Unofficial Preview Changes/discussion Round 20, Pineapple Grapple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, you say that as if there were guys we deemed AFL level coverage. I don't believe we did.
Also we probably only wanted to offer 6 months as list spots tight end of the year.
If we where a Vic club be a lot easier getting coverage for 6 months in case of fire break glass.
Getting someone to move to QLD and then be behind Joyce a lot to ask

Anyone know how many weeks Joyce will be out you assume 3-4 at least. If surgery be the season.
As whoever goes back might be there for the season?
I still think Rayner be good back there or Berry as both tough and big bodies.

On another note, I really like how everyone is trying to problem solve here on how to plan our defense without getting too cranky about how it'll affect ladder, finals, premiership etc.

Other boards would have gone nuclear by now on coach, medical team etc.

Backs to the wall teams have a very good record. Players get more focused on their role , teamwork gets the highest priority.

We should still win this game. The only issue is the excellent record the Suns have at home. No bigger problem than what it was before we copped the injuries.

Alright gather in here is the gameplan.

After the coin toss whichever way is chosen to kick to we setup the exact opposite. Make them panic and 666 infringe to start the match. We then spend the rest of the match coaxing 666 infringement frees. Kick ball i50. Lock it in. Rinse and repeat.

Anyone know how many weeks Joyce will be out you assume 3-4 at least. If surgery be the season.
Won't know until further scanning/assesment is done - per the club, but normally it's about a month. Lachie Jones and Seamus Mitchell have had the same injury in the past both were around a month to recover.

Joyce is probably done. Don't have high hopes for Payne either but we'll be doing all we can to get him going this year.

The issue for me is that we need a plan and the personnel to get us through the final few games. Not just this week. When Andrews comes back you can structure the rest around him but we need another tall in there against the big dogs.

King's goalkicking form going into last year's away fixture was diabolical, just as it is going into this one.

So last year, he clicked into form and tore us a new one. He started well and his confidence grew

Playing an undersized defender against him in this game is a recipe for him getting early confidence again . It's a big no-no for me

For this reason, I'm sending Hipwood back as his direct opponent. Hippy has the height, is very mobile and King isn't known for his defensive running if he doesn't mark it. As long as King isn't clunking big marks, I can see Hippy running off him and creating run of his own from the back half.

Fages has already signaled that we need to get creative and this is as creative as it gets.

There are multiple forward options available to us anyway.

Daniher, Rayner, Cameron, Morris, Lohmann, Bailey or even play one of Prior, Smith, Oscar or Dev up there.

We need a tall to play as a key position back and Eric makes the most sense IMO

Joyce is probably done. Don't have high hopes for Payne either but we'll be doing all we can to get him going this year.

The issue for me is that we need a plan and the personnel to get us through the final few games. Not just this week. When Andrews comes back you can structure the rest around him but we need another tall in there against the big dogs.
When Andrews returns I'd be happy to debut ZZ next to him. Fly by the pants for last few weeks and see what happens.

Won't know until further scanning/assesment is done - per the club, but normally it's about a month. Lachie Jones and Seamus Mitchell have had the same injury in the past both were around a month to recover.
yes thought so.
Everyone is we need coverage for this week
Who ever we send back might stay there until Payne/Joyce back around finals. If they come back.
Berry probably easier to replace on wing with say Sharp/Bruce getting a better run.
Still think Rayner be hard to out mark.

If you think you have to play a tall on King it has to be Hipwood or Fort.

Which means it's Hipwood.

Who knows, Hipwood could end up being an AA defender.

Wouldn't be the first time a forward has really blossomed when only having to run the one way. Harvey Merrigan ,Mal Michael, just off the top of my head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To win i think we have to post a good score with our usual forward structure and hope it is enough.
Maybe Fagan could put a call into Ross Lyon :)

Out Andrews in Prior 189cm. Maybe he has grown 1cm that will help.
Out Joyce in McKenna.
That keeps players that have been part of our defense structure.

They could use Berry and even Cam down back for periods.
Big O to be more aware of going back than drifting forward.

No way i would debut ZZ.
They could look at Beecken because of his marking ability but not sold on his defense yet.

1721729166771.png

We are on $1.69 to Suns $2.18. Market seems to back us inspite of zero tall defenders.
Crazy stuff.

Odds should be the other way around.

If we win with almost an entire backline out, it will be the stuff of legend.

Did you say legend? :think:

FiyMxTyaAAE6hmr.jpg:large

To win i think we have to post a good score with our usual forward structure and hope it is enough.
Maybe Fagan could put a call into Ross Lyon :)

Out Andrews in Prior 189cm. Maybe he has grown 1cm that will help.
Out Joyce in McKenna.
That keeps players that have been part of our defense structure.

They could use Berry and even Cam down back for periods.
Big O to be more aware of going back than drifting forward.

No way i would debut ZZ.
They could look at Beecken because of his marking ability but not sold on his defense yet.

View attachment 2056944
Beecken has to be a big chance to debut this week.

If you think you have to play a tall on King it has to be Hipwood or Fort.

Which means it's Hipwood.

Who knows, Hipwood could end up being an AA defender.

Wouldn't be the first time a forward has really blossomed when only having to run the one way. Harvey Merrigan ,Mal Michael, just off the top of my head.
Leppa, Chris Johnson, even Liam Jones.

Who knows, Hippy may have played his last game as a forward. Might have a blinder.

If my memory serves me correctly, Hippy was flagged as a key Defender and Harris as a key Forward in their draft year.

Release the Hip as a key back Fages.

You know you want to.

You could argue Lobb is giving the key defender role a fair crack and has been good down there the last month, although he wasn’t much chop forward anyway.

I’m intrigued by putting Eric back. My worry though with him compared to some of those other forwards who have swung back is he can’t mark above his head like they can. He will be a “spoil first” defender, which may be ok against King 1v1, but we still need to replace Harris’ intercept marking ability, which Eric won’t do.

We miss Kiddy even more now as he was another one who had started to show above average ability in that part of the game.

Out of this mini disaster comes a lot of interest as to how we go about it and who can step up in a different role.

So in one way I'm looking forward to it. It's not as if they're all that hot forward of centre . Plan A is to not let it get down there all that often. Plan B is whatever Plan B is which we shall see.

You could argue Lobb is giving the key defender role a fair crack and has been good down there the last month, although he wasn’t much chop forward anyway.

I’m intrigued by putting Eric back. My worry though with him compared to some of those other forwards who have swung back is he can’t mark above his head like they can. He will be a “spoil first” defender, which may be ok against King 1v1, but we still need to replace Harris’ intercept marking ability, which Eric won’t do.

We miss Kiddy even more now as he was another one who had started to show above average ability in that part of the game.
Brain was doing this pretty well against Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back