Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. Carlton, Sun 29/05, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we could get Treoloar back... :)

But yeah, I think probably Sidebottom goes at end of this year or next.

Pendlebury end of next year probably.

Howe still has his speed and leap so not sure about him.
It'll only be injuries or will that stop him, otherwise Howe will be able to play for a long time. Even once he loses some athleticism, he'll still be athletically fine, with an outstanding skillset for a defender.

COLLINGWOOD

B: B.Maynard, D.Moore, J.Noble

HB: S.Pendlebury, J.Howe, I.Quaynor

C: S.Sidebottom, T.Adams, J.Daicos

HF: N.Daicos, B.Mihocek, O.Henry

F: J.Ginnivan, J.De Goey, J.Elliott

Foll: D.Cameron, P.Lipinski, J.Crisp

Inter: T.Brown, N.Murphy, B.McCreery, W.Hoskin-Elliott

IN: O.Henry

OUT: M.Cox (finger)

Not expecting many changes for the Magpies ahead of a big Sunday clash with Carlton. Ollie Henry is a certainty to come into the starting 22 after his four goals as the medi-sub in the big win over Fremantle. The man he replaced on the field, Mason Cox, will likely miss with his finger injury. Jordan Roughead will be close to returning and there will be consideration given to including Aiden Begg in Cox’s absence. But the Magpies will know the Blues are a little down on big man power with Harry McKay and Marc Pittonet still out. Tyler Brown might be used as the spare parts man in the ruck as he was last week.

Team Tips: They’ll likely have to find a replacement for injured big man Mason Cox, who faces time on the sidelines after suffering a finger injury against Fremantle. Aiden Begg could come straight back into the side after being left out of the Round 10 line-up. Elsewhere, surely Ollie Henry gets a gig in the starting 22 after his four-goal haul as medical sub? If the Pies go that way, Beau McCreery might be the unlucky one to make way. And if Jordan Roughead is deemed fit to play, Nathan Murphy might miss out. Or the Pies could replace Cox with Roughead. So still a few selection conundrums despite that awesome win over the Dockers.

Just on this....

Saw a stat earlier in the year (maybe round 3 or 4) that Carlton fielded a team and their avg draft pick was 16.
no idea on the accuracy of the stat, but given their list, could believe it.

Dont quote me but think I saw a stat the other day and Melbourne have like 16 first rounders in theirs. More then GWS fielded in their prime after all the draft concessions.

How many top-10 do we have?

Nick Daicos, Pendlebury, DeGoey, and....... (we had) Jayden Stevenson, Sharenberg and Freeman, Reid, etc... but then we're back to 17 years ago.

How many do Carlton have?

Weitering, Walsh, Jack Martin, Paddy Dow, Petrevski-Seeton (what happened to him?), Weitering, McKay.

That's twice as many in the current teams. And they've got a couple of number 1s.

Why include players who aren't on our list.

We have Daicos, Pendles and Degoey as top 5 picks. Typically these are the ones who are match winners and tide turners.

Pendles is at the end.
Degoey can't find his consistency.
Daicos having a great debut season and will be a star but imo I hope we don't waste his talent across HBF past year 1.
The reason the hype on him has died down is because ATM he is largely just accumulating player rather then breaking a game open type. It's OK playing a role within the team well and having a great debut year regardless.

Would love to recruit the next Buckley/Martin/Petracca to pair with him.

In terms of first rounders we have Moore Degoey Quaynor Henry Pendles Daicos Steele WHE Grundy.

2 aren't far off retirement.
WHE is a down hill skier.
Grundy, Moore and Degoey hotting prime years.
Henry and Daicos fit the profile moving fwd.

Tempted to go no changes beyond Cox out for Henry. Carlton aren't reliant upon two genuine ruckmen with Pittonet out. Would rather try and go mobile.

Tyler Brown looked by far his best. Showed a bit more of a vertical leap flying for marking contests than I'd ever seen from him before.

Listening to Bucks, you could tell how desperately he wanted T.Brown to make it as an inside mid. However, as Bucks mentioned he just doesn't find enough of the pill. Maybe the 2nd ruck role will work for him temporarily and potentially increase his confidence to win more contested footy, making him a mainstay in the long term.

Listening to Bucks, you could tell how desperately he wanted T.Brown to make it as an inside mid. However, as Bucks mentioned he just doesn't find enough of the pill. Maybe the 2nd ruck role will work for him temporarily and potentially increase his confidence to win more contested footy, making him a mainstay in the long term.

Given the relationship with Gavin Brown I'd say the whole club not only a wanting them to succeed but going above and beyond to make sure they do.

If they weren't Browns but smiths the both of them wouldn't be 5 and 6 year players.

Carlton was off a 5 day break and rife with sickness. Still that second quarter was probably the best by any team in 2022.

Interesting that any time Collingwood has a sniffle, Sammy Edmund falls over himself to tweet about it.

Apparently the Blues were crook last week and we didn't hear a peep out of him, and he admitted to knowing about it. Coincidentally, happens to be a Carlton fan.

Given the relationship with Gavin Brown I'd say the whole club not only a wanting them to succeed but going above and beyond to make sure they do.

If they weren't Browns but smiths the both of them wouldn't be 5 and 6 year players.

Hmm Tyler worth persisting with and has played what 20 odd games? Cal on the other hand has been given more than enough chances.

Besides the point, Tyler played well on Sunday and deserves another crack at it.

Not when you have 3 900k players in Grundy, Moore and Degoey.

Nick Daicos will have a new contract on offer too likely much higher then his current one.

Reef, Oliver, Quaynor etc all likely to have significant increase on next contracts.

We also don’t want to repeat past mistakes of blowing the cap and having no wiggle room to fix the midfield through FA and trades. The odd player sure but best to have bulk of it through drafting imo.

FA is where we should be looking for Rougheads replacement.

There is not a chance in hell that these 3 combined would be on 2.7 mil per season.

Hmm Tyler worth persisting with and has played what 20 odd games? Cal on the other hand has been given more than enough chances.

Besides the point, Tyler played well on Sunday and deserves another crack at it.

Do you know how many, even country, players would put both to the sword?

I know a quite a few players over the years who could of made the grade at AFL and didn't even get looked at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I’ve seen of them this year,Pendlebury could play another two years and Howe could play another four.They’re both ageing very gracefully.Sidebottom,on the other hand,not so much.Alhtough he was a bit better on Sunday,

Cripps v T Brown. There's a contest that will draw fans in crowds. If we want to find out if Brown can play, pit him against Cripps as second ruck then have him tag him as a midfielder. A genuine make or break scenario. Do it.
If Tyler holds Cripps to zero goals and <20 touches; we win, Blues lose and Tyler wins some Brownlow votes.

I don't think we need Roughead this week even if he is fit, don't see a match up for him. Carlton are playing short without McKay, McGovern and Pittonet so I think we need to match that and stay small. Obviously midfield and clearances are the Carlton's strength I think having Brown as a 2nd ruck will help us at ground level, DeKoning and Silvagni have been winning a lot of clearances for them. We got killed in the mids by Footscary and that is the danger again here.

Therefore I agree with the consensus
Out: Cox
In: Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. Carlton, Sun 29/05, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back