Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would bring Faulkner in for Bailey, srsly

Lighten the bowling load, keep the current bowlers semi-fresh for Perth without resting them

The guy should be able to contribute runs at 7 on a road, with Haddin moving up to 6

This.

Also for what it's worth, Hughes needs to get back in this team.

And how Shaun Marsh doesn't get a look in is beyond me.

Rogers and Smith IMO belong in the team. Rogers' 81-ball 16 in the second innings is seriously underrated and in the context of the match was as good as a half-century. Smith hasn't fired yet but he is looking relatively comfortable whilst he is out there. They may not have the runs on the board but I firmly believe the two of them are better options than anybody who might replace them.

I'd even go so far as to say that if Watson was to be dropped, we should move Rogers to 3 and bring back Cowan to open. Probably an unpopular suggestion, but I think that both Rogers and Cowan compliment Warner at the top of the order very well.

Rogers and Smith IMO belong in the team. Rogers' 81-ball 16 in the second innings is seriously underrated and in the context of the match was as good as a half-century. Smith hasn't fired yet but he is looking relatively comfortable whilst he is out there. They may not have the runs on the board but I firmly believe the two of them are better options than anybody who might replace them.

I'd even go so far as to say that if Watson was to be dropped, we should move Rogers to 3 and bring back Cowan to open. Probably an unpopular suggestion, but I think that both Rogers and Cowan compliment Warner at the top of the order very well.

You'd go for North ahead of Cowan surely?

IMHO, the problem with the win in Brisbane is that none of the serious issues with the team structure were really addressed.

* Lyon is tidy but unmenancing

He took 4/60 on a fairly flat deck(all vital wickets), a deck that the highly regarded swann did nothing on.

He looked bloody menacing to me in this match, you don't have to bowl somebody around their legs and do the warnie style histrionics after a wicket to be a effective test spinner.

Rogers' 81-ball 16 in the second innings is seriously underrated and in the context of the match was as good as a half-century.

Very much this for me. We have been severely lacking in guys who can truely knuckle down and see off the new ball when needed. I do think we were a bit too harsh on Cowan and maybe even Khawaja for there lack of strike rate

Watson still needs to go. Still a very long way from convinced that Bailey belongs anywhere near this team.

Not going to see any changes though.
Love the old get rid of Watson without offering any alternatives post.

North etc. would replace Bailey before him.

And don't even say helicopter Hughes.

See above post. Plenty of options out there to replace Watson, given that he is not bowling. The guy is a spud, has been for literally years now.
Your cred kind of dropped when you labelled Watson a spud and said you'd include Cowan. Neither are spuds, but Watson is a better player than Cowan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume he would have bowled more if needed, why risk him first game of the summer when england collapsed twice?

If england are 3/220 on day 1 at adelaide and he won't bowl then we have an issue.
He has bowled less than ten overs in 19 of his last 26 innings. That's part-timer territory.

The bat and ball beside his name on the team sheet is looking increasingly hollow.

Your cred kind of dropped when you labelled Watson a spud and said you'd include Cowan. Neither are spuds, but Watson is a better player than Cowan.

Cowan's record: 1,001 runs, 2,425 balls faced, averages 31.28 off 75 balls (1 century, 6 50s)
Watson's record since Cowan's debut: 891 runs, 1,766 balls faced, averages 29.17 off 60 balls (1 century, 5 50s)

I know who I'd rather have at the top of the order.

Care to elaborate on why these two need to be in the side?

I could go on for days if you really want, but we can just leave it at Hughes being 24 and having 22 First Class Hundreds to his name, with a test average comparable to Shane Watson. The upside on him is enormous.

While Marsh is one of, if not the, most talented batsman in the country not to get a real chance. Not saying he is an automatic inclusion, but easily deserves another shot. Especially with some of the players we have playing in front of him.

We've dug deep enough into our bowling stocks with all these blokes down without having to 'rest' someone and play Bollinger.

The resting will come when Bird and Patto are fit.

