Unofficial Preview Changes/discussion Round 20, Pineapple Grapple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's go total loony and play Charlie at FB, Bailey at CHB and Lester at Full Forward

In this scenario is Bailey sitting on Charlie’s shoulders?

With all due respect to Frog, the only way he "murders" King is to bring a machete out to the ground
I think Metricon's security measures will be a lot tighter than Trump's Secret Service detail though, so we probably wouldn't even get a shot off.

1721743921111.png
1721744079519.png

It's one thing to have rotten injury luck, it's another thing for 90% of it to affect one area of the ground.

Completely writing this week off as GC haven't lost at home and we have no defense, if we pull off a win then I'll be puzzled, bemused and ecstatic.

Fortunately I am not the club, who I'm sure will embrace the challenge.

Shades of 2021 where we had the same problem but up forward. Hipwood ACL, McStay concussed in the first final against Melbourne, Payne comes in for the SF vs the dogs and immediately gets his head split open and taken to hospital. Left us with zero KPFs and I remember Harris getting swung to FF in the last quarter

If you think you have to play a tall on King it has to be Hipwood or Fort.

Which means it's Hipwood.

Who knows, Hipwood could end up being an AA defender.

Wouldn't be the first time a forward has really blossomed when only having to run the one way. Harvey Merrigan ,Mal Michael, just off the top of my head.
Paul Roos

Will likely see us press really hard forward. Mids will need to have a big clearance game. Let them play on the counter and hope a smaller backline can cover when they break through.
I could actually see us play with a spare in defence all night.
Have one of the wingers role back after centre bounce and one of the half forwards come up to stoppage.

Throwing Henry to the wolves down back as a "trial" would be my absolute last choice.

Second gamer given the job against King?

Totally unfair and a way to destroy his confidence. No Morris down back either.

Whoever gets the job as the pseudo KPD in Harris' absence just can't be a rookie .

Eric is a seasoned AFL player and a much better proposition.

If not him, do a shuffle with Prior or Answeth or anyone else other than Smith or Logan down back
I don’t see a problem with what I suggested and also no idea where you got the Smith on King stuff from. I never even said that so what’s the deal?

smith will play on Walter’s (been awful but has a lot of potential) and would try to replicate Andrews role (big ask I know but who else do we have who can do that without destroying the structure of other areas of the team?) and I think his height and mobility is fine to do that. Has also experience down back in the VFL where he was accountable and played well enough.

You’ll realise King isn’t that good if you watch the Suns regularly. Take his leading space and he’s next to useless. Doesn’t wrestle, doesn’t jump, doesn’t give second and third efforts. Ben Brown 2.0.

And also as I stated, which you ignored, is if a Suns talls do start to get on a run then we trial Hipwood back. Though posters should be well aware that Smith has a lot more experience against grown men as a defender than Hipwood.

The suns last 4 games they have had over 60 inside 50s!!
They play to a fairly good standard until the forward 50 entry. Sounds like a lot of teams right.
A lot of those have been high entries to contests and not necesserily to advantage. Certainly not a lot of lowering the eyes.
Over and over again, pretty frustrating to watch considering I want them to do well, most games ;)
Is this the week where that could be a massive advantage.
Whoever plays back has to have back half footy / defensive traits, not just tall, let's not fall into that trap.
I wonder if morris has had any experience , he is a good agile mover ,loves the contest but does he know what to do , where to cover. I have no idea.
He would be my first pick for another tall if he has played down back to some degree.
otherwise I am changing my mind and hippy goes back for Andrew's role.
Prior comes in for Joyce.
Morris in for Smith up forward.
Left , left field ,I'd also bring in Sharp for dare I say Ashcroft, one game only, need a genuine player that will run both ways and get there to compete the next contest, then back up for the chip kick forward.
That is never going to happen though, but I'd love to see it happen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is backs against the wall, every single player will want to lift because Chief is out.

Wilmot probably has already texted Fagan “I can shut down Luko or Walter whatever you need coach”

Amazing that the 2 games this season with the biggest hurdles to overcome have been against the suns.

Galvanising

Well, they got one person.

Was being a bit facetious in my post, and ended up misreading the joke injury post the social team put up on facey for Brain :p

That being said, we've only got one proven AFL tall defender in Lester against a very good home Gold Coast team.
Upside is that Touk, Day and Witts (hopefully on Witts) won't make it on the park.

