Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind when Bev is doing unpredictable moves like these.
Like in 2015 16 when we all scratched our heads at times.But kept winning.
If he was playing the trusty same olds and being stale l would be disappointed..
They must like or see something in the son of Simon.Or they wouldn't back him in so early. Good luck to him !

Has O'Donnell been any better than Busslinger the last 3 vfl games?

I haven't seen a lot of VFL footy, but Busslinger still looks to have a fair bit to work on particularly on the defensive side. His opponent Gruzewski (also drafted last year), kicked 3.2 and the coaches gave him 4 votes last week.

Cleary is the one perhaps unlucky unless he's injured. Was the traveling emergency last game and now isn't even listed as an emergency.

Toby McLean should be focusing on dropping 5kgs and getting his running capacity back on track, I know he’s recovering from brutal injuries and that sucks but he’s just not at the level required right now, he’s had more than enough chances this year
I saw him bust his arse doing repeat sprints during the pre-season. The sad fact is that his non selection is not a question of fitness, nor weight. it's one of speed and especially agility. Or the lack thereof. The latter he just hasn't been able to recapture since his knee injuries.

Could Buku be another promising player we lose because of not being selected when deserving of a chance.

Im not sure that Baku does enough when he's not catching the ball, to force his way into the side.

He also has the problem of being behind a log jam of players who's main attribute is the same as his.

I saw him bust his arse doing repeat sprints during the pre-season. The sad fact is that his non selection is not a question of fitness, nor weight. it's one of speed and especially agility. Or the lack thereof. The latter he just hasn't been able to recapture since his knee injuries.
Probably fair but he never played with much speed & athleticism and still covered the ground alright - just looks top heavy for mine, ever since his return VFL game last year. I think he could definitely slim down a bit in the hope of picking up a yard or two, I understand the knees but it’s not exactly a death sentence for a lot of players. He just looks built for a midfield role he’ll probably never get in this side

Toby McLean should be focusing on dropping 5kgs and getting his running capacity back on track, I know he’s recovering from brutal injuries and that sucks but he’s just not at the level required right now, he’s had more than enough chances this year
Completely agree - don't even care if it means he can't stick his tackles. Just needs to focus on getting his agility back.

and I’M BEVO!
negan GIF

Im not sure that Baku does enough when he's not catching the ball, to force his way into the side.

He also has the problem of being behind a log jam of players who's main attribute is the same as his.

JOD's selection above Buku and others has a bit of the Australian cricket selectors about it who sometimes pick a player out of nowhere they believe have potential. Given his cricket background this is probably at an apt analogy.

JOD's selection above Buku and others has a bit of the Australian cricket selectors about it who sometimes pick a player out of nowhere they believe have potential. Given his cricket background this is probably at an apt analogy.
I said somewhere else in here today or yesterday that we aren't averse to blooding young talls well before their time.

I was talking about the potential of Busslinger debuting this year. Im not sure that anybody could've seen JO'D being the one to be given an early introduction. Least of all JO'D himself it would seem.

If he was playing the trusty same olds and being stale l would be disappointed..
They must like or see something in the son of Simon.Or they wouldn't back him in so early. Good luck to him !
We have our own SOS 😀

Or maybe they don't rate Carlton.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said somewhere else in here today or yesterday that we aren't averse to blooding young talls well before their time.

I was talking about the potential of Busslinger debuting this year. Im not sure that anybody could've seen JO'D being the one to be given an early introduction. Least of all JO'D himself it would seem.

I'm definitely not against both guys playing this year. We kind of need to fast track these guys so they can take over from the older types we have in the side at the moment. Keath, Bruce and O'Brien have a pretty short lifespan left in the AFL

I thought judging by the stats last game Busslinger would be closer to a debut.

Actually think Carlton could be a little stretched for height in defence, they might need to hope McGovern’s body holds up.

Weitering - Naughton is a good match up.
McGovern - JUH is interesting, JUH is covering a lot more ground as his fitness builds and McGovern probably won’t want to run after him all night.
Young - Lobb is a good one if Lobb can play with a bit more aggression and make Young uncomfortable, can’t let him just intercept or jump over the back all game. Need to get him 1-1, or even better force a switch which ends up Young needing to compete with Astro, who would tear him a new one

O’Donnell’s inclusion just makes me wonder if he’ll be a swingman that will give a chop out forward and back when other talls are resting. Gardner & Jones will play 95%+ if not 100% TOG, but Keath and the 3 main tall forwards will all need breaks.

