Preview Changes: Round 12 vs Horks - Sat 1st June 1:15pm

Who are you tipping this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Riley Thilthorpe's injury timeframe counting down in dog years?

I could have sworn they said it was a 12 week injury when it happened 2 weeks out from the season.

It's round 12 this week and he's still 5-7 weeks away.
Remember b crouch. Listed as 3 weeks, 2 weeks later it was 4 weeks then fast forward 4 weeks it said 3 weeks then a weeklater it said indefinite....the never ending recovery

I'm going to be in Melbourne for work, so thought I'd go to the game.
Just looked up tickets. I'm very confused. Tickets for $80?? Are they on drugs? Do the tickets come with drugs?
Also looks like it's almost sold out - lots of bays with single tickets only. Seems odd given there is likely to be about 25000 there.
Might give it a miss if it's going to cost that much.

Good to see some positivity in the forum.

Booked a flight from Sydney for a day trip so I can watch the game. Hope both approach with attacking footy.

DJ75 , that's concerning about the tickets. I doubt it would be sold out. Maybe more will be released later this week.

Just looked up tickets. I'm very confused. Tickets for $80?? Are they on drugs? Do the tickets come with drugs?
Also looks like it's almost sold out - lots of bays with single tickets only. Seems odd given there is likely to be about 25000 there.

You could just buy general admission tickets for $27 and sit in many locations, but they won't tell you specifically where until just before the game

Sold out - look forward to 100,000 screaming fans!

My mates and I were at the Collingwood match at the G. We bought good seats in the Olympic Stand for $40. The ground level seats are more expensive and you will be surrounded by Hawthorn diehards.

Above the first 10 rows in the Olympic Stand it is general admission. This area wasn’t filled for the Collingwood match at there was a crowd of 65,000.

Did you watch the match?

Laird was named in the top 4 players on the ground by both groups of coaches. Earlier this month Laird was given 10 coaches votes, ie best on ground by both sets of coaches.

Haters gotta hate………..
Not a midfielder.
Slow as a turtle.
Can't kick.
Nothing but a stat padder.
That's a popular opinion on here too.

Last edited:
If we're going for the win, only one change is likely here;

In: W Hamill / Out: J Borlase

Hawthorn are pretty light on for key forwards, so Borlase isn't likely to be required this week. Keane can take Chol, Butts can take Gunston. The latter is a bit of a concern due to the speed difference, but I don't think we have many alternative options. I think we could get away with playing Hinge on Dear. Alternatively, we could go for Curtin instead and play him on Dear (both are similar sizes and ages), but I can't see our coaching staff doing that. Himmelberg comes in for Burgess if he's fit.

If we were forward thinking and abandoning finals hopes for this season (since even if we somehow made it, we wouldn't make an impact in them anyway), something more like this would be preferred;

In: Curtin, Taylor, Strachan, Dowling.

Out: Smith (omitted), Laird (omitted), O'Brien (omitted), Soligo (managed).
An inside mix of Schoenberg/Taylor/Dawson/Crouch, with some Rachele and Dowling added in, would be good to get a look at. If Soligo needed to be subbed out because he's playing sore, we really should just rest him. I don't see any need to jeopardise his body long term. Curtin should be playing exclusively on flanks and wings.

Last edited:
My mates and I were at the Collingwood match at the G. We bought good seats in the Olympic Stand for $40. The ground level seats are more expensive and you will be surrounded by Hawthorn diehards.

Above the first 10 rows in the Olympic Stand it is general admission. This area wasn’t filled for the Collingwood match at there was a crowd of 65,000.
I think the AFL might have closed the upper levels. According to ticketek it's not available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see some positivity in the forum.

Booked a flight from Sydney for a day trip so I can watch the game. Hope both approach with attacking footy.

DJ75 , that's concerning about the tickets. I doubt it would be sold out. Maybe more will be released later this week.
The only bays I seem to be able to buy tickets in are ground level behind the point post. Pretty much worst spot at the ground.
Think I'll buy general admission

I'd love to see Curtin in for Smith, but not going to happen. If we didn't drop Smith after the putrid vomit he served up early in the season, we're certainly not going to drop him after the (by comparison) masterclass he put on against the Eagles.

