that he can do better. This would do more for his development than dropping him to the seconds.
He was clearly very nervous and hesitant not wanting to make a mistake. I suspect fear of failure got the better of him. He will learn and long term we will rip the benefits.

I would hesitate to write anyone off and judge on a single performance. The good thing is he played in a winning team, and he will get better.

IMO with our KP tall predicament Henry stays.

I don’t like it, but I am not against Berry going down back for 1 game.
We have enough cover on the wing for Berry to move out of there but would probably prefer Prior to come in and just play a lock down role on whoever he is given.
Reville to come back into the 22 and McKenna as Sub.
I think Henry Smith probably gets a reprieve for now but Morris could come back in.
Anyone remember if Berry did a job last time? Or did he only start doing that post-bye?

Rowell and Anderson were definitely dampened last time - Rowell in particular only had 16 possessions.

I don't know how creative we need to be down back to cover King, Walter or Lukosious. I'm certainly not a fan of Hippy or another tall fwd moving down back and going smaller fwd. Why make it easier for Collins, Ballard, Mac Andrew. I've never been a fan of weakening a strength to strengthen a weakness. Gotta remember too that the Suns have a decent crop of sm and med fwds that will need covering.

The back 6, Lester, Joyce, Zorko, Wilmot, Starce n Brain will play. The question is who comes in to replace Andrews as 7th defender.

Prior has been mentioned, form has been good in the ressies and he's probably had to play taller recently with Joyce's promotion. He has been down the last cpl of times he's been given a shot in the firsts but his form suggests improvement.

Answerth is one game back from injury. If he pulled up well after that game and played reasonably, he is definitely a good option. You know you're going to get effort and determination from him.

McKenna was managed, not injured. He is just as likely to come back in. While that puts a bit more pressure on the backs defensively, it does improve our attack from the back half. It would however enhance the recent mantra of dancing on thin ice, take a risk, have a go.

I don't believe in manufacturing a tall defender out of a fwd or ruck. I'm happy with any of those 3 to come in. What I have noticed over the last 4 or 5 weeks is that Berry, Ah Chee have often been back to support the defense and even Joe has dropped back during the run of the game at times to help. Big O drops back to fill a hole as well. I think this support and a solid group of defenders can do the job for 1 week. Big changes and disruption aren't necessary. A big team effort is all that's needed to beat the Suns. I think we can do that.

Smith out for Morris, I think the extra mobility of Morris will be handy.

And one of the 3 mentioned to come in for Andrews.

I really want Bruuuce to get a full game. He is much more effective the longer he's on the field. His accurate kicking and solid tackling are missed. I'm playing Fletcher as sub. He has been up n down a bit lately but he has a greater ability to come on later in a game and have an influence.

No need to panic, no need to make drastic changes. A good game plan, some inside knowledge from Dew, a strong midfield performance and a big team effort will be enough to win.

Joyce has a broken jaw/ cheekbone. Insane our luck this year.

Lester is our last great hope.

Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back