Anyway, this is a massive game and I hope whatever tactics we go for lead to a win. Baz will need to play more midfield minutes, let him run with Walsh head to head all night

How was it a masterstoke?
I'd argue his performance left a lot to be desired and he clearly wasn't ready. Instead of him remaining in the VFL, Bevo fast tracked his career.

Had the criteria been that he would be selected on merit, he never would have got a game and he probably would have been delisted after 18 months on the list.

Because Bevo persisted with him, and obviously saw something in him that many others didn't, we now have ourselves a competent key defender who may still be improving.

I guarantee you if Macca was still the coach, he'd have been delisted after 18 months with zero games to his name, and the result of that would be a hole in our current defence.

Actually think Carlton could be a little stretched for height in defence, they might need to hope McGovern’s body holds up.

Weitering - Naughton is a good match up.
McGovern - JUH is interesting, JUH is covering a lot more ground as his fitness builds and McGovern probably won’t want to run after him all night.
Young - Lobb is a good one if Lobb can play with a bit more aggression and make Young uncomfortable, can’t let him just intercept or jump over the back all game. Need to get him 1-1, or even better force a switch which ends up Young needing to compete with Astro, who would tear him a new one

O’Donnell’s inclusion just makes me wonder if he’ll be a swingman that will give a chop out forward and back when other talls are resting. Gardner & Jones will play 95%+ if not 100% TOG, but Keath and the 3 main tall forwards will all need breaks.

Anyway, this is a massive game and I hope whatever tactics we go for lead to a win. Baz will need to play more midfield minutes, let him run with Walsh head to head all night

I am surprised Kemp went out. Thought he had been solid in his two games and it would've allowed McGovern to stay as that intercept player. Docherty had been playing mid/hf since he came back in, guessing he moves back and probably to the loose man role, I don't love him as that option but Carlton seem too. Newman on Weightman seems obvious too.

Your matchups seem right. Weitering has definitely had the better of the Naughton matchup so far. In the 2021 game, I thought he was second BOG to Bont. Intercepted everything and shut Naughton down. Took 7 contested marks and it was only that Bruce dominated as the second fiddle and our midfield running over the top that we got the job done. Naughton is obviously an improved player than he was then though and it is such an intriguing battle.

Young matchup for JUH and Lobb both make sense. He got the better of Lobb in their Melbourne matchup last season and could definitely go back to that. Young had an absolute stinker last week, would be nice to put him under pressure early.

I'd argue his performance left a lot to be desired and he clearly wasn't ready. Instead of him remaining in the VFL, Bevo fast tracked his career.

Had the criteria been that he would be selected on merit, he never would have got a game and he probably would have been delisted after 18 months on the list.

Because Bevo persisted with him, and obviously saw something in him that many others didn't, we now have ourselves a competent key defender who may still be improving.

I guarantee you if Macca was still the coach, he'd have been delisted after 18 months with zero games to his name, and the result of that would be a hole in our current defence.

Was that a McCartney flaw? He had a lot of flaws as coach but he did give a lot of games to younger players. He was happy to let Lake leave to give Roughead the full back responsibility. I mean he gave games to Mark Austin and Markovic, I don't think he'd have any qualms about giving Gardner games.

I'd argue we still have a hole in our list because Bevo wouldn't persist in a different competent key defender but we've been there before and no need hashing that up again.

Last edited:
Oh Bevo.
Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

Good luck to JOD. Suspect he plays a bit of wing?
I really don’t see wing as an option personally - don’t think he looks suited to it even though he has some nice attributes that would suit in theory, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t play as an intercepting defender, but yeah how that works alongside Keath, Jones & Gards I’m not sure

I really don’t see wing as an option personally - don’t think he looks suited to it even though he has some nice attributes that would suit in theory, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t play as an intercepting defender, but yeah how that works alongside Keath, Jones & Gards I’m not sure
Time for the Liam Jones key forward redemption arc.

Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back