Changes for Swans - early thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

To me we can make changes to personnel without worrying about disrupting the side. Changing the structure though is dangerous.

I am not sure what to do because of the following.

Dawes hasn't set the world on fire however it is clear to me that his role in the structure is needed. Cloke and Anthony need a third tall option and since he has come in our forward line has worked much better.

Also Leigh Brown is needed as a second big defender to play with Presti. He has been very useful this year but with no injuries I see him being pushed out of our best 22.

We have three talls that may come in being Fraser, Rocca and N Brown.

We have two talls that should go out being Dawes and L Brown.

The player for player swaps would mean that we Dawes goes out for Rocca as well as L Brown for Nathan.

Fraser though is definitely in our best 22. If he comes in we have three options.
1 - We do not bring in Rocca and use one of our rucks in the forward line
2 - We drop Cam Wood. We would then need someone to help out Fraser in the ruck which means that one of L Brown or Dawes should come back in.
3 - We drop a smaller type player which may mean we are become too top heavy.

I would love to have Rocca come back in but the more I think about it, the more option 1 would be the best option.

Out: Dawes, L Brown
In: Fraser, N Brown

Goldsack this week for Leroy and maybe Rambo or Goldballs for Doggies - again at expense of L'Anvil.

Dick is important in releasing Davis and Didak and is very clever in setting up his team-mates and taking some important snaps. Also good defensive pressure.

I think Dawes should make way for Fraser who should play forward and play 2nd fiddle ruck to Wood.

Out: L Brown, Dawes
In: Goldsack, Fraser.

What's with the Ben Johnson hate on this board? Played a good game today and has been pretty good ever since he came back from the broken leg.

Just one change for me. In- Fraser, Out- Dawes.
Not sure myself why you would want to dump him, as I recall first game back ran with Judd and did a good job of it.

Put him on R. Shaw and shut down half the Swans run through the midfield. Johnson should stay as he matches well in and under with Swans, their structure has changed since we last played them too, less Hall centric. He will hold his own no worries.

Hopefully Rocca doesn't come back into the team this week. We have trouble handling him. :D

How have you lot seen Rhyce Shaw since he moved to the Swans? I think he has been excellent for us and done really well running out of the backline setting up play.

Anyway, best of luck on the weekend. It's on bloody delay on TV up here. :thumbsdown:

Pies will win anyway, you lot are running red hot (and i reckon the Pies might win the flag)

Hopefully Rocca doesn't come back into the team this week. We have trouble handling him. :D

How have you lot seen Rhyce Shaw since he moved to the Swans? I think he has been excellent for us and done really well running out of the backline setting up play.

Anyway, best of luck on the weekend. It's on bloody delay on TV up here. :thumbsdown:

Pies will win anyway, you lot are running red hot (and i reckon the Pies might win the flag)

Looks like Rhyce is doing well for you guys but I can't stand him as a player. Always had the talent but coughed it up too much as he invariably took the wrong option even when the right one was the obvious one. Against Adelaide last year I've never screamed at a Pies player as much before. Kept getting it and kept giving it to them - could have been the most destructive performance (to us) from a Pies player I've ever seen. Funny thing is a few people on this board said he was one of our best that day - presumably because they didn't watch the game and saw how many stats he had or simply were on drugs. I don't watch too many Sydney games but he did this against us and I know the boys got into him a bit. Saw some of your game on the weekend tho and the parts I saw he was excellent.

He seems like a good bloke and he's a Shaw so I wish him the best so hopefully he keeps up the form he's found up in Sydney. Perhaps there were internal problems we don't know about as the move seems to have been mutually beneficial. His bro is in a different league tho, Heath's unbelievable ATM.

I think we will win but you boys will put up a good fight - different side to the one you fielded at the start of the year. Always love playing sydney.. ;)

Rhyce needed a change in scenery. Collingwood was too much pressure on him after the 03 Grand Final mishap.

Always looked to have the talent, but I feel wasn't utilised properly, and had unrealistic expecations on his head.

