Changes for round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: L Brown, Goldsack, N Brown, Anthony(never to return)
In: Presti, Reid, Fraser, Davis
Jack Anthony should be dropped, but he will return to the team some day because I hope he stays at the club. He is only 22 years old, and last year he kicked 50 goals in his first full season. He is not in Collingwood's best team currently, but he wasn't that bad against Adelaide, and he adds to Collingwood's depth which has enabled the team to be on top of the ladder. Some people lack lateral thought.
Bit harsh on Jack, he played in the backline for almost the first time ever at senior level, and did a fairly good job, apart from the one shocker at the end.
I agree. He did do a fairly good job I thought, and the "shocker at the end" should not have been a free kick as Rohan Connolly also said at the time on 3AW.
Rule out presti. Was in hospital last week and that's why he didn't play. He may be iffy for the first final but should be ok.
He won't play this week, but he will be available for the following week. It's settled now that Leigh Brown will miss a match, and I don't think that Alan Didak will be risked...

B: Toovey, N.Brown, Maxwell
HB: Shaw, Reid, O'Brien
C: Wellingham, Ball, D.Thomas
HF: Beams, Cloke, Sidebottom
For: Medhurst, Dawes, Davis
Foll: Jolly, Pendlebury, Swan
Inter: Fraser, Macaffer, Johnson, Blair
Emer: Anthony, Buckley, Goldsack, Lockyer

In: Reid, Medhurst, Davis, Fraser
Out: L.Brown (suspended), Didak (bruised shoulder), Anthony, Goldsack

B: Toovey - N. Brown - Goldsack
HB: O'Brien - Reid - Maxwell
C: D. Thomas - Swan - Wellingham
HF: Sidebottom - Cloke - Beams
F: Medhurst - Dawes - Macaffer
FL: Jolly - Pendlebury - Ball
INT: Blair - Shaw - Johnson - Fraser​

Alot of talk about us needing this small forward with forward pressure, but at the same time can kick a goal. Leon gives us the forward pressure aspect, but as of late, not the goal kicking aspect. I am really a fan of Blairs game, really hard at it, and makes some good decisions, and continously applying pressure around the ground which is perfect for finals footy. I think he should be playing finals, yes he lacks experience, but he has shown he can play in a big stage game..but we all know that they dont match up to finals footy.

In my opinion, i can see Blair playing all finals. He shouldn't be dropped at the expense of Leon or Medders. What do you guys think about Blair ?

Blair i think will become an extraction machine.He is small and loves to burrow under the packs.

I agree blair is also a very smart football player and surprisingly strong for his size.He always asseses the situation and makes very good decisions.

He should not be dropped. he will be a regular player next year and an important finals player.

Give Medders one more go to show if he can right finals .Leon well not sure on him.He always lets us down during big finals games,plus i think leon is not 100% anyway,he hasn't been for a while.Cannot afford to play players in finals who are carrying injuries.

Play Sidebotttom as a small forward. Has proved it in the past. Can rotate thru the middle.
Beams another small forward that can rotate thru the guts.
McCaffer our defensive forward.
Cloke and Dawes hold down the key posts.

Medhurst over Davis for the final forward spot.

Blair stays in the engine room.

Reid won't get up this week. Same with Didak. Presti is out. JA gets another game.

The thought of N.Brown and JA on Franklin and Roughead is a bit scary.

B Toovey JA Maxwell
HB Shaw N.Brown O'Brien
C Thomas Swan Wellingham
HF Medhurst Cloke McCaffer
FF Beams Dawes Sidebottom
R Jolly, Pendlebury Ball

INT Johnson Goldsack Fraser Blair

I have a few thoughts.

1. I think Medhurst in for an injured Didak. I also think we should start Medhurst in the midfield. I don't think he has the tank for a full senior game in the middle, but I certainly think it might be what he needs to get off to a good start. He has shown for the last few months that he knows how to play an on-the-ball role in his stint in the VFL. Surely it couldn't hurt starting him in there, and it may even cause a tiny bit of confusion for the Hawks.

2. I think Anthony may be dropped this week for Reid's return. MM said in his Press conf. after last weeks game, that a few players appeared to be ahead of themselves, and used the scenario of attempting set shots well out of their range as an example. I remember in either the 3rd or 4th quarter, Jack took a mark about 55 out, went back and had a shot. I remember thinking as he was lining up: "What is he doing? There hasn't looked like being a set shot goal from outside 50 all game!" And sure enough, it fell about 20m short and was easily rebounded. I have a suspicion that this instance was at the forefront of Mick's mind when he said this, and Jack will be gone this week and not the Sack.

3. Fraser will play for Brown (suspended). If not him, Wood, which is unlikely. But there is no way we'll risk Jolly rucking all day and then turning up against the bully's next week a fatigued, exhausted mess. (By the way, doesn't anyone know what has happened to the Ben Hudson report?)

Now that Presti is a definite out and Dids looks unlikely to play then I think this is how we will line up:

B: Reid, N. Brown, Goldsack
HB: Toovey, Maxwell, O’Brien
C: Shaw, Swan, Wellingham
HF: Beams, Cloke, Sidebottom
F: Davis, Dawes, Medhurst
FOLL: Jolly, Pendlebury, Thomas
INT: Fraser, Macaffer, Johnson, Ball

Emg: Blair, Anthony, Buckley

OUT: L. Brown, Blair, Didak, Anthony
IN: Fraser, Medhurst, Davis, Reid

I have an eerie feeling that Medders will explode this September...

In: Fraser, Medhurst, Reid (if fit)
Out: L.Brown, Didak, Anthony

I really dont think it is those two fighting for the one spot.

It is Medhurst v Davis v Blair v Lockyer IMO.

Medhurst - can be a bit of a marking target.....very hot and cold, but good form in the magoos.

Davis - brilliant forward pressure......struggled all year, poor form in the magoos

Blair - great pressure and burrows in, surely game style suited for finals footy.....is actually in form in the AFL atm.

Lockyer - consistent and you know he will play the role asked of him, good form in the VFL.

It is a very tough decision.......id actually leave Blair in the team......he has earnt his spot.

Quite simply, I'd start Davis/Medhurst in the Qualifying Final, as both have the greatest propensity to struggle.

If they perform well in the QF(SF)PF they hold their spots, but if they don't Blair and Lockyer come in. Blair the preference if only one fails to produce.

Poor finals and they're out. I don't think we can risk anything worse than a 66% strike rate in performing in this finals series, so if Medhurst and Davis have one shocker they'd want to hope it's the Prelim, and it's after gunning it in the first two finals. Otherwise, they're out for the more consistent options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back