Changes for StKilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind to see Wellingham dropped, he's been pretty average for a month now.

I tend to agree with this. He's just stagnated since his early season purple patch, and I wouldn't half mind seeing Blair staying in the side and Wellingham making way for perhaps Davis? Blair has just been so admirable in how he has gone about his playing since his debut, that sh*t needs to be rewarded. That being said, Wellers does have his fantastic moments, and his clearance work is very solid.

I tend to agree with this. He's just stagnated since his early season purple patch, and I wouldn't half mind seeing Blair staying in the side and Wellingham making way for perhaps Davis? Blair has just been so admirable in how he has gone about his playing since his debut, that sh*t needs to be rewarded. That being said, Wellers does have his fantastic moments, and his clearance work is very solid.

I think thats why he needs to stay in. That and he was far from the worst against Port. Sidebum as an example had a pretty ordinary game.

These inclusions need more LeCafe "I just got 37 touches in the twos and tackle like a maniac" eteria.

Defensive pressure, sound skills and big bodies will be important agianst the Saints and Macaffer offers all of them.

May be so but I still have nightmares about his kicking in the Geelong game. If Macaffer comes in we will have far too many young inexperienced players in the team.

I think thats why he needs to stay in. That and he was far from the worst against Port. Sidebum as an example had a pretty ordinary game.

True, but put Blair on the clearances and he'll do a pretty solid job as well. For the most part I'm just trying to find ways to keep Blair in the side, it'd be a felony not to considering his debuting form. Sidey didn't do well in the conditions, but they were pretty abnormal, although you can only make so many excuses I 'spose.

If Macaffer comes in we will have far too many young inexperienced players in the team.

Youth and/or inexperience aren't a problem in themselves. It's just that usually the younger players have weaker bodies and/or shit decision-making. Macaffer has neither, so should come in if form warrants.

Also, it's really a shame Dicky Knee's not fit, would love to see what he could do against the Saints. We really lack some forward-line pace atm.

Also, it's really a shame Dicky Knee's not fit, would love to see what he could do against the Saints. We really lack some forward-line pace atm.

Without him playing in either clashes, they won't be able to plan for him when he plays against them in the pre-lim/granny and he'll kick a bag of 5 before they realise what happened ;)

In Maccafer Medhurst
Out Cloke Lockyer

I would like to play Davis against a good side to prove himself again but don't see an out. Lockyer slightly unlucky but he can come back, too many senior games in a row won't be good for his body and Macaffer appears to have deserved his spot.

I think Malthouse will strongly consider Josh as Leigh Brown will be playing forward and off bench, need more than one ruck v Saints. Also 200 games v Saints would be a good time to do it. Jack may be the casualty because his form is poor and he has got slower. Reid should never play forward again so anyone mentioning that has no idea of football, especially coaching. Purely a backman now and a good one but too slow for CHF.

Maxwell is injured still and 1-2 weeks being listed so often is worrying. Shouldn't mess with the backline regardless. Goldsack will be unlucky when Maxwell returns.

Foward line is still our big worry and again we lose our most consistent forward, very disappointing but I'm glad Trav came out and said he owes the boys.

Looking at the stats v Port we got smashed in marks and kicks, although we did use handball heavy for a change it doesn't read well coming into the Saints. I am always biased towards Collingwood but I think at the moment we need Saints to get injuries to beat them. I'd rather take on Geelong and think these two teams are the only thing between us and the ultimate Glory. I can sense a 2002 lack of respect for us, if our play such as sidebottom and wellingham can find pre-injury form we'll be a massive show.

In Maccafer Medhurst
Out Cloke Lockyer

I would like to play Davis against a good side to prove himself again but don't see an out. Lockyer slightly unlucky but he can come back, too many senior games in a row won't be good for his body and Macaffer appears to have deserved his spot.

I think Malthouse will strongly consider Josh as Leigh Brown will be playing forward and off bench, need more than one ruck v Saints. Also 200 games v Saints would be a good time to do it. Jack may be the casualty because his form is poor and he has got slower. Reid should never play forward again so anyone mentioning that has no idea of football, especially coaching. Purely a backman now and a good one but too slow for CHF.

Maxwell is injured still and 1-2 weeks being listed so often is worrying. Shouldn't mess with the backline regardless. Goldsack will be unlucky when Maxwell returns.

Foward line is still our big worry and again we lose our most consistent forward, very disappointing but I'm glad Trav came out and said he owes the boys.

