Changes for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw a young blioke bowling left arm orthodox on the weekend and he actually turned a few and took 5-20 off 6 overs. Might be a bit too good for our team but do you think I should mention him to Warnie so he can get him in the team.

Oh forgot to mention he is only 13 but has been playing for 5 years. Is that a bit young or do you think he has the experience

Reasonably happy with the changes actually.

Smith for North was obvious and should be permanent

Hughes is in average form but there's not much else going round in the openers stakes atm, and he has the international experience and talent.

Beer though surely he will not play? Doherty had to go but surely Hauritz did enough to get back, and O'Keefe's record is far better.

And I would have kept Doug in for Siddle. Granted both were shit in Adelaide but I think that can be attributed to Doug's fitness which should improve, whereas with Siddle I just think it was business as usual.

Saw a young blioke bowling left arm orthodox on the weekend and he actually turned a few and took 5-20 off 6 overs. Might be a bit too good for our team but do you think I should mention him to Warnie so he can get him in the team.

Oh forgot to mention he is only 13 but has been playing for 5 years. Is that a bit young or do you think he has the experience

Don't worry, if he's a NSWman it'll be in the Daily Telly tomorrow and Slats and co will be pushing for his selection.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Greg Chappell was the man behind the selection of Michael Beer into the Australian squad for the vital 3rd Ashes Test in Perth. After all, Chappell was the one that pushed for the selection of a guy named Peter Taylor into the Australian team for the 5th Test of the 1986/87 season against England. Taylor took 6 wickets on debut.

Even realising we have picked Smith to bat as well, why have we picked 2 spinners for Perth. Why didn't we just pick an extra batsman and play Smith at no.8. Strengthens our top order, helps our tail as well as getting rid of one of our sh1tful pacemen. Barring Harris a couple of those fast bowlers in there are no better than our spinners. We have better one's crying out for a game.

Hughes made a very good 80 against England all of 3 weeks ago. Of course everyone will conveniently forget this and write him off completely. I cant wait to rub it into everyone when he comes out and creams the attack.

Haven't seen much of Beer and I have to wonder if its a horses for courses selection for the WACA. If it doesnt work out for him there will be a lot of angry fans quick to put the boot in.

As for Smith, he will be an ongoing selection from now on and it will mark the start of a long, successful career for him. I'm going to put it out there and predict that he will be our next long term skipper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If someone is dropped, then I like it when they go away and work on their weaknesses, then demand selection. But Johnson and Hilfenhaus were brought back just a week after being dropped, what could they have possibly done to improve with a bit of net bowling? They've been doing that for months, and clearly it didn't help.

Nothing against Hilfenhaus, it's the selectors who are the problem.

Hughes made a very good 80 against England all of 3 weeks ago. Of course everyone will conveniently forget this and write him off completely. I cant wait to rub it into everyone when he comes out and creams the attack.

Haven't seen much of Beer and I have to wonder if its a horses for courses selection for the WACA. If it doesnt work out for him there will be a lot of angry fans quick to put the boot in.

As for Smith, he will be an ongoing selection from now on and it will mark the start of a long, successful career for him. I'm going to put it out there and predict that he will be our next long term skipper.

I don't think everyone has forgotten.
The stats don't lie, the guy is averaging 13 this season, which is pathetic.

ManBlingfoldedWithDart.gif

I don't know why people are saying we're a batter short. Sure, the line up is thin, but in 2 tests we've taken 16 wickets, and only 6 in 2 innings. We need some options, especially given how inconsistent our line up is if we have Johnson, Siddle and Smith playing.

Beer to quench Aussies' thirst for talent

victorian beer is an awful selection

when the cupboard is bare even victorian beer will do

oz clutching at straws, look to dislodge poms with victorian beer

you get the picture...

Jon Holland, slow left armer, just took the prize wicket of Alastair Cook in the tour match. GET HIM IN THE TEST TEAM!*

*Actually being able to get a game for Victoria (unlike Michael Beer) may work against him

Maybe if Victoria produced a few more decent young players we'd see a stronger representation.

The changes will be

Out Katich, North, Doherty

In Hughes, Smith, Johnson

Didn't see the Doug getting the axe for Beer.

Still I don't think Beer will play

4 quicks plus Smith should allow Watson a far lower workload - and hopefully help his batting

Staggered by people on here (clueless Victorians) saying White should be in ahead of Smith because having Smith instead of White weakens our batting. Wake up people, Smith is a better batsmen than White, he averages more (and White's average is inflated because of feasting on weak county teams) and Smith performed decently in his last test innings.

Smith also at least looks threatening when he bowls, White doesn't even bowl anymore. White should never get anywhere near the test team ever again.

I don't know why people are saying we're a batter short. Sure, the line up is thin, but in 2 tests we've taken 16 wickets, and only 6 in 2 innings. We need some options, especially given how inconsistent our line up is if we have Johnson, Siddle and Smith playing.

Would've liked 6 batsman, Smith at 8 given we were picked the crop of bowling failures we did. Quantity doesn't equal quality in regards to bowling. Sh1t is sh1t no matter the numbers. Extra sh1t won't make matters better. May as well strengthen the batting.

Would prefer Harris, Copeland, Cameron. Plenty of pressure with the first two and fast aggression with Cameron. Don't need a 4th quick then. Watson would do that job. At least we'd be trying something to give us some hope, as they couldn't be worse, not relying on blokes that got us 1/517 and 6/551. That's as bad as it gets.

If someone is dropped, then I like it when they go away and work on their weaknesses, then demand selection. But Johnson and Hilfenhaus were brought back just a week after being dropped, what could they have possibly done to improve with a bit of net bowling? They've been doing that for months, and clearly it didn't help.

Nothing against Hilfenhaus, it's the selectors who are the problem.
Fair enough then, I guess the obvious reply though is that Hilf shouldn't have been dropped to begin with.

The feeling was that Hilf in particular was dropped not so much to work on any particular area but because after the second innings at the Gabba Harris and Bollinger were better options (and Siddle couldn't be dropped). As it turns out Harris was arguably but Bollinger was just as bad if not worse as was Siddle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back