Preview Changes: Round 12 vs Horks - Sat 1st June 1:15pm

Who are you tipping this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In the broadcast Roo said that Cook has a ton of talent with good offensive skills but needed to grow into his body and take on the contested stuff, which he’s now starting to do
He definitely has a few tricks. Looks a confidence player. Given we have been gifting games to some players for years I hope we give him a good run in the seniors to the end of the year. Has some tools which could make him a top 15 player in our 22 but could also be a complete bust.

He definitely has a few tricks. Looks a confidence player. Given we have been gifting games to some players for years I hope we give him a good run in the seniors to the end of the year. Has some tools which could make him a top 15 player in our 22 but could also be a complete bust.
Definitely rather try a player whose ceiling you can’t define than all players whose ceiling is very obvious.

Last edited:
In the broadcast Roo said that Cook has a ton of talent with good offensive skills but needed to grow into his body and take on the contested stuff, which he’s now starting to do

I was surprised how tall he was compared to the players that got around him after his goal, so that comment was interesting in terms of how they might want to develop him. He's a good size for a mobile player. When he gets involved you can see he has class.

I was surprised how tall he was compared to the players that got around him after his goal, so that comment was interesting in terms of how they might want to develop him. He's a good size for a mobile player. When he gets involved you can see he has class.
I think it’s the same with many young players, they come through based on their talent but the contested stuff at the top level is white hot and they need to be able to use their skills off the back of that. Some can, some are Rory Atkins types

Is Riley Thilthorpe's injury timeframe counting down in dog years?

I could have sworn they said it was a 12 week injury when it happened 2 weeks out from the season.

It's round 12 this week and he's still 5-7 weeks away.

Yeah I noticed that as well, originally 12-14 weeks which would pin his return as this or next week.

So now its basically 17-20 weeks, which is Burton-esque in its estimate.

So obviously Thilthorpe is our main guy as the 2nd ruck + 3rd forward. The question is are we mostly agreeing the order of our back ups on what we've seen this year?

1) Himmelberg:

Positives - Ball use around ground is typically very good in fact like Tex & Fog he seems capable of hitting accurate kicks to advantage of team mates when he goes fast. Extra height meaning a more challenging to match up on & probably a better outlet trying to exit D50 as a result. Has also this way of coming up clutch late in matches from time to time eg Showdown years back.

Negatives - Can be a bit soft. Not the best mark or especially tough in marking contests.

2) Burgess:

Positives - Bigger in size than Gollant so as above probably offers a bit more in certain areas. Seems to have found a way to hit the scoreboard in his matches. Has a very long leg. Seems to be pretty consistent in his effort & output even when we were diabolical early in year.

Negatives - Doesn't seem the most athletic guy eg aerially or speedy, perhaps also gets a little lost at times though is at a new club & limited AFL opportunity however.

3) Gollant:

Positives - You'd have to say looks a more talented & polished footballer than say Burgess when he can get the ball. Can compete a bit harder aerially & also offers better pressure at ground level.

Negatives - Size is a bit on the smaller side so less beneficial as a marking target to exit D50 & gets lost a bit in how to stay involved. Never really had that game where he's stood up to me and convince me there's something there to keep around.

What's everyone else's thoughts? It's a shame Gollant isn't a big bigger, feel like for the role he gets brought into play usually it does let him down & impact his ability to have an impact or benefit us. Burgess to me actually seems a handy pick up to come in as depth because of his consistency thus far. Himmelberg can be a frustrating footballer in that his best & worst can fluctuate a lot but this year I reckon he's looked pretty solid.

So obviously Thilthorpe is our main guy as the 2nd ruck + 3rd forward. The question is are we mostly agreeing the order of our back ups on what we've seen this year?

1) Himmelberg:

Positives - Ball use around ground is typically very good in fact like Tex & Fog he seems capable of hitting accurate kicks to advantage of team mates when he goes fast. Extra height meaning a more challenging to match up on & probably a better outlet trying to exit D50 as a result. Has also this way of coming up clutch late in matches from time to time eg Showdown years back.

Negatives - Can be a bit soft. Not the best mark or especially tough in marking contests.

2) Burgess:

Positives - Bigger in size than Gollant so as above probably offers a bit more in certain areas. Seems to have found a way to hit the scoreboard in his matches. Has a very long leg. Seems to be pretty consistent in his effort & output even when we were diabolical early in year.

Negatives - Doesn't seem the most athletic guy eg aerially or speedy, perhaps also gets a little lost at times though is at a new club & limited AFL opportunity however.

3) Gollant:

Positives - You'd have to say looks a more talented & polished footballer than say Burgess when he can get the ball. Can compete a bit harder aerially & also offers better pressure at ground level.

Negatives - Size is a bit on the smaller side so less beneficial as a marking target to exit D50 & gets lost a bit in how to stay involved. Never really had that game where he's stood up to me and convince me there's something there to keep around.

What's everyone else's thoughts? It's a shame Gollant isn't a big bigger, feel like for the role he gets brought into play usually it does let him down & impact his ability to have an impact or benefit us. Burgess to me actually seems a handy pick up to come in as depth because of his consistency thus far. Himmelberg can be a frustrating footballer in that his best & worst can fluctuate a lot but this year I reckon he's looked pretty solid.

