Preview Changes/Preview v Carlton @MCG – Semi Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon our changes might end up a bit reliant on what we think the Blues do. If they play the two rucks and also bring in Silvagni I can see a world where Goody brings in Grundy and Tomlinson. Anyone catch the scratch match yesterday? Interested to hear how Spargo went, could be a chance if he looked good given the inside 50 woes.

Think hes referring to the Quaynor mark in the last quarter? Slick needed to attempt a spoil at a minimum. Really should have cleaned him up for dropping into the hole.
Ah yes. I do remember that.

Quaynor even said post game he was expecting a knee to the head.

Had that been a Petty or Melksham coming in then yes different result.

Ah yes. I do remember that.

Quaynor even said post game he was expecting a knee to the head.

Had that been a Petty or Melksham coming in then yes different result.

If Fritsch was Hodge or May Quaynor is spending the weekend in the hospital.

Don't mind the idea of Turner as a defensive tall forward, or even Schache - he's done that role before. Get one of them to stand Weitering all night.
Assume one of JJ/Harmes come in for Gus. Would rather Woey, gives a bit more run, though the other options better at the defensive mid role Gus can fill.
Spargo for Laurie, kid wasn't near it. Probably start Spargo and have Woe/JJ as sub.

Don't mind the idea of Turner as a defensive tall forward, or even Schache - he's done that role before. Get one of them to stand Weitering all night.
Assume one of JJ/Harmes come in for Gus. Would rather Woey, gives a bit more run, though the other options better at the defensive mid role Gus can fill.
Spargo for Laurie, kid wasn't near it. Probably start Spargo and have Woe/JJ as sub.
Whoever plays on Weitering will be useless all night anyway. So might as well play a Grundy or Schache on him and just not kick the ball their way. Knowing the IQ of our midfield, we'll probably aim for Weitering all night anyway.

May as well hope Schache can do what he did to Allir (and failed to do to Lever).
Yeah, if they insist on replacing JVR with an NQR tall, then Schache would be my preference. I'd even just drop T-Mac and have Schache and Smith as the talls, with Trac spending more time forward. Schache can just play the relief ruck role in that instance.

Its why I think it's brisbanes flag. They have guns on every line
Yeah outside of how well they defended I wasn't super impressed with Collingwood at all but Brisbane won't play into their hands like that. The flog lions will get it done

Zorko holding the Cup up with a sh1t-eating grin, biting on his flag medal. I’ll be switching the TV off well before that happens.

Maybe I need to watch the game but I can't recall Fritta shirking any contest to be honest?

Yeah he shirked a bunch. A really obvious one where a mark was taken right in front of him on a lead and he avoided all body contact. Was entitled to run straight through the Collingwood player he was there in plenty of time to spoil.

Yeah, if they insist on replacing JVR with an NQR tall, then Schache would be my preference. I'd even just drop T-Mac and have Schache and Smith as the talls, with Trac spending more time forward. Schache can just play the relief ruck role in that instance.
Yep. No way TMac deserves another crack at it. Have Smith and play Schache as the defensive forward on Weitering. TMac is an absolute liability out there. Go with Trac, Fritta and Koz as perma forwards. Those 3 need to kick the bulk of our score if we're a chance. I'd probably drop Chandler for Spargo too. Both are useless, but Spargo is at least capable of hitting a moving target once in awhile. JJ for Gus seems most likely. No to Harmes as he is mentally and physically shot.

IMO no point dropping TMac. He will be 'better' for the run, and Schache won't be playing as a leading forward. Regardless, its ****ing grim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO no point dropping TMac. He will be 'better' for the run, and Schache won't be playing as a leading forward. Regardless, its ******* grim.
Regardless of whether he gets some touch back, his lack of mobility is a complete and utter liability.

Not even trying to be OTT, but I'd genuinely rather Jefferson (who's nowhere near AFL ready), Turner (a defender), or no KPF at all in place of T-Mac. At least those guys can move.

It's actually quite sad watching McDonald lumber about – feels like I'm tuning into the E.J. Whitten Legends Game when he plays.

Yep. No way TMac deserves another crack at it. Have Smith and play Schache as the defensive forward on Weitering. TMac is an absolute liability out there. Go with Trac, Fritta and Koz as perma forwards. Those 3 need to kick the bulk of our score if we're a chance. I'd probably drop Chandler for Spargo too. Both are useless, but Spargo is at least capable of hitting a moving target once in awhile. JJ for Gus seems most likely. No to Harmes as he is mentally and physically shot.
Agree with most of this, but I wouldn't drop Chandler for Spargo. Chandler, while in a bit of a slump, can take the odd overhead mark, stick a tackle, crumb and kick it more than 35 metres – all things that Spargo is seemingly incapable of.

Play both if you must, but Chandler is comfortably better than Spargo IMO.

IMO no point dropping TMac. He will be 'better' for the run, and Schache won't be playing as a leading forward. Regardless, its ******* grim.
TMac needs 6 weeks at the level before he starts to show anything. He's notorious for that. He's cooked mate. He's a liability out there. He can't move. Can't lead, can't chase, struggling to compete in the air. Like BBB, he's done, and has been since last year. Embarrassing to think both are STILL under contract for 2024.

Agree with most of this, but I wouldn't drop Chandler for Spargo. Chandler, while in a bit of a slump, can take the odd overhead mark, stick a tackle, crumb and kick it more than 35 metres – all things that Spargo is seemingly incapable of.

Play both if you must, but Chandler is comfortably better than Spargo IMO.
Yeah, maybe. I don't really care for Spargo either. Our small forwards are doing f*** all anyway. All our stars have to fire to win this week anyway. Not sure Chandler/Spargo is going to make a scrap of difference.

I’ll honestly consider not watching it if TMac is picked again. Won’t put myself through it.

Last edited:
So yeah, with all that in mind, if I was picking the team, it'd be JVR, Gus and T-Mac out, Schache, Tomlinson and Woewodin/Spargo in.
  • Carlton will play two rucks. Tommo to take the resting ruck and free up Lever.
  • Rivers and Pickett to split Brayshaw's mid rotations, rather than going back to Jordon, who we already know will give us nothing.
  • Woewodin/Spargo to give us an extra forward rotation in place of a tall.
  • Schache to play defensive role on Weitering and act as relief ruck when Gawn needs a rest.
That's about the best I can muster with the players we have available. Fully expecting it'll just be Jordon and Brown/Grundy replacing JVR and Brayshaw though.

Out

TMac

JVR

Brayshaw

Laurie

In

Grundy

Tommo

Spargo

Jordan

Woey has shown more that Spargo, who has been really out of form this year. But at least he has finals experience.

Can't believe some posters here are suggesting Jordan as an in.

I'm not his biggest fan, but bringing Jordon in as a mid means more time for Trac forward. Harmes and Dunstan both injured, Gus obviously will miss, what else do you suggest?

For mine, being able to put Trac forward, particularly after what happened Thursday, far outweighs having Jordon in the midfield rotation in terms of plus and minus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back