Unofficial Preview Changes/discussion Round 20, Pineapple Grapple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fort isn't agile or quick enough to play that role imo. Also would have basically never played third tall so wouldn't really know how to position himself in the context properly.
Fort would have experience being in defence as a ruckman and floating across a pack to take a Contested mark.

In a crowded forward 50, having someone competent at marking over 200cm who at least is a decent possibility to take a contested mark is better than the alternatives we have imo.

I know he was a far better ruckman, but Ben McEvoy played down back in the last year or two of his career and was okay as that intercepts marking defender. He certainly wasn't very quick or mobile.

There are no great options to be fair.

If Joyce is out (just a terrible time for him because I think he probably had almost secured an extension for next year) as well as Andrews, I think move Berry back and bring in
Prior and Noah. I don’t like the idea of messing with the forward set up (assuming Morris replaces Smith).

We can replace Berry on the wing as we have the midfield strength. Prior to play on the new kid ( been very good in the vfl playing as an Undersized KPD, maybe his best run of form for a while) Berry to wear King like he did Oliver. Lester to play on Lukouis (whatever).

Looks terrible even as I write it, but I would prefer this arrangement as it maintains our strength in the mid-field and attack. Just hope the Suns key forwards continue to be wayward and we beat them in a shoot out.
whilst I can understand Berry playing back in some circumstances, and he does work hard to support the backline when playing wing, and even though I don't think King has that KPF killer competitive attitude (just yet), King with his size and athleticism will outmark Berry consistently if there is decent entries. He kicked at least 5 on Harris last year at the Goldie.

I would have Hippy back and Morris up forward, and simply our mids have to win

In the AFL article covering this news, Fish says Prior or Hipwood are the most likely replacements for Joyce:

Pick No.51 from last year's Telstra AFL Draft, Zane Zakostelsky, is the only other tall defender on the list, and after a disrupted start to his season, appears an unlikely debutant.
Jaxon Prior has played well in the VFL and could be considered, while the Lions are considering the very real possibility of throwing Eric Hipwood into defence to cover the shortfall.
Speaking prior to Tuesday morning's training session at Springfield, young half-back Darcy Wilmot said to some extent it didn't matter who came in.
"We've got really good depth in our side," Wilmot said. "Our backline plans don’t change, it's just the player that comes in, we trust to get their role done. As backs we do what we do all year and help and support as always. It'll be right."

Personally would get Beecken & McLaughlin (Morris and him can be 3rd tall) to play his 1st match and Prior & Answerth to return:

Answerth / Lester / Prior
Zorko / Starcevich / Wilmot
McCluggage / Berry / Ashcroft
Rayner / Hipwood / Bailey
Cameron / Daniher / Morris
McInerney / Neale / Dunkley
Ah Chee / Lohmann / Beecken / McLaughlin / Fletcher (sub)
Yes forgot about Beecken. Worth considering as an undersized key back. As I said in my comment all options don’t look that great.

Fort would have experience being in defence as a ruckman and floating across a pack to take a Contested mark.

In a crowded forward 50, having someone competent at marking over 200cm who at least is a decent possibility to take a contested mark is better than the alternatives we have imo.

I know he was a far better ruckman, but Ben McEvoy played down back in the last year or two of his career and was okay as that intercepts marking defender. He certainly wasn't very quick or mobile.

There are no great options to be fair.

Yeah fair points, and as you say no great options.

I do think Fort makes sense to come in - but on the assumption that we throw Eric back. If GC want to play both Witts and Moyle and rest one forward, we'll need two rucks and Joe will have to stay forward to keep their key backs honest.

Yes forgot about Beecken. Worth considering as an undersized key back. As I said in my comment all options don’t look that great.
Personally, would play Prior as the starting 3rd tall defender right now and Beecken to play Starcevich's role while the latter plays as a CHB for this Saturday.

McLaughlin and Morris can swap between forward / defence as the 3rd tall (when needed).

Wouldn't be risking Hipwood (at all) down back and ZZ isn't ready until Fages want to baptism him in the future.

The only other option is the Big O playing back and Fort or Smith in the ruck.

A.K.A - pray to the footy gods we don't have anymore key tall injuries this week and rest of the season.

I fractured my cheekbone in two places almost 12 months ago. Not displaced, so no surgery.

Was told 6 weeks for the bones to heal, and critical not to get another head knock necause surgery is min 3 months. Still waiting to see how many teeth are dead (at least one, possibly 3). Fingers crossed nerves are still healing

If it's not displaced, it's not as noticeable pain wise as other bones (the two arm fractures hurt way more). Took four days before I thought it might be a problem.

