Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. Carlton, Sun 29/05, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep sounds like Cox is good to go. That releases Cameron back to the forward line where he kicked a good set shot goal last week before he was called up to ruck the rest of the match.. That bumps somebody out of the forward line…. And with Ginni and Elliot back in the 22 I still wonder where McCreery sits. So wouldn’t shock me to see him on the sub bench. Brown then is an extra mid we will need. Daicos is also a possibility but he doesn’t look like he needs a rest , and there’s a bye in three weeks anyway. Besides if you rest him then presumably you don’t make him sub either, so another player has to come in. With no VFL last week that player might miss games two weeks running.
Sorry I got to this after the fact, good points with the extra mid rotation, I would have been happy having Billy go through there more though, and keep Beau in the forward line too fir his pressure down there

Tyler seemed like a good sub option as he covered a few areas if needed. Good they are backing him in though

Will be watching this with 2 ten year old boys that I have turned from Blues supporters to Pie supporters. Bought them a cap and scarf.

Two sets of parents are not happy!:)
You've clearly shown them the error of their ways - good job!

He’s got the traits you look for in a lesser best 22 player and imo is a perfect system fit for the way we are trying to play, he’s been down on form since coming back from injury but offers more than some still in imo

I'm a big fan of Beau. One of my favourites. I get the decision to drop him though because his form has been poo since he returned from illness.

Last edited:
Hey Chris, I do apologise for doubting you have some friends who play for Collingwood. More power to you.

When I was a young bloke working at the State Bank of Victoria in Highton, I used to work with Andrew Wills. The ex Geelong player who got into some trouble. This was when he had hair.

We became quite friendly, playing darts together at lunchtime, and hitting the Geelong Hotel on the weekend. Billy and Barry would often be there as well.

I thought I was pretty cool, even though I hated Geelong.

Surrounded by beautiful women who ignored me completely, whilst listening to the inane conversation of three complete morons, I realised that I didn’t belong.

From that point on I was a lot happier. This is not a judgement on your social groups, just a story from my past.

PS - Andrew Wills wore the same shirt every time we went out. Already short on cash from punting. What followed is public record.
"thiefff..." as crowds on the wing would murmur as he ran past them.

Was a great player Willsy... absolutely dominated in some patches after moving to Fremantle.

I also worked at the GH around that time...

"thiefff..." as crowds on the wing would murmur as he ran past them.

Was a great player Willsy... absolutely dominated in some patches after moving to Fremantle.

I also worked at the GH around that time...
I was the bloke with a stubby of Carlton Cold in my mouth, sculling no hands whilst attempting some sort of stupid dance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not just tackles, it’s catching defenders holding the ball and punishing them with goals. Most of his pressure is just pushing a player half a second after they kick it
He causes rushed kicks and turnovers. I can't say I like the decision.

I think both Henry and WHE up forward makes us unbalanced.

Just put them on either flank. Perfect balance.

It’s not just tackles, it’s catching defenders holding the ball and punishing them with goals. Most of his pressure is just pushing a player half a second after they kick it

I'm a big fan of Beau, love what the kid can do but Kappa is right about his current impact. It's not enough. Pains me to say it because I enjoy being right.

If Ollie can have a stint in the 2s, so can McCreery.

Hopefully he takes full advantage of a week or 2 in the 2s and comes back to f* s* up.

I'm a big fan of Beau, love what the kid can do but Kappa is right about his current impact. It's not enough. Pains me to say it because I enjoy being right.

If Ollie can have a stint in the 2s, so can McCreery.

Hopefully he takes full advantage of a week or 2 in the 2s.
I think he'll be the sub. I'd have no qualms with him being dropped if we brought in a small forward, but think we've gone in unbalanced, unless Elliott is going to play a different forward role.

I think he'll be the sub. I'd have no qualms with him being dropped if we brought in another small forward, but think we've gone in unbalanced.

Billy does what Beau can do but better; that's the hill I'm going to die on tonight. I think Elliot pushed him out. He is not a 1:1 replacement with Tyler Brown.

I consider McCreery a very important player for us and wouldn't want him out for long.

Billy does what Beau can do but better; that's the hill I'm going to die on tonight. I think Elliot pushed him out. He is not a 1:1 replacement with Tyler Brown.

I consider McCreery a very important player for us and wouldn't want him out for long.
I actually edited my post before you responded by suggesting that it could work if Elliott plays a different forward role. Eg. not the full forward target.

So I think we're on the same page. For me though, I'd like to see WHE out of the forward line if Henry and Cameron are in it. Not enough loose ball or defensive heat.

I think he was pushed out more by WHE and Henry both having good games against Freo. I hope it works, but don't think we'll lock it in as effectively and get as many repeat entry or messily worked goals. WHE, Henry, Cameron and Ginni isn't a physically impressive forward group for contests or pressure. It's one too many who don't smash in for me.

Last edited:
I actually edited my post before you responded by suggesting that it could work if Elliott plays a different forward role. Eg. not the full forward target.

So I think we're on the same page. For me though, I'd like to see WHE out of the forward line if Henry and Cameron are in it. Not enough loose ball or defensive heat.

I think he was pushed out more by WHE and Henry both having good games against Freo. I hope it works, but don't think we'll lock it in as effectively and get as many repeat entry or messily worked goals. WHE, Henry, Cameron and Ginni isn't a physically impressive forward group for contests. It's one too many who don't smash in for me.
Ollie is deceptively quick over a short distance - an example being his chasedown of Selwood in the Geelong game.

I think he was pushed out more by WHE and Henry both having good games against Freo. I hope it works, but don't think we'll lock it in as effectively and get as many repeat entry or messily worked goals. WHE, Henry, Cameron and Ginni isn't a physically impressive forward group for contests. It's one too many who don't smash in for me.

I see your point and not going to argue against it. By dropping McCreery we elect to forego the pressure he brings and are instead backing our ability to outscore them. 🤷‍♂️

I hope it works out well.

Ollie is deceptively quick over a short distance - an example being his chasedown of Selwood in the Geelong game.

There's that. We might not be giving Ollie's defensive game enough credit.

Having said that, it's a stretch to assert that he's a replacement for McCreery on that front. :)

I see your point and not going to argue against it. By dropping McCreery we elect to forego the pressure he brings and are instead backing our ability to outscore them. 🤷‍♂️

I hope it works out well.
Yeah it's a trade off. More likely to take marks in the hotspot and kick clean goals on the lead. Less effective at ground level or when they've got the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. Carlton, Sun 29/05, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back