Unless there's an injury at training then I'd expect no changes.

1716851924720.png

Plenty of GA available. You won't have a problem getting a ticket.

GA are good seats

AFC article about Ryan, and Milera helping his development.

Does this mean it's happening?
Nah there's no way surely. If they want a smaller defender they'd pick Hamill over Ryan. Was one of the best in the SANFL and good the previous week in the AFL.

Only way I could see Ryan being picked this week would be if they simultaneously wanted a smaller defence and they wanted to rest Smith, so Hamill and Ryan for Borlase and Smith. But I think that's very unlikely.

Nah there's no way surely. If they want a smaller defender they'd pick Hamill over Ryan. Was one of the best in the SANFL and good the previous week in the AFL.

Only way I could see Ryan being picked this week would be if they simultaneously wanted a smaller defence and they wanted to rest Smith, so Hamill and Ryan for Borlase and Smith. But I think that's very unlikely.
dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

Brodie has been decent the last couple of weeks. If he didn’t get dropped early in the season when horribly out of form and injured, then it’s not happening now. Don’t think he’s under any threat until Worrell is fit.

Brodie has been decent the last couple of weeks. If he didn’t get dropped early in the season when horribly out of form and injured, then it’s not happening now. Don’t think he’s under any threat until Worrell is fit.
Yeah Smith isn't going anywhere, aside from injury/rest.

Players under most pressure prior to today’s game:

Burgess - he’s only a stop-gap for Himmelberg, who is only a stop-gap for Thilthorpe. Unsure if EH is available next week, but if he is, he’s in for Burgess

Smith - I thought he played well and I very rarely think he plays well. Not getting dropped. Will be interesting to see if he can play to that level in more challenging game.

Jones - 3 goals. Not going anywhere. Will be interesting to see if he gains confidence from this to carry into next week.

Sholl - game high disposal winner. Not going anywhere. Will be interesting to see if he can build on this and start to be more damaging by foot (took the easy option a lot today rather than being overly creative).

Borlase - was ok, but not really placed under any pressure. 50/50 to hold his spot depending on what kind of balance we elect to go for in defence. Hamill, Curtin and Ryan are the possible replacements.

Berry - laid some amazing tackles as sub and then “almost” did a bunch of stuff. 50/50 to retain his spot. May even stay as sub again. I would personally retain him.

Schoenberg - when he got the ball he made the right decisions and executed very well. Not going anywhere.

Laird - I didn’t really rate his game but he got a lot of it. Was significantly better than he was against Collingwood so isn’t going anywhere. I’d like us to move on but it won’t be next week.

Nankervis and Cook - they shouldn’t be under any pressure at all, but i thought I should mention that both of them are looking more and more comfortable at the level. Cook didn’t do anything after half time, but he was repeatedly burned by teammates when working into space. His possessions are continually high value. Nank is just a straight up jet. What a find he’s been.

Murphy - applied good pressure and was solid. Stays in.

If Himmelberg is fit….

Out: Burgess, Borlase
In: Himmelberg, Curtin

Sub: Berry

Emg (from): Taylor, Ryan, Dowling, Strachan, Borlase

B: Michalanney - Butts - Hinge
HB: Smith - Keane - Nankervis
C: Sholl - Crouch - Curtin
HF: Rachele - Walker - Schoenberg
F: Himmelberg - Fogarty - Murphy
R: O’Brien - Dawson - Soligo
Int: Jones - Laird - Cook - Keays
Sub: Berry

Nice breakdown.

Think the only change will be Himmelberg for Burgess, if H is fit.

9 goals collectively from Chol, Gunston & Dear, so expect us to stay tall down back.

Interesting to hear Fagan say that the primary issue for them on the weekend was being unable to stick tackles and prevent their run. Berry could certainly come in to lock the ball in around contests, but not sure who would make way. My guess is that he stays sub, and we pull the trigger on him if we start leaking goals from stoppages.

Soligo has been great this season, but there's certainly been a slight drop off since his game against Port. Like that we've given him a little break last week, but i could see us doing the same thing this week against the Hawks, with a 5 day break to Richmond the week after...

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Round 12 vs Horks - Sat 1st June 1:15pm

Back