Preview Changes/Preview – Round 8 vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weak dog defence might have had something to do with that.
100% but I think we also get a lot more from having an extra small down there. We need to be able to pressure at ground level or you end up with defences just walking it out like Brisbane did a couple of weeks ago.

I agree we're trying to change things up but I do think we still make things hard for ourselves. I still think we're too tall down there and it feels like we're trying to force a three tall structure that doesn't work. Like Petty is clearly still hampered by his foot injury and hasn't fired a shot all year but we keep playing him. The best we looked was against the Dogs when we were forced by injury to only play two talls.
Gonna be made worse when we replace McAdam for a small.

Gonna be made worse when we replace McAdam for a small.
McAdam is definitely someone who can play tall or small and knows how to put pressure on. If we swapped Petty for him I'd be happy. You're right we'll probably drop Billings or something.

McAdam is definitely someone who can play tall or small and knows how to put pressure on. If we swapped Petty for him I'd be happy. You're right we'll probably drop Billings or something.

Yeah, I want to see him come in and cause havoc and take a few hangers.

More likely he comes in and we bomb long to a contest where Disco, Gawn, Van Rooyen, Petty, McAdam and Kozi all go for the same mark with Fritta waiting at the back.

More likely he comes in and we bomb long to a contest where Disco, Gawn, Van Rooyen, Petty, McAdam and Kozi all go for the same mark with Fritta waiting at the back.
That's straight sets 🧬

The Melbourne way.
1714352747699.jpeg

I agree we're trying to change things up but I do think we still make things hard for ourselves. I still think we're too tall down there and it feels like we're trying to force a three tall structure that doesn't work. Like Petty is clearly still hampered by his foot injury and hasn't fired a shot all year but we keep playing him. The best we looked was against the Dogs when we were forced by injury to only play two talls.

Yeah agree on that. If we're going to keep relying on forward pressure, which is still super important for us even with the changed delivery, then I don't understand why we keep picking three talls - Especially when a lot of the time one has been Brown and the other an under prepared Petty who contribute nothing in that area. Then you have Fritsch, who is purely a finisher and it leaves too much to too little.

Really think the coaches need to pick a structure/roles and then actually give the team a chance to get used to it. Hard to consistently improve the forward delivery when we have such an inconsistent structure.

During the preseason trackwatchers were saying McAdam was being used like a key forward in terms of setup, role etc, so fingers crossed that's what they roll with once he actually plays.

Some decent discussion in here.

I think the club knows we need a fit and firing Petty to be any chance this year and the best way to get him up to speed is play him at AFL level even if he's still a little under-cooked. It's not like he's keeping anyone good out of the team anyway, so I think we just have to endure his lack of form for now knowing that it's better for us in the long term.

During the preseason trackwatchers were saying McAdam was being used like a key forward in terms of setup, role etc, so fingers crossed that's what they roll with once he actually plays.

Used as a key forward at Melbourne = stand still so it’s easier for our mids to kick it on your head so your opponent can push you under it and spare defender can spoil or mark. Then show no effort to chase or tackle because you’re a big slow key forward like Bailey Fritsch.

Love doing these never actually gonna happen changes:

Out: Sparrow, Billings
In: Tholstrup, Sestan

Geelong absolutely smashed Carlton on the turnover. Would prefer some lively half forwards who can focus on applying pressure and getting to the feet of our talls than Sparrow and Billings chugging along in the wake of their opponents.

Following week we need to get McAdam in for one of those half forwards, and if Petty doesn’t show something replace him with Fullarton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much doubt McAdam plays if he was on a minutes restriction in VFL last week.
Didn't Petty come in off basically the same prep? I'd hope we hold fire on McAdam if he's not ready but would hardly be surprised if he's rushed back.

It's all about the middle this week IMO.

