Preview Changes/Preview v Carlton @MCG – Semi Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Choco stopped being our goalkicking coach? What the hell has happened? We were #1 accurate team early in the season. Probably bottom 2 or 3 now. Chandler, TMac, Fritta, Koz all usually beautiful set shots. All turned to rubbish.

Good question. Some of it is poor decision making too. Fritsch going around the body on an angle he should kick drop punt.

What the hell was Smith doing having a set shot from 55m. Clarry same from 52m.

Also a heap of panicking with snaps.

Good question. Some of it is poor decision making too. Fritsch going around the body on an angle he should kick drop punt.

Absolutely no doubt some poor decision making and skill errors. But we already know a lot of our stars/mids/forwards have these issues. So why tf aren't we making it a priority to improve in these areas? We clearly have the defence set up. Zoning is great. We can pressure when needed. We have corrected the stoppage issues. I know it's not easy to turn someone around from a poor kick to at least a good kick, but we've done it before. Should be working on technique and decision making with these blokes. Especially the blokes trying to hit F50 targets. So is Choco still involved in this? He should be taking Trac, Oliver, Vines etc under his wing and his only job is to improve their effective kicks by 10% or at least improve. Even Ben Brown has gone backwards in his accuracy. So wtf had happened?

watching JVR ignore our mids running past and the two blokes free inside 50 just to turn around and hit the belly of the ball while attempting a snap from 40m out really summed up our night

I’d do roughly the same and just instruct our mids to either lower eyes or grubber it in there.

Pointless bombing it high to sh1t talls. Absolute fodder for Weitering.

No Grundy please.
The deeper we go the better the defensive structures will be, so we can’t be kicking it in like that anymore. We say ‘can’t’ but it’s going to happen because we don’t have A grade field kicks.

Honestly, we can probably take away the fact we kept the best side to 60 points. I don’t necessarily think we are totally shot, but we are now having to go a much harder way to a GF and needing to travel to a hostile ground if we even beat Carlton. Our conversion has been a lot better the second half of this year, so it is possible. We are seriously missing Melksham. He can play tall and small and his kicking is sensational.

I think if we get to a PF anything can happen. I’d much prefer Port than Brisbane as I think Brisbane have a lot to prove.

Post 2: Players

Out: Gus (Head fallen off, he got better), JVR (stupid), TMac (useless), Laurie (invisible), Smith (only good as sub so move him there)

In: Woey, Spargo, Tomo, Schache

Would also jettison Salem into the sun but can't think of who can replace him right now so he can play.

IMv, this was a psychological signal that we were weak mentally at that moment. A shot he would normally kick with a regular drop punt, he tried to bend it and missed.

A nicely skilled type player who buckled under pressure. It sent to wrong message to the rest of the team

Having all of Smith, JVR and Tmac last night turned out to be a bad move. In hindsight we needed to select Jordon to allow Petracca to play predominately forward as the main "replacement" for Melksham (instead of bringing in a lumbering Tmac)

Assuming JVR is suspended I'd be going for something like this:

In: Jordon, Tomlinson (he makes May and Lever infinitely better), Spargo (Chandler to sub)

Out: Brayshaw (inj), JVR (susp), Laurie (sub)

We need Petracca to play at least 70% up forward next week. Rivers to push into the midfield more with Tomlinson in the team, also rotate ANB, Pickett and Petracca at times as well.

Also without Oliver Viney was a gun, since Oliver's return Viney has dropped right off. Get Petracca forward and I reckon Viney plays better this week as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don’t beat Carlton next week then it’s got to be huge questions asked and changes in the footy department.

They fell over the line in a low standard game and McKay is out (Tommo won’t be happy)

Deckchairs unfortunately.

Let's just hope the players have more belief in their ability than we do. We have lost games to teams in the past against teams with players with lots of outs and a handful of players with 20 games between them. Maybe we can do the same.

I agree with other posters in going with a smaller forwardline if need be. Just pick the fittest players with the most form (which is no one really considering Casey is out of finals).

Less square pegs into round holes and actually try and use some tactics to win a game for once.

It’s going to hardly matter. We know we will get 50 insure entries and we know with the way we move the ball we will put it up in the air for Docherty and Weitering. I’ve got faith in our backline, so it’ll probably be a ping pong all night between defensive arcs until someone pops up with a 3 minute cameo and kicks two goals to end the night.

All we had to do was get some magnets thrown about and kick straight twice and we are in a PF as opposed to an absolute hot bed of pressure against a side everyone will be cheering for. A side that knows they can win, exactly like us in 2018.

Let’s hope I am wrong.

Anyone know the last time a club has finished top 4 two years running to bow out straight sets both times? I'm sure it's happened, I just can't remember it.

Anyone know the last time a club has finished top 4 two years running to bow out straight sets both times? I'm sure it's happened, I just can't remember it.
I can't be be bothered looking but you'd think Geelong probably went through it at some stage considering they were making finals every year.

Hawthorn went out in straight sets in 2016 and 2018. **** we really need to win, would be so embarrassing.

Definitely hasn’t happened under the current structure. Teams that went out in straight sets since 2000;

Port - 01
WC - 07
Geelong - 14
Sydney - 15
Hawks - 16
Hawks - 18
Brisbane - 19
Brisbane - 21
Melbourne - 22

Hawthorn missed the 8 in 2017 so the last time they played 4 finals they were all losses, but not consecutive years.

Did Port do it in the early 2000s before the Choco Williams flag?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah, 2001. I think they lost to Brisbane week one and then hawthorn pipped them by a few points the week after. Hawthorn got very close to beating Essendon in the PF as well. Pretty sure Trent Croad hit the post with a few minutes to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back