Changes Round 4 v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fingers crossed.
While I’m here I might ask about cutler aswell, great to see him back in flight last week but what’s his role going foward this season do u imagine?

While I’m here I might ask about cutler aswell, great to see him back in flight last week but what’s his role going foward this season do u imagine?
He’s versatile, he can play both back and forward but he seemed to play mainly on the wing against Port and he was pretty good there.

Interesting to see a number of calls for Mathieson to be given a run in the 2's. I would have to disagree given he is our equal leading clearance getter, despite having played a game less. I would be reluctant to change what has been a strength for us in the early rounds.

I appreciate there is more to the game then clearances and he needs to work on his running and spread, but he needs an extended run in the 1's IMO to build senior level match fitness, not NEAFL level.

Personally I would given Rayner some time in the 2's and play him on the ball, instead of forward in the 1's just to aid his development.

Interesting to see a number of calls for Mathieson to be given a run in the 2's. I would have to disagree given he is our equal leading clearance getter, despite having played a game less. I would be reluctant to change what has been a strength for us in the early rounds.

I appreciate there is more to the game then clearances and he needs to work on his running and spread, but he needs an extended run in the 1's IMO to build senior level match fitness, not NEAFL level.

Personally I would given Rayner some time in the 2's and play him on the ball, instead of forward in the 1's just to aid his development.

His clearance work is great, there's no doubting that. If you look at his heat map from both of his games, it shows his bread and butter is the center clearance but he struggles to impact the game elswhere. He CAN do it, but isn't at the level of the fitness where it will happen. I think he'll make it - he has the drive and talent but realistically working on this in the NEAFL makes sense the same way it makes sense for Keays.

His clearance work is great, there's no doubting that. If you look at his heat map from both of his games, it shows his bread and butter is the center clearance but he struggles to impact the game elswhere. He CAN do it, but isn't at the level of the fitness where it will happen. I think he'll make it - he has the drive and talent but realistically working on this in the NEAFL makes sense the same way it makes sense for Keays.
Fair enough, I would still have to disagree though about going to the NEAFL. I just feel there is more benefit to giving him an extended run in the Seniors where he develops his senior match fitness while continuing to positively contribute as he has. If he was not contributing at all that would be an entirely different story. He also then allows for the likes of Beams to play a more balanced role rather than constantly getting bashed playing purely inside.

Heat map? Must be the new 'how many disposals' or 'metres gained'. Do remember watching Tigers bs Crows this year and they put Dusty's heat map up and was in the middle of the field but he did eventually kick 5. Our focus has been contested footy and this is what he brings. Did he get wasteful towards the end of the game with hack kicks out of the contest? Yes, but plenty of others did as well.

Heat map? Must be the new 'how many disposals' or 'metres gained'. Do remember watching Tigers bs Crows this year and they put Dusty's heat map up and was in the middle of the field but he did eventually kick 5. Our focus has been contested footy and this is what he brings. Did he get wasteful towards the end of the game with hack kicks out of the contest? Yes, but plenty of others did as well.

Using the heat map as supporting evidence to what I said seems a bit different to your example. In fact, I said it shows his game is built around the center stoppage where he is quite good.

I suppose the discussion is around who do we drop for Beams. If we drop Matho, we're not losing anything clearance wise (their clearance stars are equal from memory) but gaining on the outside.

If we drop Cutler, we're losing outside pace and a scoring threat which imo against Richmond will aid us more than having both of Beams and Matho in.

Just my two cents of course. I wouldn't be disappointed if Matho plays.

Using the heat map as supporting evidence to what I said seems a bit different to your example. In fact, I said it shows his game is built around the center stoppage where he is quite good.

I suppose the discussion is around who do we drop for Beams. If we drop Matho, we're not losing anything clearance wise (their clearance stars are equal from memory) but gaining on the outside.

If we drop Cutler, we're losing outside pace and a scoring threat which imo against Richmond will aid us more than having both of Beams and Matho in.

Just my two cents of course. I wouldn't be disappointed if Matho plays.
My thoughts exactly.
We need to retain all the pace we can in this game.
Beams is an obvious upgrade on Matho as he excells both inside and out witout losing any pace in the team.

Beams in
Matho out

I can't see matho being dropped. He is playing his role, getting plenty of clearances, which we were poor at last season. I think either rainer or bewick will make way for beams. Cutler showed some spark in the 2nd half, I want him to get more opportunities in the seniors

I think keep matho in. I see us having an advantage in ruck so need to capitalise and dominate clearances. If we can dominate clearances and break even on contested possessions it will take us a long way to being competitive with most teams (including the premiers).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are a side that run hard all game and live off turnovers.

I think that Mathieson’s kicking and endurance issues make him a dicey fit for that matchup. I’m with Nunez on this; Beams gives you equally good inside work and he’s far better outside. Plus, as Quigley alluded to recently, there’s a decent chance that pulling Mathieson out gets you more from Berry. I’d be keeping Cutler in.

As buttermuffs said in the positives thread that if the likes of current first year players eg Bailey, Starc and Payne (maybe others) turn out like Berry, Hugh, Witho and Cox last year then second half of this season will be interesting for match committee.

We seem to be building nicely, but we still lack ball winners and are carrying a few who aren't up to standard endurance wise. With zorko getting the tag we don't really have anyone aside from Beams who we can rely on to get 25-30 possessions every week.

You can forgive some of the low possession counts on the weekend for various reasons, but i think mathieson, cox and rayner have to be under pressure due to their combination of lots of bench time and sporadic involvement. Rayner gives us something in the forward line, but the other two don't do enough to make up for their bench time.

I think the speed issue is major. It has to be Mathieson our for DBeams.
Hodge may need a rest but need him in until Rich is back (I am not comparing - imagine if Dan could marshall
Rayner might enjoy some midfield time in the NEAFL.

He’s versatile, he can play both back and forward but he seemed to play mainly on the wing against Port and he was pretty good there.
For the 3rd time I will ask.........was he playing on Polec on the wing? Their BOG? Sorry I didnt see the game. Cutler .

For the 3rd time I will ask.........was he playing on Polec on the wing? Their BOG? Sorry I didnt see the game. Cutler .
They are not playing a man on man defence this year. I am watching the first quarter again at the moment and they, so far have not been sighted near one another.

What I am trying to ascertain is if Cutler was playing on Polec? Heard mutterings that Cutler did ok with a lively performance against Port but was he only travelling one way with Polec having open slather? Has Cutler been in the twos to improve his defensive side? I dont know .........perhaps McLug was playing on Polec.

What I am trying to ascertain is if Cutler was playing on Polec? Heard mutterings that Cutler did ok with a lively performance against Port but was he only travelling one way with Polec having open slather? Has Cutler been in the twos to improve his defensive side? I dont know .........perhaps McLug was playing on Polec.

Probably about 6 blokes played opposed to Polec

It's been answered for you. No one plays man on man any more. They are all drilled on zone defense/offence system of play. Even ruck-man once the center bounce is completed they go their separate ways. Trying to find someone to blame for Polec's dominance is futile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back