Cats are vulnerable IF (and it's a big if) we can get our clearance game up and firing. We're the best team in the comp for stoppage scoring differential, Geelong are 12th. Clearly Geelong's game plan is turnover/rebound football, they're ranked 17th for clearance differential, so our best shot is to maximise that part of our game. We simply need to be winning the ball in the middle and getting it forward. Sounds like classic Melbourne, but we're 11th for clearance differential this year.

However, Geelong are number 1 for scores from turnover differential, and that's our big weakness against them. Best way to take that away is to limit them getting out front of stoppage and getting high inside 50s. Geelong average 24 more points than their opposition on scoring from turnovers, we average 2.7.

In short - Win clearances and don't turn it over much. That's our best shot IMO.

I come in peace.

Agree with the bolded. Your MF is brutal and loaded with Elite Mids.
We have Stanley, Bruhn, Atkins and Guthrie. Not hacks - but not stacking up against yours. We keep MF minutes down overall to keep the cycle fresh... but I dont think that will work here over the duration of 4 quarters.

Our back 6 to 8 is probably having their best time at the moment but Im concerned about the volume and quality of I50 you can generate from the MF centre dominance from the front side.

WE can take a beating but im concerned the wall might break at some point.

As for handling Jezza... he just kinda does whatever he feels like and not even he has a plan.

There was was post about Tom McDonald I think going with him. Might work and it would be interesting to see but no one has run with him up and back all game yet and been able to nullify him.

Ive called for oppo to hard tag Miers - as hes gotta learn hoe to beat it - and this might be the week. We might have Mark O Connor run a tag from the centre on Oliver or Trac.... gotta try and slow them somehow.

And I havent even mentioned Gawn. We made him a household name in Boris' 300th at KP all those years ago and he hasn't looked back since. I was pissed as I live in LA and had timed a trip home for it and Max ripped us to pieces.

Stanley got peeled by Pittonet last week so the spanking Max might hand out this week could be unchartable. I doubt we play Conway who will be good but isnt ready for a full game of Gawn yet. Best we can hope for is Stanley plays up to the level of oppo ruck and gets close to breaking even.

We are unbeaten and Id luv to keep it going - its not peaking too early more setting us up to manage s**t later in the year... but I reckon this is the week the Hoops colours get lowered.

Heres to a good game and no injuries.

GO Catters

Another question... who plays as your 3rd tall KPF?

We might bring Neale (203 cm KPF in 4th year) in with Tomma and Jezza - May and Lever are great down back but who plays 3rd tall for your lot?

Thanks

GO Catters

I come in peace.

Agree with the bolded. Your MF is brutal and loaded with Elite Mids.
We have Stanley, Bruhn, Atkins and Guthrie. Not hacks - but not stacking up against yours. We keep MF minutes down overall to keep the cycle fresh... but I dont think that will work here over the duration of 4 quarters.

Our back 6 to 8 is probably having their best time at the moment but Im concerned about the volume and quality of I50 you can generate from the MF centre dominance from the front side.

WE can take a beating but im concerned the wall might break at some point.

As for handling Jezza... he just kinda does whatever he feels like and not even he has a plan.

There was was post about Tom McDonald I think going with him. Might work and it would be interesting to see but no one has run with him up and back all game yet and been able to nullify him.

Ive called for oppo to hard tag Miers - as hes gotta learn hoe to beat it - and this might be the week. We might have Mark O Connor run a tag from the centre on Oliver or Trac.... gotta try and slow them somehow.

And I havent even mentioned Gawn. We made him a household name in Boris' 300th at KP all those years ago and he hasn't looked back since. I was pissed as I live in LA and had timed a trip home for it and Max ripped us to pieces.

Stanley got peeled by Pittonet last week so the spanking Max might hand out this week could be unchartable. I doubt we play Conway who will be good but isnt ready for a full game of Gawn yet. Best we can hope for is Stanley plays up to the level of oppo ruck and gets close to breaking even.

We are unbeaten and Id luv to keep it going - its not peaking too early more setting us up to manage s**t later in the year... but I reckon this is the week the Hoops colours get lowered.

