Prediction Changes v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the bit that gets lost in the debates on NGA, there's already been public comments about how at least some recruitment teams will play it safe when faced with a choice between two equally rated players, picking the one that comes from a "stable" environment.

Due to many reasons that's on balance going to disadvantage indigenous recruitment, and one of the things I love about AFL is the incredible skills our indigenous people have brought to our home grown game over a long period.

There should be some counteracting measures, otherwise the ongoing march of professionalisation will greatly reduce one of those special points of our game.

I think Sydney have led this, and I remember them comparing it to shares.

If you buy Shares, you don't want to buy the high risk share, you want to buy the low risk share if you have a choice.

I would guess, that with a limited soft cap for coaches, the players who need a lot of help would be too much work for the limited staff you have.

I wonder if the Clarkson, Fagan has had an impact as well.

Sydney in Sydney with Davies & Draper as our 2 tall KPD looks mission impossible but I'm intrigued to see how it'll play out.

Can't leave them isolated that would be a disaster so I'm interested to see what the do to cover for them.
Could you imagine… if they went all right?

I reckon they bloody will. It’s a story in its own right. Yeah the odds are against them, but thats what makes this all the better and we will all be barracking for em.

If they come out of this having played their roles, and touch wood, contribute to a win… it’s probably worth 10 games of experience alone, not to mention the belief and confidence gained.

My gut says they should feed off each other with an unbridled want, to please their team mates and ensure Ryan’s directives are met, going another cog from games prior without realizing it.

Playing them is also unconsciously telling the midfield you might want to step it up a notch to help the kids out.

I bet Pearce has already been in their ears looong before we all caught wind and tell me Ryan ain’t the perfect bloke to be with them who might just help pull this crazy $hit off!

Last edited:
Enter the mandatory voice of hand wringing and gloom (I do this to appease the gods, you understand) - if we don't get crushed by 100 points, I'll be relieved. Of course a win would be pure Bliss Consciousness!

We had plenty of easy set shots and snaps that were simply missed under zero/little pressure. Check the maps on the @AFLxScore twitter.

JOM, Switta, Brayshaw missed 4 snaps between them from 25-30m out from little angle.

Voss, Frederick, Amiss missed 3 set shots around 40m out from little angle. Voss, Treacy, Sharp and Switta missed 4 more set shots from a slightly worse (but still easy) angle about 35m out.
I am prepared to bow in the face of data but lets see what happens this time round on a pretty small ground. Does anyone else wonder why it was so important for us to get an "MCG" dimensions ground? Hasnt seemed to bother Sydney too much.

I reckon they bloody will. It’s a story in its own right. Yeah the odds are against them, but thats what makes this all the better and we will all be barracking for em.

If they come out of this having played their roles, and touch wood, contribute to a win… it’s probably worth 10 games of experience alone, not to mention the belief and confidence gained.

My gut says they should feed off each other with an unbridled want, to please their team mates and ensure Ryan’s directives are met, going another cog from games prior without realizing it.

Playing them is also unconsciously telling the midfield you might want to step it up a notch to help the kids out.

I bet Pearce has already been in their ears looong before we all caught wind and tell me Ryan ain’t the perfect bloke to be with them who might just help pull this crazy $hit off!
LOVE IT!! LFG!!!!!

Weirdly enough, I am more confident we win this game then I was say v the Dogs away. Not sure what it is but just feel like the Swans are very gettable this weekend. They have been coasting through a few recent games and really only using a 5-6min burst to pull away. If we can win the inside midfield battle (which we really should) we are a very good chance.

Against GWS, Swans went on a 10 goal streak then held on to win.
Against Adelaide, Swans were losing before a 10 goal streak to win.
Against the Cats, Swans gave up the first 6 goals, went on a 5 goal streak, then another 4 in a row to win.
Against the Dogs, Swans only pulled ahead with a 4 goal run.

We just need to deny them a run of goals.

Their (Draper and Davies) ability to have success this weekend 100% is dependent on the midfield and half forward line creating dirty ball and slowing entries.

If they get clean entries into the F50 we will get shit kicked, if we can slow it down and give our mids / ruckman a chance to get back and support we can make it a real contest.

Should've been

Out: Pearce and Worner
In: Walker and Erasmus because Worner is not a good candidate for sub.

Walker Davies Wagner
Clark Ryan Chapman
Sharp Young Brayshaw
Fred Jackson Switkowski
Amiss Treacy Sturt

Darcy Serong Johnson

Aish O'Meara Banfield Fyfe

Erasmus

Erasmus is an accumulator that runs all day. Has had no impact when used as the sub.

Against GWS, Swans went on a 10 goal streak then held on to win.
Against Adelaide, Swans were losing before a 10 goal streak to win.
Against the Cats, Swans gave up the first 6 goals, went on a 5 goal streak, then another 4 in a row to win.
Against the Dogs, Swans only pulled ahead with a 4 goal run.

We just need to deny them a run of goals.

Easier said than done without Cox and Pearce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am prepared to bow in the face of data but lets see what happens this time round on a pretty small ground. Does anyone else wonder why it was so important for us to get an "MCG" dimensions ground? Hasnt seemed to bother Sydney too much.

Here is some more data in the link below. We didn't get an "MCG dimension ground" with the new stadium. It is somewhere in the middle of all the main grounds and much closer to the SCG than the MCG in area.

We have it's just they've been delisted or traded.
Since Pearce we have

Bennell - delisted
Yarran - delisted
Hamling - traded
B Hill - traded
Matera - delisted
Wilson - delisted
Carter (NGA) - delisted
Butters (NGA) - delisted
Thomas (NGA) - delisted
Henry (NGA) - traded
Benning (NGA) - delisted
Williams (NGA)

Hamling, Wilson and Henry last year were getting games for us.

Unfortunately I do think some of it has to do with our drafting policies like ubiquitous226 said. I do think it’s quite telling that we haven’t drafted a non NGA indigenous player since Yarran in 2016.

We were in the market for Kozzie, Kelly & Brockman

Missed out on Motlop due to rule changes.

Probably stuffed not getting NWM over Ras.

But there's just not as many available to draft overall, which is a whole separate and societal issue.

They’ve played heaps of WAFL together, which is a huge positive

Since Pearce we have

Bennell - delisted
Yarran - delisted
Hamling - traded
B Hill - traded
Matera - delisted
Wilson - delisted
Carter (NGA) - delisted
Butters (NGA) - delisted
Thomas (NGA) - delisted
Henry (NGA) - traded
Benning (NGA) - delisted
Williams (NGA)

Hamling, Wilson and Henry last year were getting games for us.

Unfortunately I do think some of it has to do with our drafting policies like ubiquitous226 said. I do think it’s quite telling that we haven’t drafted a non NGA indigenous player since Yarran in 2016.

I think they should expand NGA to include the metro area for indigenous players and extend cat b to 4 years, to compensate for the slower development through school. Probably retain the top 40 exclusion as I believe the point is to get players not being picked up rather than letting you get top picks on the cheap.

I think they should expand NGA to include the metro area for indigenous players and extend cat b to 4 years,
Agreed. The metro kids slip through the cracks of society a bit. It's not even about development for football, but for life.

Probably retain the top 40 exclusion
Nope. Would rather there's a rolling limit for first round f/s & academy selections. 1 every year tops. Maybe 2 over 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back