Unofficial Preview Changes/discussion Round 20, Pineapple Grapple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my memory serves me correctly, Hippy was flagged as a key Defender and Harris as a key Forward in their draft year.

Release the Hip as a key back Fages.

You know you want to.

Played predominately defense in the U18 champs (named in the U18 All-Australian in the back pocket) and was occasionally swung forward.

So defence is ****ed.
  • No talls
  • No Brain

Answorth goes in, switch Rayner back to play as a pho tall, then bring in Prior as another fake tall. Bring in Morris or Sharp for the forwards.

Mids will need to dominate this week.

My initial hope was we go small & run them off their feet, just hope to survive as much as we can on the other end in an open game... But after thinking it through I feel a slower game suits us for a number of reasons, and probably suits moving a few taller pieces down back.

Besides the obvious size vs size is usually the best antidote in defence, our ball movement is actually at its best when we control the game with our short kicking. Some of our best moments this year have been where we pick apart the opposition through high quantity marking through and around the middle. Therefore, it would be a drastic change to just fire up the handball game (which was a Fagan off season plan, that failed early).

Additionally, should we use smalls to make it a fast-paced game, that would mean more its more open & 1v1s which, if we're undersized, is not going to work well. A slower game would allow us to block/impede the runs of a King to a marking contest and give an extra a better chance of helping out & either intercepting or interrupting what would be an easy mark.

Think a smaller fwd line has always worked well for us up fwd so happy for Smith to be dropped for Morris.

Hipwood or Fort down back, Lester 2nd tall, Prior/ Answerth in (ahead of a McKenna or Beecken).

We stress about games and ladders and finals until it gets ridiculous. Then it's just what fun can we have with this impending crazy.

I hope we don't turn feral on whoever the backs are during the game. I'd love to joe style laughing at least a couple of times cause it is a ridiculous, impossible situation.

Unless it isn't, but then we will all be laughing if we somehow win.

Wouldn’t change Hipwood down back in the first instance. Maybe if one of the GC talls starts to dominate then swing him back. I’d trail Smith down back to sit in front of King leading lane as often as he can otherwise he goes to Walter. Lester on King. Prior on JLuko. Can interchange depending on set ups. As stated earlier if it goes to shit move Hipwood down back and swing Smith forward.

Morris and Prior in for Andrews and Joyce.

Last edited:
So defence is ****ed.
  • No talls
  • No Brain

Answorth goes in, switch Rayner back to play as a pho tall, then bring in Prior as another fake tall. Bring in Morris or Sharp for the forwards.

Mids will need to dominate this week.

Well, they got one person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously lots of suggestions thrown up since the news broke about Joyce which we were kind of having about who to replace Andrews with.

One thing I do know and we may never know, but I hope someone within the team has selflessly actually taken it upon themselves to approach Fages and say Fages, I want to play defence or KPD this week and I’m up for the challenge and demand to play their for the team and for Harris, Darragh, Jack etc.

Of course Fages and the MC will be debating this very issue on what to do and who to play their but it would be real leadership if someone demanded to play there this week and just give it a red hot crack despite how imperfect they may be down there.

That’s all I got.

Getting creative might mean playing Fort in the ruck, changing with Big O playing in the hole to limit their forwards getting a clear run at the ball.
Without the KPD stocks available, you’d think our game plan will be adapted anyway. The run and gun idea is good, but a lack of midfield pressure/high entries means their forwards will have easy access to marks.

Wouldn’t change Hipwood down back in the first instance. Maybe if one of the GC talls starts to dominate then swing him back. I’d trail Smith down back to sit in front of King leading lane as often as he can otherwise he goes to Walter. Lester on King. Prior on JLuko. Can interchange depending on set ups. As stated earlier if it goes to shit move Hipwood down back and swing Smith forward.

Morris and Prior in for Andrews and Joyce.

Throwing Henry to the wolves down back as a "trial" would be my absolute last choice.

Second gamer given the job against King?

Totally unfair and a way to destroy his confidence. No Morris down back either.

Whoever gets the job as the pseudo KPD in Harris' absence just can't be a rookie .

Eric is a seasoned AFL player and a much better proposition.

If not him, do a shuffle with Prior or Answeth or anyone else other than Smith or Logan down back

Last edited:
If you think you have to play a tall on King it has to be Hipwood or Fort.

Which means it's Hipwood.

Who knows, Hipwood could end up being an AA defender.

Wouldn't be the first time a forward has really blossomed when only having to run the one way. Harvey Merrigan ,Mal Michael, just off the top of my head.
Gary Pert and Paul Roos both started as forwards.

If gcs get enough supply putting Lester on king could be a blood bath and I don’t want 3kz to have to watch that
You’re right, my doctor told me not to get too excited and watching Lester murder King might tip me over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back