Heres to a good game and no injuries.

GO Catters

Some good call outs mate.

The intrigue for me is the Dees really need to get their game style back to have a shot. We've been poor for stoppages and inside 50s this year by our standards and that's our best counter for your rebounding style. The irony being sometimes our stoppage work is worse when Gawn dominates, he can get sharked a fair bit. With our horrible use by foot last week as well it's a bit of a perfect storm against a Cats team that absolutely feasts on turnovers.

Dees are best in the comp for stoppage score differential.
Cats are best in the comp for points from turnover differential.

It's almost a battle of the game styles of the last few years.

Another question... who plays as your 3rd tall KPF?

We might bring Neale (203 cm KPF in 4th year) in with Tomma and Jezza - May and Lever are great down back but who plays 3rd tall for your lot?

Thanks

GO Catters

May will get Tomma, TMac perhaps will get Cameron, Lever will be Lever, but then we also have Howes (191cm) and Hore (190cm) who may potentially both be in the backline as well and can play tall-ish.

TBH I wouldn't go tall against us in the backline, it plays into our strengths. Ground balls inside defensive 50 are our kryptonite.

Some good call outs mate.

The intrigue for me is the Dees really need to get their game style back to have a shot. We've been poor for stoppages and inside 50s this year by our standards and that's our best counter for your rebounding style. The irony being sometimes our stoppage work is worse when Gawn dominates, he can get sharked a fair bit. With out horrible use by foot last week as well it's a bit of a perfect storm against a Cats team that absolutely feasts on turnovers.

Dees are best in the comp for stoppage score differential.
Cats are best in the comp for points from turnover differential.

It's almost a battle of the game styles of the last few years.
This is where I see our biggest issue - quelling the Gawn "to whoever the heck he wants it to go to bc Stanley cant get near him" taps and Trac, Viney, Oliver just going unabated to the F50

Our D50 being good but not good enough to hold this all game long IMO.. its just volume

We will see.

GO Catters

This is where I see our biggest issue - quelling the Gawn "to whoever the * he wants it to go to bc Stanley cant get near him" taps and Trac, Viney, Oliver just going unabated to the F50

Our D50 being good but not good enough to hold this all game long IMO.. its just volume

We will see.

GO Catters

Gawn is just as likely to tap it to Geelong's advantage as he is ours. If he dominates it'll be marks around the ground and maybe a goal from 50. Doubt it'll help our clearance game any.

Us against Brisbane was horrible to watch. Let's not do that again.

That bloody tap to McClunge. Horrendous.

Gawn is just as likely to tap it to Geelong's advantage as he is ours. If he dominates it'll be marks around the ground and maybe a goal from 50. Doubt it'll help our clearance game any.

Us against Brisbane was horrible to watch. Let's not do that again.

That bloody tap to McClunge. Horrendous.
To be fair, he's leading the AFL in hitouts to advantage.

I'm very pessimistic about this game, which is unlike me. I can usually construct a way we'll win, but too many of our stars are in poor form. We're also way too tall up forward. Cats by plenty.

Changes:
Without Hibberd, Jordon and Brayshaw we lose a lot of flexibility. The cupboard is starting to look bare.

Out - Any one of the tall forwards (probably Petty, but no chance of that)
In - Laurie for a full game, Hore to sub

I'm very pessimistic about this game, which is unlike me. I can usually construct a way we'll win, but too many of our stars are in poor form. We're also way too tall up forward. Cats by plenty.

Changes:
Without Hibberd, Jordon and Brayshaw we lose a lot of flexibility. The cupboard is starting to look bare.

Out - Any one of the tall forwards (probably Petty, but no chance of that)
In - Laurie for a full game, Hore to sub
I feel like we are 05/06 dees good but can't compete with the best. I feel Hibberd and Jordon aren't big losses but Brayshaw is imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back