Changes v. Tigers (Rd 9) - Gawn, Riley in for Frawley, Byrnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the one change for me. Boourns out & Blease in after a 30 touch game for Casey. Salem to start & Blease to be the sub. While Terlich butchers the ball I admire his endeavour & Clisby for me while competent last season was nowhere near as good as Terlich was last season.
PS. Keep Matt Jones. He has been good all season. It's a bit harsh to drop him after a couple of errors (Even if they were very costly)

Reckon that's a bit harsh on Jones, his skills are inconsistent - but he drilled some good passes last night, is fairly clean with the ball and has great pace... think he's more than a trier.

He was playing local footy 3 years ago, he could well end up a 100 game player.

Wasnt meant to be a damning assessment of Jones at all. Every team needs triers and blokes who work hard to set an example for the others. I just meant he is never going to be a star. Ive admired his efforts in most games this year. Like Pedo, easily in our best 22, which i wouldnt have said at the start of the year, i take my hat off to both of them. I gave Matt Jones votes in this game in the 426.

Salem out of the vest, or back to the VFL, kid needs a full game, can't develop playing 16 quarters of footy a year
Byrnes is the only bloke that needs to get the chop.

Unfortunately we just don't have an overwhelming amount of talent sitting in the VFL that can take on the roles we're deficient in so I'll stick with some poor execution for 4 quarter effort from our spuddier players till they can be upgraded/come good.

There's the changes we want and the changes that will happen. I have no idea, last week my heart said Salem will get a full game and Byrnes the sub. But my head said Roos likes the experience players. However I'm not sure what will happen with Byrnes, he played a full game and I didn't notice him. Salem had a 1.5 quarters and was noticeable straight away. Salem already looks like he knows where to run, it's not a coincidence that he scores a goal every game. Surely now Salem gets a full game, but I won't be suprised if Byrnes doesn't get dropped.

Terlich out for Riley, I know Riley needs to work on his defensive game but i want to see him have a crack down back, got better skills than Terlich.

Byrnes out for Blease, need Blease to break the lines and snag some goals.

Watts very lucky to stay in the side imo.

Bail and jones are our 2 hardest working outside runners, on one with better skill will replace them until people underneath are able to gut run deep into the 4th which they can't

Terlich and grimes are equally poor coming out of defence in fact when grimes isn't impacting 3rd man in like last week he is useless , I hate him in the midfield

Billy Stretch after a few preseasons?

Terlich out for Riley, I know Riley needs to work on his defensive game but i want to see him have a crack down back, got better skills than Terlich.

Byrnes out for Blease, need Blease to break the lines and snag some goals.

Watts very lucky to stay in the side imo.

What in the hell?

What in the hell?
he's having minimal impact, did a couple of things last night but was down from last week, he's consistently being in our bottom 5 player since round 3. Needs to improve on a consistent bases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's having minimal impact, did a couple of things last night but was down from last week, he's consistently being in our bottom 5 player since round 3. Needs to improve on a consistent bases.

He played well last night and was nowhere near bottom 5 player.

He used the ball extremely well, actually ran hard and saved two goals through tackles.

He played well last night and was nowhere near bottom 5 player.

He used the ball extremely well, actually ran hard and saved two goals through tackles.
I like a few of his tackles which was good, that one on Cooney should of been holding the ball. But watching last night he just isn't running into the right positions and creating enough options which he hasn't really done since round 2, I could only comfortably say he was better than Byrnes, Terlich and Grimes, he would be with a few others in the next group of minimal impact players. I think Toumpas would be playing his role a bit better at this stage so if he doesn't lift against the tigers I would be swapping them round.

I didn't think last night was much different from last week to be honest, he needs to do more - but he had more impact with the ball then a lot of guys getting higher numbers last night.

I like a few of his tackles which was good, that one on Cooney should of been holding the ball. But watching last night he just isn't running into the right positions and creating enough options which he hasn't really done since round 2, I could only comfortably say he was better than Byrnes, Terlich and Grimes, he would be with a few others in the next group of minimal impact players. I think Toumpas would be playing his role a bit better at this stage so if he doesn't lift against the tigers I would be swapping them round.

I agree with that, but I don't think that's something that gets you dropped... him, Dawes and Frawley have all got to work on knowing when and where each of them will be leading.

I thought he was much closer to our top 5 players last night then our bottom 5.

I didn't think last night was much different from last week to be honest, he needs to do more - but he had more impact with the ball then a lot of guys getting higher numbers last night.

I agree with that, but I don't think that's something that gets you dropped... him, Dawes and Frawley have all got to work on knowing when and where each of them will be leading.

I thought he was much closer to our top 5 players last night then our bottom 5.
I was just watching sometimes where I was thinking Watts is on here, make a strong lead, but he just floats around not creating an option, he by far could of had much more of an impact last night then he did, I'm more criticising him on not the things he did but on the things he should of done. Could of easily been way more involved in the game.

I was just watching sometimes where I was thinking Watts is on here, make a strong lead, but he just floats around not creating an option, he by far could of had much more of an impact last night then he did, I'm more criticising him on not the things he did but on the things he should of done. Could of easily been way more involved in the game.

Yeah, I agree - that's a pretty minor issue I'd think, just more him being aware of the space he should lead into.

I guess it's easier to judge exactly when and where a player should lead up on the 2nd and 3rd tier though ;)

Yeah, I agree - that's a pretty minor issue I'd think, just more him being aware of the space he should lead into.

I guess it's easier to judge exactly when and where a player should lead up on the 2nd and 3rd tier though ;)
of course it's easy to say that from the stands, buts its not just last night, yes he took 5 marks last night, some were just chip kicks, but the previous 5 weeks he hasn't taken more than 3 marks in a game, to me this is saying he just not creating options getting himself into the game.

There are other player who do create options, Toumpas who I thought was harshly dropped round 3 was creating options, taking 7 and 6 marks in his 2 games this year and was doing it in the NAB games as well, if there are other players going to create options playing a similar role then Watts must constantly create options week in week out.

Watching the game on TV i can see where some of the angst with J.Watts comes from . But i think he did ok last nite , and he is still one of the few that rarely butcher's the ball when he has it. To be fair to our forwards ,the balls coming in can be pretty random . If Roos thinks Watts is doing the job he is supposed to be doing ,its good enough for me.

From the 3rd tier behind the goals watts game was average which sounds offensive but that's what it was , he contributed defensively when needed but he needs to work on alot

Agree with Blackas87 watts almost looked like he doesn't want the ball kicked to him
No purpose at all in leading an wanting the footy but he also laid two of the most important tackles for the night so that's improving at least

Also every time he had the ball I lent over to my sister an brother and said watch this he will hit a target

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back