Good to see him doing so well now, and appears to be playing with the freedom and I guess happiness - if you will, he didn't have at Collingwood.

On the game though, it's so weird that we're a bogey side for you for so many seasons. Up until recently, we haven't been anywhere NEAR Sydney on PAPER. But for some reason, out on the field, the Collingwood players see those red and white jumpers, and lift to a different level. It's bizarre.

This year is probably the first year where I can genuinely say we're better on paper. But it's just strange the way you guys can't seem to break the hoodoo.

In:Jaxson Barham,Marty Clarke
Outs:Brad Dick,Weelingham

What i thought about the game is that dick had no impact on our win only one goal :rolleyes:.and wellingham is a good runner but i think if marty clarke came in he could get 2 goals atleast,and for Jacko we would have excellent run through the midfield with Swan,Beams,Barham,Clarke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speak of the devil

Basically said what I said...

At Sydney, he found a club much like Collingwood - close-knit, proud, intensely competitive - but without the baggage. ''Just being able to concentrate on my footy and not have the eyes of the world on me 24/7 is a good thing for me,'' he said. ''It's really helped me as a person and as footballer. I'm really happy with the fact that no one knows me up here.''

''I've got a bit more freedom up in Sydney,'' he said. ''I'm a real confidence player. My confidence is up. Paul Roos and John Longmire have given me the confidence to take the game on. A few mistakes here and there don't matter as long as you're trying. I probably wouldn't have been given the ball at Collingwood, but things change. My role's changed. We've had an up-and-down year, but I probably haven't played the real bad games I played in the past.''

I would say Wellingham may be rested. He seemed to pull up with a HAMMY in the 3rd quarter.

2 Ruckman is a must heading into the finals campaign, thus Fraser will
come straight in if fit.

Ben Johnson's good form is keeping Mary Clarke out of the team
Jack Anthony's good form will keep Rocca out of the team

So this week, I would say :

In : Fraser, Sidebottom
Out : Dawes, Wellingham

Gees - what a selection headache !

anthony got hurt apparntly so if his not fully fit give him the week of?

out anthony
in rocca/fraser take ur choice simple

leave dawes in drop him against the dogs

Rhyce needed a change in scenery. Collingwood was too much pressure on him after the 03 Grand Final mishap.

Always looked to have the talent, but I feel wasn't utilised properly, and had unrealistic expecations on his head.

Good to see him doing so well now, and appears to be playing with the freedom and I guess happiness - if you will, he didn't have at Collingwood.

On the game though, it's so weird that we're a bogey side for you for so many seasons. Up until recently, we haven't been anywhere NEAR Sydney on PAPER. But for some reason, out on the field, the Collingwood players see those red and white jumpers, and lift to a different level. It's bizarre.

This year is probably the first year where I can genuinely say we're better on paper. But it's just strange the way you guys can't seem to break the hoodoo.

Well said!
He has a different role to play in our team compared to that at Collingwood. If he isn't running & bouncing through the lines at the Swans, then he isn't doing the job for which he was recruited. Unfortunately, there are few players in the comp that have 100% efficiency & Rhys will make the odd mistake with this type of play.
But if he consistently gets 25 possessions, 10 bounces a game & has 3 clangers, then he will invariably do more good for our team then bad!

Perhaps at Collingwood he had a load on his shoulders & was made to pay more for his mistakes then some of your other players.
Unfortunately all clubs have supporters that give 'unfair' criticism to at least one player.

He will win our B & F this year!

Good luck on Sunday! Don't be too surprised if we give this game a shake!
What ever happens though, if you keep playing the way you are, you should give the p'ship a good shake!:thumbsu:

In:Jaxson Barham,Marty Clarke
Outs:Brad Dick,Weelingham

What i thought about the game is that dick had no impact on our win only one goal :rolleyes:.and wellingham is a good runner but i think if marty clarke came in he could get 2 goals atleast,and for Jacko we would have excellent run through the midfield with Swan,Beams,Barham,Clarke

He was sensational! Wellingham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Swans - early thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back