Changes for Hawthorn game.

Remove this Banner Ad

magoo said:
i can't really understand why you want to drop petrie after that game. we really held cox in the centre and ran himself to a standstill trying to go with him around the ground. i've no doubt we would have been in serious trouble if he hadn't of played.

as for pratt, i didn't think he was that bad. certainly not in our worst players for the game. not quite nailing his long kicks yet but looks like he has the ability to do so. having said that i imagine that when sinclair is back in then he won't be providing the drive out of the backline.... which probably should have been done by makepeace anyway.

Petrie was spanked in the ruck and was not much chop around the ground. His dropped chest mark in the last quarter showcased just how much we misjudged him in 2003. While others had brain fades during the last (Pratt for not kicking to Watt for example), it has become a common theme with Drew.

HOWEVER, with Hale looking dangerous up forward and Mc Intosh still a year away from being really competitive, he is all we have.

Pratt is still up in the air. he has to find a way to permanantly cover his lack of pace, do that and he will make it.

As for Watson, how anyone can make a judgment after one game is byond me. Some players can be found out by one game, usually due to horrible skills or athleticism, but that can't be said of Watson. As i said in a previous post, despite his impressive pace and skills, it was standing up in the tackle during the 3rd quarter that proved there may be a chance.

Bren said:
Changes for this game:

INS: Wells and Sinclair
OUTS: Watson and Pratt

Come on people its a no brainer.

FWIW: Petrie didn't play all that bad but got injured late and might be a late withdrawl for MacKernan (Hamish not ready for this week and would be a good game to get BigMac's confidence up!)

FWIW Pt2: Archer will have no case to answer so don't even think about his replacment.
Also OUT: Eddie
IN: Trotter/Schwartz

(i know that schwartz is on the rookie list)

Will be interesting to see how Thommo fares this week against the Hawks, his last six matches have netted 25.17 (5,5,5,5,3,2)... maybe he's due for a really big bag against his old club! I hope Clarkson puts Jacobs on him. ;)

Agree woth most re, Petrie. He deserved to be dropped around this stage last season.

But going by his form of the last four or five matches it would be an injustice to his performances to remove him from the side.

Tas, how old is Pratt? Without checking I'd say about 22, 23? If his foot skills aren't up to it now being on an AFL list in about his fifth season, they never will be. He doesn't look an AFL player to me, with effectively his third side I wouldn't be banking anything for the future on Daniel.

Hope I'm wrong though.

There is no chance that they will drop Petrie why would they he has been doin really well and i think he is improving.They will look at Picone,Stevens and hopefully Wells and Sinclair back in.They will also seriously consider Trotter.

Out: Piccone, Watson, Pratt

In: Sinclair, Wells, Smith

This isn't what will happen, it's what I want to happen.

Pratt was good last week against the Dons, but in a game where out backline got pounded for three quarters with good delivery from a red hot WCE midfield, he, like Brown and Makepeace, were made to look pretty sh*thouse.

For the love of god, why do we persist with Piccone, when we have a top5 draft pick material kid like Smith hanging around at Port. Give him game time now, ditch Piccone. I love Piccone's heart and guts, and sticking it to hird, but he juts doesn't do enough when we need it. You can't throw him on and say "DOMINATE" - he's just wasting time until we ditch him at the end of the year.

I'd leave Stevens in, I've seen him play some great footy, and he was always good for a few goals a game, he's a player we should persist with, not Piccone.

Apart from that, I think people are harsh on Petrie on the WCE game, Cox is a deadset champion, and he took more of the ruck than usual due to them nursing hale slightly. Expect him to be a lot better this week. Trust me, Petrie sh*ts me as much as anyone, but until H is nailing for Port every week, Petrie stays.

Is there is a player that needs time in the twos to slap him into performing and learning he needs to work to keep his place, it's COREY JONES.

He was trash on Friday night.

george1 said:
Ash Watson is an absolute hack. He is one of the worst players I have ever seen. He can play well in the VFL but he's just not an AFL player. Surly he will be dropped this week and at the end of the year delisted.
you are a bloody w***er mate. you obviously know sfa about the game. surely he will be dropped after 32 minutes of game time!!??

The only certainty I see is:

OUT: Watson - Would surely be better second week in but someone has to make way.

IN: Wells

Personally speaking I think Pratt's been bloody good since returning and that his better controlled mongrel has been a plus for us. He did ok on the previously rampant Matera in the last quarter. He won't be dropped. Nor will Dish. He took on Cox on Saturday night and was run into the ground. Laidley commented afterwards that he'd done ok, so he'll stay in. Eddie was also commended for providing extra pace and run in the last quarter so I expect him to stay in. That is the same thing expected from Stevo and he's been a bit off the mark lately so I see his spot in more jeapardy than Eddies after Saturday night. Lance made blues and is on very shaky ground but this week is against his old club so he may stay in.

I expect an extended bench to be named, considering it's a Sunday game, and for it to include Schwarze, who was outstanding for Port on Saturday, ahead of young Smithy, and probably Bruno LeCras.

We SHOULD'VE beaten the out and out best team in the AFL on Friday night, but for a couple of errant kicks and some bad luck (and crap umpiring), so I wouldn't expect any panic selections.

Bring on the Hawks......who I expect to face a fired up NMFC, and to duly be swamped by us. We need to win this and win it by a BIG margin.

T'toes

RoyalBlue said:
Out: Piccone, Watson, Pratt

In: Sinclair, Wells, Smith

This isn't what will happen, it's what I want to happen.