Hint - do not run flat out down Mt cootha trails in the dark in new shoes when you are pushing 60yo. Dumbest thing I've done in a long time..
Don't run, got it! Thanks!

Oh bugger it!

I'm gonna ring the Western Bulldogs to see if we can borrow the Rory Lobster for the weekend.

Desperate measures for desperate times!
A bloke virtually out the door at the dogs, and his third club (despite the coaches comments), gets a lifeline ( because of injury) and now extends his career by at least another couple of years. This would happened across the gamut of clubs, and as some of us know coaches do not always get it right....Ben Keays

whilst I can understand Berry playing back in some circumstances, and he does work hard to support the backline when playing wing, and even though I don't think King has that KPF killer competitive attitude (just yet), King with his size and athleticism will outmark Berry consistently if there is decent entries. He kicked at least 5 on Harris last year at the Goldie.

I would have Hippy back and Morris up forward, and simply our mids have to win

(“The best bad idea”

A bloke virtually out the door at the dogs, and his third club (despite the coaches comments), gets a lifeline ( because of injury) and now extends his career by at least another couple of years. This would happened across the gamut of clubs, and as some of us know coaches do not always get it right....Ben Keays
Gonna give Ben a visit today and see if he wants to have one more game in the Maroon, Blue and Gold ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to take a couple of days to digest the situation and come up with our best option.

Fwwiw I wouldn't be disrupting the things that are working for us unless absolutely necessary. Hipwood and Daniher can get back and support the backline from time to time. Likewise Ah Chee ,Lohman ,Berry, a couple of others.

Probably need someone warm and vertical with the height to cover for whatever contingencies are thrown up and that means Fort gets a game.

Probably need someone warm and vertical with the height to cover for whatever contingencies are thrown up and that means Fort gets a game.
Excited Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Personally, would play Prior as the starting 3rd tall defender right now and Beecken to play Starcevich's role while the latter plays as a CHB for this Saturday.

McLaughlin and Morris can swap between forward / defence as the 3rd tall (when needed).

Wouldn't be risking Hipwood (at all) down back and ZZ isn't ready until Fages want to baptism him in the future.

The only other option is the Big O playing back and Fort or Smith in the ruck.

A.K.A - pray to the footy gods we don't have anymore key tall injuries this week and rest of the season.
Suns have a strong mid field even with Miller out, if they were more accurate on their shots on goal they would have pushed GWS (which I have always rated this year after they killed us in Canberra), we need an athletic tall to go with King...and that is why Hippy who apparently played back as a junior might work.

Suns have a strong mid field even with Miller out, if they were more accurate on their shots on goal they would have pushed GWS (which I have always rated this year after they killed us in Canberra), we need an athletic tall to go with King...and that is why Hippy who apparently played back as a junior might work.
Agree on that but imagine the scenes if Hipwood gets injured from a D50 contest of some sorts long-term.

Over It Abandon Thread GIF

Serious question here, what would happen if we had 22 or less players healthy (come finals time this year)?

Obviously it's tongue in cheek that we would never lose again and win the premiership by default but makes me really wonder if we continue having a similar trajectory like this with LTIs, the AFL wouldn't let us forfeit our matches especially in finals, would they.

Maybe the club would randomly select members to be part of the 22, cause I'm 190cm, young and athletic - so pick me please Fages and I'm sure to never let you down ;)

Ask West Coast how 2023 went. IIRC there was one week when they had 24 players available or fully fit. When I heard I just thought how demoralising to be the one left out.

Ask West Coast how 2023 went. IIRC there was one week when they had 24 players available or fully fit. When I heard I just thought how demoralising to be the one left out.
Reminds me of primary school days level-stuff when teams were decided.

Difference with them though was the Eagles were (no offence) the worst AFL side I have ever seen and were no chance of making the finals at all while for us, we are 3rd and a good chance of making finals.

The AFL wouldn't just cancel finals given how much $$$$$ it brings them and the whole balance and structure would be flown out the window as a result so does this mean we no-one wins and it just becomes a lottery to decide the winner?

**** how I wish we had just held on against Carlton in round 1 and kicked an extra point against the Crows. Legit wouldn’t have cared if we sent the ressies down then for this one and written it off to avoid more injuries.

We would’ve had the gap we need but as it is and the precarious position we’re in we can’t afford to drop games.

It’s quite the pickle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back