This is backs against the wall, every single player will want to lift because Chief is out.

Wilmot probably has already texted Fagan “I can shut down Luko or Walter whatever you need coach”

Amazing that the 2 games this season with the biggest hurdles to overcome have been against the suns.

Galvanising
Lucky for us plastic bends and breaks.

From "I was the guy in TISM": "I'd like to apologize to everyone who I should apologize to. Whatever it was I said I never meant it. And to everyone who really liked what I said, I meant it."

Otherwise I am changing my mind and hippy goes back for Andrew's role.
Prior comes in for Joyce.
Morris in for Smith up forward.
Left , left field ,I'd also bring in Sharp for dare I say Levi, one game only, need a genuine player that will run both ways and get there to compete the next contest, then back up for the chip kick forward.
That is never going to happen though, but I'd love to see it happen.
I agree with all of that except Will Ashcroft out KK.... I assume you meant Will not Levi?

Out- Harris Andrews, Henry Smith, Darragh Joyce.

In- Logan Morris, Jaxon Prior, Harry Sharp.

I don’t see a problem with what I suggested and also no idea where you got the Smith on King stuff from. I never even said that so what’s the deal?

smith will play on Walter’s (been awful but has a lot of potential) and would try to replicate Andrews role (big ask I know but who else do we have who can do that without destroying the structure of other areas of the team?) and I think his height and mobility is fine to do that. Has also experience down back in the VFL where he was accountable and played well enough.

You’ll realise King isn’t that good if you watch the Suns regularly. Take his leading space and he’s next to useless. Doesn’t wrestle, doesn’t jump, doesn’t give second and third efforts. Ben Brown 2.0.

And also as I stated, which you ignored, is if a Suns talls do start to get on a run then we trial Hipwood back. Though posters should be well aware that Smith has a lot more experience against grown men as a defender than Hipwood.
If Smith has been doing that role as an adult then he could well be the answer, more so than morris , which was just me thinking out aloud. as you say if it goes pair shaped send Hippy back to take a tall.

I’m sure our coaches(Brian trust) have tossed up a few ideas they know the players skills best. I think they will be conservative in their changes and select from the defensive group for this match. They will trust in their processes.

Was being a bit facetious in my post, and ended up misreading the joke injury post the social team put up on facey for Brain :p

That being said, we've only got one proven AFL tall defender in Lester against a very good home Gold Coast team.
Upside is that Touk, Day and Witts (hopefully on Witts) won't make it on the park.
Casboult is fortunately out for them too which is helpful and Ainsworth is done for the season as well.

I was in favour of keeping Hipwood in the forward line, but that was BEFORE Joyce was ruled out.
I would move him back, bring in Prior and Morris. I would also look at potentially having Berry drop back to support if need be so then the third person in the team could be Robertson for the mid rotation. But also could just play McKenna too. I think SUB is critical here and we may opt for Fort to add height to the forward line.

In the Mix - Round 20

Brisbane Lions - Chris Fagan will have to get creative for Saturday's QClash against Gold Coast with co-captain Harris Andrews (concussion) and Darragh Joyce (fractured jaw) unavailable. It leaves the key defensive cupboard almost bare, with just Ryan Lester remaining of the recognised talls. Jaxon Prior has played well in the VFL and could be considered, while Eric Hipwood is an option to swing into defence with Logan Morris returning to the forward line following four goals from 22 disposals at the lower level. Conor McKenna is also available after being rested last week, which would require Brandon Starcevich to play on a taller opponent. - Michael Whiting

Last week's sub: Bruce Reville (replaced Henry Smith)

Gold Coast - For the fourth straight week co-captain Jarrod Witts will be tested to face Brisbane as he attempts to overcome fractured vertebrae suffered against Collingwood in round 16. Malcolm Rosas jnr is available after serving a one-match suspension and would add some much-needed spark to a forward line that struggled to capitalise on the Suns' inside 50 dominance at the weekend. Tom Berry has played well since being dropped to the VFL, as has Brayden Fiorini, with both a chance of a recall. - Michael Whiting

Last week's sub: Will Graham (replaced Joel Jeffrey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back