Changes for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't come up in the system so he's probably going to have to continue averaging 18 at Shield level for another three years before he gets a chance.

Stuff the system - he's the best bowler in Shield cricket.

If guys like Khawaja, Hughes, Smith, Hauritz, Cameron and O'Keefe are in the mix for Australia and Australia A, then surely (hopefully?) Copeland is getting noticed as well.

Can someone please explain why there are so many calls for Johnson to return for the 3rd test?

He was dropped due to bowling very poorly in the first test, having struggled since batsmen around the world realised that there was no law obliging them to edge the ball going across their body. By opting to leave the ball they eliminated his one and only wicket taking delivery. Now he's nothing but a toothless tiger.

I've read comments along the lines of "we won't win the Ashes without him". I put it to you that we won't win The Ashes whether he's in the team or not - and that our (already slim) chances of winning are dramatically reduced by his inclusion in the team.

I'm also struggling with all the calls for Phil Hughes' selection. Yes, he was hard done by when he was dropped in England. However, his form this year has been nothing short of diabolical. We need to select players who are at least in some sort of form, not basing selection on guilt over mistakes made 2 years ago. The fact is that the poms have him worked out and the Saffies are kicking themselves for not having done so before he ripped their attack to shreds. Unless and until he overcomes his technical flaws against short pitched bowling (and they do exist) - and regains confidence in his own abilities in doing so - then he will be lucky to play for NSW, let alone Australia.

Right now we have 4 players who desperately need to be replaced - Katich (injured), North (incompetent), Doherty (not much better) and Bollinger (unfit). Siddle is borderline, saved by his 1st test/1st innings heroics. In an ideal world I'd like to see Ponting & Clarke dropped as well, but we can't make 7 changes to the team in one hit (and I'm struggling to find 2 batsmen to replace North & Katich, finding 4 would be mission impossible).

Smith seems the obvious replacement for Doherty. Warne's been retired for 4 years and he's still Australia's best spin bowler by a country mile. He's not going to come out of retirement, so we make the best of a (very) bad bunch. Smith can't bowl, but neither can any of our other spinners. At least he can bat, which puts him ahead of the rest of the field.

Copeland and/or Cameron could/should replace Bollinger - and possibly Siddle as well. They have form in the Sheffield Shield, so why not reward them?

That leaves the batting options. Sadly, the cupboard is looking very bare indeed...

Khawaja is the most obvious selection. His form isn't outstanding, but it's a damn sight better than Hughes'. He's young and he's the future of Australian cricket. Now is as good a time as any to introduce him to test cricket.

That leaves the opening slot. None of the state openers are sticking their hand up, so we might have to rearrange the deck chairs amongst the incumbents (I'd suggest promoting Hussey), bringing in another middle order player. Marsh's first class record suggests that he's not going to have a long term test future, but right now he's probably the best option we have. Is there anyone (other than Khawaja) under the age of 25 who has made runs this year?

So.. my team:
1. Watson
2. Hussey
3. Khawaja
4. Ponting
5. Clarke
6. Marsh
7. Haddin
8. Smith
9. Copeland
10. Cameron
11. Harris

12. Siddle

if harris was going to be ruled unfit. that's what the selectors will do. it doesn't make it the right choice

Hussey
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Smith
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris
Hilfenhaus

Michael Hussey is the right man to open considering our lack of good openers. David Hussey to come into the middle - good all round cricketer. Smith and Hauritz to complete the spinning duties. Hilfy and Harris to open the bowling accurately. Also this lineup ensures a strong tail, which is needed for us to squeeze out every available run.
Johnson is the only one i'm iffy about but he is such an enigmatic cricketer in all areas of the game i'd struggle to leave him out.

Stuff the system - he's the best bowler in Shield cricket.

If guys like Khawaja, Hughes, Smith, Hauritz, Cameron and O'Keefe are in the mix for Australia and Australia A, then surely (hopefully?) Copeland is getting noticed as well.

Oh, I completely agree with you.

I was more pointing out how dumb it is.