Pratt was good last week against the Dons, but in a game where out backline got pounded for three quarters with good delivery from a red hot WCE midfield, he, like Brown and Makepeace, were made to look pretty sh*thouse.

On that basis, it isn't Pratt, Brown or Makepeace that are under question - we should be asking why the "red hot" WCE midfielders were not under more pressure. In today's game you can't expect the back half to be accountable for every kick their opponents get when the midfield are is good as the WCE's.

You can be less than half a metre from your opponent and not have a chance if there is no pressure on the kicker. Cut these guys some slack, I thought that Brown and Pratt did OK under the circumstances. I thought Makepeace got caught out because he was trying to play his usual attacking role, rather than being Matera's 2nd skin. Under the circumstances I would hate to think what Sinclar's opponent could have done if he had of played as he plays a very unaccountable role.

Haven't bothered to read this entire thread as there is far too much arrogance about these boards in the past few days.

But my predicted changes are :

IN : Wells, Sinclair*
Out : Watson, Picioane*

*If Sinclair is fit to play

Laidley is happy with how Pratty played from what i've heard, and he did some big stuff on Friday night. Certainly enough to warrant him staying in the team.

Watson just does not look like an AFL footballer. He added nothing really.

Picioane tries hard but just doesn't have the necessary skills to maintain a cosntant position in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bren said:
Changes for this game:

INS: Wells and Sinclair
OUTS: Watson and Pratt

Come on people its a no brainer.

Agree! We don't need to go beserk. I think Corey Jones (seems lost in the new forward set up) & Makepeace (soundly beaten) need to have a look at themselves as well. Piccone is close to being dropped, but I'd give him a go against the old club.

Eagle Eye said:
On that basis, it isn't Pratt, Brown or Makepeace that are under question - we should be asking why the "red hot" WCE midfielders were not under more pressure. In today's game you can't expect the back half to be accountable for every kick their opponents get when the midfield are is good as the WCE's.

You can be less than half a metre from your opponent and not have a chance if there is no pressure on the kicker. Cut these guys some slack, I thought that Brown and Pratt did OK under the circumstances. I thought Makepeace got caught out because he was trying to play his usual attacking role, rather than being Matera's 2nd skin. Under the circumstances I would hate to think what Sinclar's opponent could have done if he had of played as he plays a very unaccountable role.

There seemed to be a plan that once the WCE got it (either through their own good play or us turning it over) we'd surrender the midfield to them and defend from the 50 metre arc. The defence was under seige but they often had plenty of our guys back there helping out.

Makepeace didn't have a great night but the other defenders did pretty well considering the standard of delivery into the fwd line which was usually pretty good.

I was especially disappointed with Brown allowing Lynch to get a run up at the pack to mark in the first 1/4, with a dropped Colbert mark in the 3rd 1/4 and with a Matera chest mark in the last 1/4. Otherwise, we weren't too bad down back.

Petrie and Pratt did make some clangers which have incurred the wrath of some, but the recent form overall has been okay. Petrie's last month has been a great improvement, with his ruck work impressive and actually holding marks.

Pratt dropped marks and like a few of his teammates, appeared overawed on Friday night. The defence was under a lot of pressure and I didn't think he did too bad. Pratt is still very inexperienced at senior level and I get the feeling he'll do okay if he is perservered with.

Watson didn't look good, but didn't get much game time and, if we're going to see what he can do, needs to be given a bit more opportunity if we're able to. Surely against Hawthorn we can afford to?

I'd rather Wells and Sinclair were given extra time if possible. Rather them 'cherry ripe' rather than being rushed back in.

Picioane doesn't seem as bad to me as others are making out and if he was a top-liner he'd be on the field the whole time. He is, as Eddie said, the "respirator"... gives people a breather and holds his own okay. Not fussed if he is in or out, but I just think people are a little too critical of him.

Stevens seems well down on the form he had at the start of the year, but there again, I haven't noticed him that much. Maybe that means something?!

Not sure who we drop, but love to see Trotter debut (with some decent game time) and happy for Le Cras come back in at some stage when the match-ups suit. Smith will get plenty of opportunities.

Boomdog45 said:
IN: Wells*, Sinclair*, Le Cras
OUT: Watson, Stevens, Picioane

* Trotter/Schwarze to come in if Wells & Sinkers don't come up.
We've lost by 4 points to a side who is 14-1 and you want to potentially bring in Trotter, Schwarze and LeCras? Am I missing something?

What about Petrie getting rubbed out? I think Arch will be right, but Petrie could easy get a week for that whak in the guts. Premeditated & right on camera.

How'd McKernan go for Port?

sbdan said:
What about Petrie getting rubbed out? I think Arch will be right, but Petrie could easy get a week for that whak in the guts. Premeditated & right on camera.

How'd McKernan go for Port?

Pulled a hamstring, so he won't be in the mix if Petrie is rubbed out. I wouldn't like to see McIntosh in against Spider but he is our only other option. Looks like Corey has missed his chance again through injury. That's the second time this year.

Lets just hope Petrie is not suspended. Even if found guilty he may end up with a few points hanging over his head but not miss a game.

sross said:
Pulled a hamstring, so he won't be in the mix if Petrie is rubbed out. I wouldn't like to see McIntosh in against Spider but he is our only other option. Looks like Corey has missed his chance again through injury. That's the second time this year.

Poor old Corey! He can't take a trick that bloke. If Petrie is out it might be Hamish's chance. You wouldn't get a better education than playing on Everitt anyway. Otherwise Hale & give another youngster a go. We still are doing alright for talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Hawthorn game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back