Looking at the stats v Port we got smashed in marks and kicks, although we did use handball heavy for a change it doesn't read well coming into the Saints. I am always biased towards Collingwood but I think at the moment we need Saints to get injuries to beat them. I'd rather take on Geelong and think these two teams are the only thing between us and the ultimate Glory. I can sense a 2002 lack of respect for us, if our play such as sidebottom and wellingham can find pre-injury form we'll be a massive show.

Great post!!

I could settle for those outs but Lockyer would be stiff. His field and goal kicking could be important in unlocking StKilda but I worry about his pace to corral and provide defensive pressure. I'd be just as happy with someone like Johnson out who has been playing poorly for a while now and probably deserves a spell in the twos soon. Macaffer plays a similar role to him anyway.

It's interesting on the handballing vs. Port. It was probably a reaction to the wind in a way but I thought we executed that handball gameplan poorly at times against Port. We dished off to too many flat footed players, something if we repeat against the Saints (and you alluded to it spelling trouble) will play into their hands as they are such a good defensive and tackling side.

Should be a cracker of a game.

Saints are the slowest team in the league, why would anyone be worried about pace. They just cog the backline, switch kick and kick it to Riewoldt. Flood the midfield will be the tactic so they don't have the easy switch kick out.
That's what we did last time and it was working except for poor kicking.

The only other concern is Gardiner taking marks up on a wing. You block their marking from half back to the wing and you can get them the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post!!

I could settle for those outs but Lockyer would be stiff. His field and goal kicking could be important in unlocking StKilda but I worry about his pace to corral and provide defensive pressure. I'd be just as happy with someone like Johnson out who has been playing poorly for a while now and probably deserves a spell in the twos soon. Macaffer plays a similar role to him anyway.

It's interesting on the handballing vs. Port. It was probably a reaction to the wind in a way but I thought we executed that handball gameplan poorly at times against Port. We dished off to too many flat footed players, something if we repeat against the Saints (and you alluded to it spelling trouble) will play into their hands as they are such a good defensive and tackling side.

Should be a cracker of a game.

Handballing more than kicking is effective in very few situations (eg. into the wind). Against St Kilda if we handball too much, we'll turn it over but if we kick blindly they love having the loose guy floating in defense.

I agree on the pace in our forward line to put pressure on them, it's the easiest way to get a turnover and get a score. Apparently we're number 1 for scores on turnovers, so a very valid point.

If we get tackle happy and kick effectively into our forward line we'll win but they are two big ifs.

GO PIES!

So we lose Cloke and you want to get rid of Anthony. Id rather have another forward option in Anthony in the team who can also play in defence if required.

Reid may not be a CHF but he is definately NOT slow. Yes he was terrible a couple of years ago when he played forward but that Ben Reid is long gone.

Keefe could come in to play on Riewoldt. What about that Carter guy? Is he ready yet? Macnamara for the ruck this week to help out Jolly.

Possum was down last week so lets bring in Blight to play his role. Sinclair looks ready to step into the team and why not give Barham another go!
My answer to your statement
[youtube]31g0YE61PLQ[/youtube]

medhurst and davis in. the pressure they apply inside 50 via chasing/tackling is crucial to beating the saints. cloke and probably blair out with the latter stiff given his efforts to date

major positional change to cover cloke - maybe a little from left field but ben reid to start at CHF. recruited as a key forward and started his senior pies career there. his confidence must be the highest it's been in his time at the pies, he is kicking beautifully, the perfect time to give him another run forward. he has the mobility to run his opponent around which in turn helps spread the stk defence which is an important element to beating them. presti can take riewoldt, brown anthony obrien goldsack provide sufficient cover for saints other talls inside 50. reid is a genuine star in the making and is capable of making his name at either end of the ground, probably a combination of both throughout his career. good time to get the forward ball rolling this week

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but new member and can only post replies.

I'm a Perth based Pies fan and planning on going to the Pies/Carlton game. Is the Olympic Stand ok to book seats in ie, I don't want to be surrounded by Blues fans only ;)

I'm a Perth based Pies fan and planning on going to the Pies/Carlton game. Is the Olympic Stand ok to book seats in ie, I don't want to be surrounded by Blues fans only ;)

Probably worth splitting this into a new thread Mods, I have the same question.

Also, general admission, best seating ... will I get into the ground etc. (non-member, saving for a year where I'll make the trip more than once)?

Welcome.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for StKilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back