Siddle was picked at the same age, with about the same first class experience but with worse results than Copeland. That's at a time when our bowling stocks were better (Lee was still around, Clark was still one of the best in the world).

Copeland should almost be a no brainer at this point. When the team takes 1/519 followed by 5/620, you should simply look at the Shield and say "Who has the best record over the last 10 matches?"

There's Copeland, with 57 wickets at 18, with an economy rate of 2.65. If that doesn't scream "pick me!" I don't know what does.

Let's hope he picks up a big haul in the second innings at the SCG and gets in the side.

Vader
As much as I hate saying it to a mod, you are dead right unfortunately because Ponting and Clarke need to be gone although for different reasons. I think using Jacques as an interim opener as that is better than a middle order batsman being destroyed by playing out of position.

As for a few others saying promote M Hussey I ask why you would move the only bloke getting runs FFS. If they have real guts they could get rid of Ponting and Clarke and move Hussey back to 4. And as to the call to bring back Johnson I would say that this would be a disaster. Senh him back to Qld and get him bowling long spells where most of us don't care if his team loses. In fact it kind of makes us happy

Australian cricket is strong when NSW cricket is strong and form the nucleus of the team. Check history and you will see it is true. Get back to basics.

Oh, I completely agree with you.

I was more pointing out how dumb it is.

Siddle was picked at the same age, with about the same first class experience but with worse results than Copeland. That's at a time when our bowling stocks were better (Lee was still around, Clark was still one of the best in the world).

Copeland should almost be a no brainer at this point. When the team takes 1/519 followed by 5/620, you should simply look at the Shield and say "Who has the best record over the last 10 matches?"

There's Copeland, with 57 wickets at 18, with an economy rate of 2.65. If that doesn't scream "pick me!" I don't know what does.

Let's hope he picks up a big haul in the second innings at the SCG and gets in the side.

none of that matters. selectors will pick who they want and make excuses to justify their choices.

I'm getting really worried that Smith is going to get a game. Surely people don't think he is a better batsman than White, Marsh, D Hussey, Kwaja etc?
White has a 1st class average of 42.02, which is inflated due to time spent in County Cricket. His Shield average is closer to 38 (hoping someone can confirm/deny this). He's a handy limited overs player, but his batting is severely overrated in the longer form of the game.

Smith has a 1st class average of 43.43, so yes, I do rate him as a better prospect than White.

D Hussey is 33 and would only add to the biggest problem faced by the Australian Cricket team - block obsolescence due to the "Dad's Army" factor. His time has already passed.

For what it's worth, I'd be selecting Smith, Khawaja and Marsh for the 3rd test.

Can not believe they aren't going to bowl Johnson in the upcoming Shield match

The bloke needs overs in the middle.

We should be doing what we did with Doug - bowl him in the 1st innings and then sub someone else in.

The changes will be

Out Katich, North, Doherty

In Hughes, Smith, Johnson

I reckon that looks about right... some of the suggestions on here are quite ridiculous. There won't be an overhaul of the team like some think, as their shouldnt.

McDonald, Hodge, White, Marsh won't be called up... as they shouldn't.

Katich is out through injury
North and Doherty almost have to be dropped due to lack of ability.

The others are right to stay i reckon... eventually like to see Siddle replaced with Hilfenhaus...

I'm getting really worried that Smith is going to get a game. Surely people don't think he is a better batsman than White, Marsh, D Hussey, Kwaja etc?

He scored 772 runs in the Shield last year. At 77 (highest average) with four centuries - more than anyone else in the comp.

He hasn't had the best start to the year, but his knock against England showed he has the temperament to play at international level.

His bowling is a bonus.

He scored 772 runs in the Shield last year. At 77 (highest average) with four centuries - more than anyone else in the comp.

He hasn't had the best start to the year, but his knock against England showed he has the temperament to play at international level.

His bowling is a bonus.

stop making so much sense. :)

I reckon that looks about right... some of the suggestions on here are quite ridiculous. There won't be an overhaul of the team like some think, as their shouldnt.