Overall I think Himmelbergs size alone probably gives him the tick as he can hold his own in the ruck too.

Was surprisingly not terrible in his few games before he got injured last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall I think Himmelbergs size alone probably gives him the tick as he can hold his own in the ruck too.

Was surprisingly not terrible in his few games before he got injured last week.
Yeah he's been a decent back up in recent weeks imo. I like his ball use up the ground, not dissimilar to Tex & Fog who seem to be able to pull off aggressive kicks to advantage that result in scores. Our other back ups not so much in this area.

1) Himmelberg:

2) Burgess:

3) Gollant:

Draft Toby Murray this week and play him straight away

Delist the other three and go again at the draft

Draft Toby Murray this week and play him straight away

Delist the other three and go again at the draft
With respect it's insane to delist all your depth in these areas. Only need to look down back this year to know we've turned to Borlase who is 4th in line numerous times. Not everyone is going to be a star world beater. All sides need good plug & play depth.

Definitely someone of those 3 will be gone at the end of the year but I'd be surprised if we cut 2 of them, especially with Tex nearing the end.

Unless Rankine magically gets fit, can't see any changes at all after that sort of win.

Thought Berry was solid coming in as sub, might be his new best position.

Shoenburg looked lightyears better than McFumbly too.
If it's a case of Shoey vs McSpudry it's Shoey everytime. He'll get better as he works his way into match fitness as well.

With respect it's insane to delist all your depth in these areas. Only need to look down back this year to know we've turned to Borlase who is 4th in line numerous times. Not everyone is going to be a star world beater. All sides need good plug & play depth.

Definitely someone of those 3 will be gone at the end of the year but I'd be surprised if we cut 2 of them, especially with Tex nearing the end.

We know all three are not going to be consistent AFL players. All three are basically bodies we can add to the AFL side in emergencies to play a simple role.

I don't think it matters too much who those players are. Can we have that KPF be someone that fills a role if needed, but might also have potential to be an AFL quality player? I think there's one space for maybe one maximum mature tall forward on the list who isn't AFL quality but is backup. We have three. That's list clogging.

Bring in Murray who is a mature pickup, draft another tall, add Welsh, maybe keep Burgess on the list. Let Himmelberg leave for the compensation if we get it.

Horse for courses...

Ins: Himmelberg, Curtin, Hamill
Outs: Burgess, Borlase, Smith (managed)
B: Michaelanny, Butts, Hinge
HB: Laird, Keane, Nankervis
C: Sholl, Soligo, Jones
HF: Rachele, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Himmelberg, Fogarty
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Schoenberg
I: Hamill, Crouch, Curtin, Berry
Sub: Murphy

Really would like Taylor to come in soon.
If Berg is fit then he is in, if it is wet then Borlase out ( can Max play taller?) and either Taylor or Dowling in (one to be sub)

1) Himmelberg:

2) Burgess:

3) Gollant:

Himmelberg who turns 26 next month debuted in August, 2018 (read: he's been around for a long time).
Highlights are few and far between.
I remember a Showdown where he had been quiet, turned it on and actually affected the game outcome. Occasionally takes a good mark, makes a good pass to a teammate, but my impression is he's underperforming for his height and experience.
I'd like to see him muscle-up a bit (Burgess could help him with that) which would make him stronger in packs and contested marks.
Burgess as you said is fair depth. Looks like that's it, but we'll see I suppose.
You nailed Gollant with this: "It's a shame Gollant isn't a big bigger, feel like for the role he gets brought into play usually it does let him down & impact his ability to have an impact or benefit us". At 22 Gollant has most upside, if he wants it enough.

I think the onus is on all three of them to work harder, to get better.
That's what good players do; they improve.
With some muscle and extra fitness, Himmelberg could be a high-impact roaming CHF.

Currently, it looks like all three of them are in their own little comfort zone, seemingly happy to do what they do and play where/how they play and that's reflected in the fact that none of them appear to want to be best-22, or they would have been by now.

Last edited:
Himmelberg who turns 26 next month debuted in August, 1998 (read: he's been around for a long time).
Highlights are few and far between.
I remember a Showdown where he had been quiet, turned it on and actually affected the game outcome. Occasionally takes a good mark, makes a good pass to a teammate, but my impression is he's underperforming for his height and experience.
I'd like to see him muscle-up a bit (Burgess could help him with that) which would make him stronger in packs and contested marks.
Burgess as you said is fair depth. Looks like that's it, but we'll see I suppose.
You nailed Gollant with this: "It's a shame Gollant isn't a big bigger, feel like for the role he gets brought into play usually it does let him down & impact his ability to have an impact or benefit us". At 22 Gollant has most upside, if he wants it enough.

I think the onus is on all three of them to work harder, to get better.
That's what good players do; they improve.
With some muscle and extra fitness, Himmelberg could be a high-impact roaming CHF.

Currently, it looks like all three of them are in their own little comfort zone, seemingly happy to do what they do and play where/how they play and that's reflected in the fact that none of them appear to want to be best-22, or they would have been by now.
He debuted the year he was born?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Round 12 vs Horks - Sat 1st June 1:15pm

Back