I could go on for days if you really want, but we can just leave it at Hughes being 24 and having 22 First Class Hundreds to his name, with a test average comparable to Shane Watson. The upside on him is enormous.
Hughes has been belting Shield attacks for years and then barely offering a whimper for Australia. I'm not saying he should never get another chance but there is not compelling reason to think this trend will change.
While Marsh is one of, if not the, most talented batsman in the country not to get a real chance. Not saying he is an automatic inclusion, but easily deserves another shot. Especially with some of the players we have playing in front of him.
Marsh may be "talented" but he also wastes it. He has 8 FC hundreds in a career spanning 13 seasons. By comparison Steven Smith has 9 hundreds from 30 less matches and George Bailey has 14 from 17 more. Talented or not, Marsh's numbers are incredibly underwhelming for a player who is continually on the cusp of Australian selection.

I know where you are going with this, but in practice i just don't see it working. I really don't understand the hate for Hughes, but obviously wouldn't have he and Warner as the opening pair. While Rogers and Cowan shouldn't be played in the same team.

Smith is not a test player, he has very limited scoring areas/shots and the patience comparable to that of a small puppy.

Similarly, (although not to be dropped for at least another 3 tests) Bailey's red ball game doesn't seem up to scratch. His footwork and play against the swinging/cutting ball, coupled with an abysmal sheffield shield average, doesn't hold him in good stead.

There is no justification whatsoever for Watson to be in the team without bowling a significant number of overs. For the last three years he has averaged 30 or lower with the bat.

It's disgraceful that he has consistently been the worst performed member of our top six for a long, long time, and yet he remains in the team when so many other players have been dropped.

He took 4/60 on a fairly flat deck(all vital wickets), a deck that the highly regarded swann did nothing on.

He looked bloody menacing to me in this match, you don't have to bowl somebody around their legs and do the warnie style histrionics after a wicket to be a effective test spinner.

Yep, I knew someone would take me to task over Lyon. Personally, I'm a fan of his... and I'm happy to have him in the team. And I thought his bowling was very solid and made appropriate use of the conditions. But it doesn't change the fact that he's not particularly penetrative... that's not a criticism, or a call for him to be dropped. Just the truth.

Hughes has been belting Shield attacks for years and then barely offering a whimper for Australia. I'm not saying he should never get another chance but there is not compelling reason to think this trend will change.

Define "barely offering a whimper" ?

When he first came on to the scene he clearly had deficiencies in his technique against an outswinging ball, hence why his averaged dropped a little. Has corrected this flaw and is a lot better off now that he was dropped back when he was so young. However, now there is no reason for him not to be in the team

I know where you are going with this, but in practice i just don't see it working. I really don't understand the hate for Hughes, but obviously wouldn't have he and Warner as the opening pair. While Rogers and Cowan shouldn't be played in the same team.
I like him a lot. He clearly has talent, and I really admire his determination and application - every time a flaw has been exposed he's worked hard to try and fix it. But he's averaged mid-20s over his last 45 innings, which span 4 years. At a certain point you have to give up on the bloke, at least for the time-being.

I don't see a big problem with Cowan and Rogers in the same side. Nothing wrong with two accumulators at the top of the order. JMO.

Smith is not a test player, he has very limited scoring areas/shots and the patience comparable to that of a small puppy.
There are a lot of criticisms that can be made of Smith, but lack of patience is not one of them. He has played many measured innings for both NSW and Australia.

His main issue is a technical one - playing too far away from his body. It leaves him very vulnerable to good pace bowling. Nonetheless he has put a lot of work into it, and is improving steadily. He is the one young prospect I have seen who seems to have the application and foundations to develop into a very good Test batsman.

There is much of a young Steve Waugh about him, really.

There is no justification whatsoever for Watson to be in the team without bowling a significant number of overs. For the last three years he has averaged 30 or lower with the bat.

Gotta think that this series is his last chance. He's basically living off a purple patch back in 2009-2010, and done pretty much SFA since... notwithstanding his innings at The Oval, which probably bought him a little bit of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back