McDonald, Hodge, White, Marsh won't be called up... as they shouldn't.

Katich is out through injury
North and Doherty almost have to be dropped due to lack of ability.

The others are right to stay i reckon... eventually like to see Siddle replaced with Hilfenhaus...

Sorry but do not agree. The team needs to be overhauled not fiddled with. The reason for this is because the generational renewal has been delayed for 2 years. If North and Hussey had been replaced 18 months ago when they should have been we would be focussing on one batsman and 2 bowlers but time has marched on leaving us where we are today.

In saying thaty I would be surprised if there are more than 2 changes plus Katich replacement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for a few others saying promote M Hussey I ask why you would move the only bloke getting runs FFS. If they have real guts they could get rid of Ponting and Clarke and move Hussey back to 4. And as to the call to bring back Johnson I would say that this would be a disaster. Senh him back to Qld and get him bowling long spells where most of us don't care if his team loses. In fact it kind of makes us happy
Why replace Katich with Hussey?

Because none of the shield openers are up to the task, especially Hughes. If we accept this assumption, then we're going to have to promote a middle order batsman to do the job - either one of the incumbents or one of the incoming batsmen. My personal opinion is that Hussey is the least worst option available.

Why replace Katich with Hussey?

Because none of the shield openers are up to the task, especially Hughes. If we accept this assumption, then we're going to have to promote a middle order batsman to do the job - either one of the incumbents or one of the incoming batsmen. My personal opinion is that Hussey is the least worst option available.

Fair enough but I am of the school of not weakening one spot to strengthen another. IMO leave Hussey and bring in the best opener we have for 5 day cricket. I would go for Jacques but happy for the selectors to pick the best opener available.

i do.

he's the best man for the job right now, particularly considering the VC is out of form and struggling with injury.

Then we will be losers FOREVER!

Australia will not win The Ashes for 10 years!

No Reflexes, sight diminishing, lost speed, and importantly NO RUNS.

Ricky, you should've retired last year, along with others.

Australia resembles the dad's army that England used to send on Ashes tours through the 80's and 90's. IF I had my way, Ponting and a few others would've been gone last year. Last summer was full of mediocrity which has continued on for a further 12 months.

The problem with Australian Cricket is that people are allowed to go into extended form slumps and "be saved" by one good innings. The Selectors do nothing to address the slide. I am no fan of Pontings but respect what he has donein and for the game. I fear now that he has run out of options with the Captaincy. I would not make Clarke captain in his place though, as he is too inconsistent at the moment and record is not great. I would make Watson Captain. Though I am also no great fan of his, Watson is the only one who looks like he will be part of the team in 2 years.

I would have given captaincy to the proven Katich for 2-3 years, had he not been injured.

Then we will be losers FOREVER!

Australia will not win The Ashes for 10 years!

No Reflexes, sight diminishing, lost speed, and importantly NO RUNS.

Ricky, you should've retired last year, along with others.

Australia resembles the dad's army that England used to send on Ashes tours through the 80's and 90's. IF I had my way, Ponting and a few others would've been gone last year. Last summer was full of mediocrity which has continued on for a further 12 months.

The problem with Australian Cricket is that people are allowed to go into extended form slumps and "be saved" by one good innings. The Selectors do nothing to address the slide. I am no fan of Pontings but respect what he has donein and for the game. I fear now that he has run out of options with the Captaincy. I would not make Clarke captain in his place though, as he is too inconsistent at the moment and record is not great. I would make Watson Captain. Though I am also no great fan of his, Watson is the only one who looks like he will be part of the team in 2 years.

I would have given captaincy to the proven Katich for 2-3 years, had he not been injured.

watson could be part of the team in 2 years if his body holds up. and that's a big if.
I don't see what changing the captain would do to this side, except unsettle it even further.
would be a stupid decision.
Oh, and if we don't win the ashes this series we will be in an extended slump for probably another 5 years.
those of us with memories that go further back than 2007 can remember that this can and does happen btw.

Fox sports news just said Johnson is certain to come back in. Great...

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back