Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hughes and Khawaja are the future of Australian top order batting, and they are both left handed. While Khawaja may not deserve a spot right this second, Hughes is a different story

Khawaja is more useless than Hughes against spin and that is saying something as Hughes is dreadful. We can't have more than 3 left handers in our XI. If you were saying Doolan or Silk, maybe. Both right handers and have form.

Bomber is right. Swann is far more deadly against lefties and he may be our big bogie man in Adelaide. No reason to give him any uppers for the match by picking lefties, especially ones that he has made a mickey of before.

Exactly there is a massive reason we have gone from 6 lefties to 3, and the 3 that are left, one is Johnson (picked as a bowler), and two are our openers who both play spin well.

While there are a couple of players I would like to see in the team ahead of a couple currently playing, I'd prefer to go in with an unchanged team.

Lets give them more than 1 test in the series.

Rogers in his short test career has struggled badly vs spin.

Disagree, he isn't the best player but he isn't a muppet either. Once he is in he plays spin adequately. I would rather him playing Swann than Hughes!

Bout the only leftie you could pick is North as he can play spin and has played Swann well before, but who'd really want to see him back in the team?

Given his current form, me.

Reborn as an opener without the burden of captaincy.

But I have no desire to drop Rogers, so he stays out for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Khawaja's problem is more than being weak against spin and it's more than being green. He has a fundamental inability to score off good balls. In state cricket he can wait for the couple of loose ones you get every over and thrash them, but at international level they just aren't there. So he gets pinned down, can't rotate the strike, pressure builds and he inevitably gets out.

I'd be happy to persist with him if he showed some signs of improvement, but he seems to have little interest in fixing it. When Hughes was dropped for being weak on the short ball, he went away and worked at it. When he came back he still struggled, but he'd improved. Then he went to India and was useless against spin. By the time we got to England he'd worked out a way to survive, if not exactly thrive, against Swan. Not spectacular results, but clear progress.

Khawaja has been picked and dropped a ton of times and seems to have learned nothing from it. Until he learns the knack of scoring 1s and 2s off good bowling, I don't care how many runs he plunders in the Shield. He needs to recognise the problems in his game and take some steps to rectify them.

The team will be unchanged but I'd bring North in for Watson who's unfit and horribly out of form.

Warner
Rogers
North
Clarke
Smith
Bailey
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

Surely North has moved ahead of Hughes and Khawja should a top order spot open up. Sure he's had a chance, but not as many as the other two. And I'm not a fan of Cricket Australia stamping cricketers papers, if a bloke is playing great cricket, he deserves to be considered. Great to see a few older blokes back making runs, North, White, even Marsh made a ton the other day. Puts a bit of pressure on our batsmen.

Unless Watson can bowl his proper quota of overs I'd probably drop him. I'm sick of him just throwing his wicket away. Now I'd bring in Phil Hughes (don't attack me over my love for him) because we are playing at the Adelaide Oval, a ground he has had plenty of success at and scored a double century there a week or so ago. He'd also get an extended run in the team. So...

IN: Phil Hughes
OUT: Shane Watson

Surely North has moved ahead of Hughes and Khawja should a top order spot open up. Sure he's had a chance, but not as many as the other two. And I'm not a fan of Cricket Australia stamping cricketers papers, if a bloke is playing great cricket, he deserves to be considered. Great to see a few older blokes back making runs, North, White, even Marsh made a ton the other day. Puts a bit of pressure on our batsmen.

Not as many as the other two?

Khawaja's 8 or 9 vs Norths 20 odd...
Where the other two are mid 20's, and North is turning 35.

There will be no drastic changes this series, especially if we keep winning. But at some point needs to be moved on to the young guys to get them ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back